Topic Title: HD 5850 Flash video frames dropping
Topic Summary: Also clock question
Created On: 03/29/2014 11:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/29/2014 11:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rapiollymega
Peon

Hello,

I have been having issue with flash videos latley. I try to watch them with HDMI dual display on a big screen but the videos are usually jerky. Not to the point where it is unbearable but it is very annoying. The videos play just fine on my macbook.

Youtube stays show framedrops and with trying to watch the livestream via VLC also reports frame drops.

Flashplayer is updated. Catalyst is 13.12. Internet is fine, ~50mbit down. Have AMD phenom x4 955 3.2ghz, 8 gb ram and HD 5850. Video games work fine but this is some flash player issue. I posted on the other fourms as well but hoping for some answers here.

Also my clock is always at 400mhz/1000mhz when i do dual display (one hdmi and one vga connection) is this clock rate fine?

03/30/2014 11:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
-rascal-
Farming Materials

I was experiencing similar issues with Flash videos when I had my two radeon HD 5850's in my system as well. From my understanding, it was related to the GPU varying between idle, 2D, and 3D clock speeds. The speeds are dropping down too low, causing the GPU to underperform, as a result, jerky / lagging Flash playback.

This is caused by the energy saving feature built into the graphics card (and also what seems to be an on-going issue on Adobe Flash's end). One method of fixing this is disabled ULPS (Ultra-Low Power State).

The "issue' regarding about seeing your GPU frequencies at 400 / 1000 MHz is normal. When you connect multiple monitors to your system, the graphics card needs to run at higher speeds to drive the two displays. I mean, it needs to churn out all the pixels for two monitors instead of one.

-------------------------

FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Dual-X HD 7970 // Thermaltake Frio w/ push-pull (using Antec Formula 7 Nano-Diamond + Cooler Master JetFlo fans) // 8GB (2 X 4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX 2133MHz  // Corsair TX850 850W // Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD (OS) // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // Windows 7 Ult x64

Statistics
87623 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.