Topic Title: AMD HD 6450 - stange playback/update problems
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/28/2014 05:46 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/28/2014 05:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Xya
Peon

Graphics Card:
AMD Radeon HD 6450
~ No overclocking

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1247 (English)
Driver Version: 13.251.0.0
I bought this computer new from the manufacturer and could not/ did not  update the driver until recently as I started having issues. I do not have the previous driver.

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

Issue Details
I can watch videos or DVD movies for about 4.5 hours, or only have limited amounts of Flash elements running (including video advertisements) before one of two things happen:
~ The screen flashes to black, sometimes crashing the computer
~ The output becomes fuzzy and blips

Motherboard or System Make & Model
Dell XPS 8300

Applications and Games
Youtube/Vimeo/Blip videos, Windows Media Player, browser Flash elements or Flash applications.

CPU Details
Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
~ No overclocking

Motherboard BIOS Version

System Memory Type & Amount
...no idea.

Additional Details
So, I am kinda under the assumption that the direction this is heading in is toward messing with the registry, like in the sticky, since that has been the dealie that prompted this whole thing. I had started to look for solutions to this issue back in August 2013. I posted this here:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=440&threadid=167298

And then bad things happened in October. I went to Adobe's forums asking for help because of the driver crash problem that Windows was popping up, and at the time it was only happening during stuff with Flash elements. You can find that here:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/5774495#5774495

Life happened, I couldn't fix it, it got back-burner'd, I ignored it. Now it's bad.

Something completely jerked the driver I had at the time. When I tried to go through the Device Manager to update and whatnot, all the buttons were grayed out. It wasn't like that when I first started looking into things. I couldn't even disable the device, but according to the other tabs it was working fine. I used the cleanup tool to remove anything that was AMD, which also played with the sound card and removed that driver, too. That was special.

I did everything here, too, aside from sending a bug report:
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/video-playback-issues.html

And I downloaded this, but the application crashed while downloading:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

So I went here, downloaded this, which is now acting funky and crashes when I shut down my computer:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

It worked fine last night. Then earlier, it started flickering black again while there were things with heavy Flash elements on the screen. So, I updated Flash, which is now v12, thinking that with a shiny new update to my video card that this would work.

Nope.

So, fast forward to about 3 hours ago when I finished watching some DVDs, about 4.25 hours worth, and again with Flash applications. About 20 minutes through the playback of a Youtube playlist, it went fuzzy and blotchy like you were watching the video through syrup. And then the video window blinked to black and back. And then my screen flickered black again.

I restarted my computer because I figured it was going to crash and I had no patience for a BSOD.

I don't want to dive into the registry if there is something else I can do to fix this, if it's not the same issue as what is in the sticky. It's not giving the typical symptoms any more, so I don't know what's going on. I've updated everything I can update, cookies are cleared, my comp's been cleaned up and anti-virus'd, so I am confused.

Any help would be fantastic right now.

Thanks~

03/28/2014 10:13 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration in flash player?

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

03/28/2014 01:51 PM

Author Icon
Xya
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration in flash player?

It's actually been off for a while since it was an easily-reversable disable. I am pretty paranoid that my bad luck might infect my machine so I tried everything I could easily reverse first (like upgrading then resorting to downgrading Flash) before I had to do anything that might break it more. I'm pretty good at unintentonally breaking things.

03/28/2014 02:04 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Here is a list of previous drivers (use the drop down to show ALL drivers). Try installing the drivers that worked for you.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Statistics
85513 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.