Topic Title: R9 290 Screen Freezing
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/01/2014 10:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/01/2014 10:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
CommodoreBluth
Peon

Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 GAMING

AMD Catalyst Driver Version and Driver History: Catalyst Version 13.12. Had a XFX HD-587A-CNF9 Radeon HD 5870 before this which ran fine, however I downloaded the AMD driver removal tool and ran that before reinstalling the drivers for this new videocard.

Issue Details: The computer will randomly freeze up. When it happens the screen just freezes and if there is sound playing it will skip for a few seconds before stopping. I don't get a blue screen or any error, everything just stops responding. The only way to fix it is with a hard reboot. The event viewer in Windows doesn't show anything other then Windows was unexpectedly shut down. I've downloaded a blue screen viewer but it doesn't show any errors so it doesn't seem to be generating any Windows errors when it happens. This has only happened when I haven't been gaming, such as when I'm just using a web browser or a web browser and watching a video.

I have downloaded the latest beta version of MSI Afterburner and set it to send constant voltage to the card and disable the low profile mode, which did seem to help a little bit but it continues to happen. The card doesn't seem to be overheating, I'm just using a web brower now and GRPU temp reported by GPUZ is 35 degrees.

It will sometimes go only a short amount of time without freezing (maybe half an hour or so), other times it will go for hours and hours without freezing.

Motherboard:  GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3

Power Supply: XFX Black Edition XPS-850W-BES 850W ATX12V / EPS12V

CPU Details:  AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3
No Overclocking is being done on this processor.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm thinking it may be a power issue at this point but I'm not 100% sure.

04/01/2014 11:17 PM

Author Icon
CommodoreBluth
Peon

I was running GPU-Z when I had a freeze again and nothing semed out of the oridnary. I was watching a video so the GPU temp was a bit higher then normal (around 49 Degrees). The 12volt in line was at 11.88, which is what it seems to be fairly normal, it seems to fluctuate between 11.88 and 12 Volts.

04/02/2014 01:57 PM

Author Icon
heavywater
Peon

This sounds abit like the errors i had with my old graphics card.
It often froze my Screen, and sometimes i got a white screen
(also became very hot)

For me, a Bios re-flash worked, perhaps you can try it

04/02/2014 07:10 PM

Author Icon
CommodoreBluth
Peon

I'll see if I can find a new Bios online and give that a try.

One of the odd things I've also noticed is the freezing issue seems to stop after I play some games for awhile.

The first day I got the card I didn't notice any freezing at all, but pretty much as soon as I got it in and installed the drivers I did some benchmarks and played some games. The next two days I would get the freezing until I played some of the new Bioshock DLC or Team Fortress 2, then the computer would run 6+ hours without freezing.

04/02/2014 09:05 PM

Author Icon
TRock
Peon

I sometimes get the same error while starting GPU Tweak. Can u  uninstalling MSI Afterburner, CPU z, hwmonitor and all those kinds of application , then try again?

04/09/2014 05:12 AM

Author Icon
CommodoreBluth
Peon

For anyone with the same problem I solved this problem by using the default custom fan profile with MSI Afterburner. The default fan speed on the Bios for the card was 18%, which I guess wasn't keeping the card cool enough. The default fan speed in MSI Afterburner is around 40% and that seems to be keeping the card cool and preventing it from freezing.

04/10/2014 04:43 AM

Author Icon
lukas108
Peon

@CommodoreBluth   How situation has been going from this time? All's OK?

-------------------------
AMD Phenom x4 965 BE, MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G, 16 GB RAM DDR3, 1 SSD + 5 HDD, WIndows 7 64bit
 04/12/2014 07:54 PM

Author Icon
CommodoreBluth
Peon

Originally posted by: lukas108 @CommodoreBluth   How situation has been going from this time? All's OK?

Yeah so far so good, haven't had any freezes even when having the computer on for long peroids of time (14+ hours in a single day).

04/13/2014 02:36 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

Good.

WOULD NOT ADVISE ANY BIOS REFLASH ON A GPU UNLESS ADVISED BY CARD MANUFACTURER.

Non-noob components.

04/14/2014 03:01 PM

Author Icon
DjGroves
Peon

I had this for ages, found a thread on here a month or two ago where someone had installed GPU Tweak and overclocked the 2D clocks, I can't recall the settings to hand but bascially a 50% increase on the larger number and double the lower one.

If that makes sense.

Fixed it for me ever since.

04/17/2014 04:55 AM

Author Icon
CommodoreBluth
Peon

Originally posted by: DjGroves I had this for ages, found a thread on here a month or two ago where someone had installed GPU Tweak and overclocked the 2D clocks, I can't recall the settings to hand but bascially a 50% increase on the larger number and double the lower one.

If that makes sense.

Fixed it for me ever since.

Thanks I'll look into this, I've had it freeze on me once since I last posted so it seems like increasing the fan speed has greatly reduced the issue but not completely elimiated it.

I'll look into GPU Tweak, that solution does make a lot of sense since this only happens to me when I assume the card is in 2D mode (such as web browsing and watching videos) and not 3D mode (when playing games).

04/18/2014 04:51 AM

Author Icon
Pretelethal
Peon

Ive been having this problem since the get go. Right when I bought my Diamond R9 290x. I managed to reduce the freezing by setting my clock from gpu to 947 and memory clock to 1150 using trixx. And setting fan to 100% at all times. It's loud and maybe not necessary but it has helped I still freeze though from time to time but its on hours on end. I really would like to know why this is happening and how to stop it for good. Because I really dont want to RMA. 

04/18/2014 06:42 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

Have you told us everything that is in your case??  yes    no

For now...turn down that fan before you break it.

Uses 290 watts.  Have you adjusted power levels in PC?

Have you adjusted power levels  for your motherboard?

Have you adjusted power levels in CCC?

What are your temps?  How much power do you have available?

Have you read tfm??

Non-noob components.

04/18/2014 04:13 PM

Author Icon
Pretelethal
Peon

Well for watts. If your asking if my psu has enough watts it does. 

And I dont know exactly what your asking for my power levels in motherboard. I don't use CCC anymore as well. Though I have no auto clocks or over clocking enabled on my card dsiabled everything that does that. And for temps I'm going to assume you mean my gpu temp? That stays around 40 to 60 degree C. When it would get up to 95 c thats when It would freeze the most

My psu if your wondering is a 1200 watt  

And I think i have told you everything in my case. Because when I put in my 760 gtx I get zero freezing. But as soon as a use my 290x I get freezing.

04/18/2014 11:01 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

PLEASE...someone....kindly help this PC "builder"...

Non-noob components.

04/19/2014 08:43 AM

Author Icon
Pretelethal
Peon

That would really be helpful for a beginner PC builder such as myself

04/19/2014 03:33 PM

Author Icon
Slayerx
Button Masher

Try replacing the tim on the card, you could have a small bubble in between the GPU and heatsink wich would couse the temp to spike and in turn couse the freezing.

Now I'm not sure if this will fix your problem but I have noticed that there's been a few people here having the same problem with the R9 series cards freezing or locking up, my self included. And like some ajusting the fan speed has fixed my problem. (for now)

It makes me wonder if either these R9 are really sensitive to temp or are they using really crappy tim??

FX 8320// Asus Sabertooth R2.0 // HIS R9 280x //8Gb of 1866Mhz ram, H50 cooling, HX850W psu all stuffed into a NZXT Phantom case.

Was a member of AMD Processer forum since 2008. Last post count 1818.

04/19/2014 03:41 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

Study this procedure before attempting !

Non-noob components.

04/19/2014 10:30 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

Originally posted by: Pretelethal I don't know if i want to try this though. I might just RMA.

Good plan

Non-noob components.

04/19/2014 11:38 PM

Author Icon
Pretelethal
Peon

I don't know if i want to try this though. I might just RMA.

AMD Support and Game » AMD Radeon™ Graphics » R9 290 Screen Freezing

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
84116 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.