Topic Title: PC restarts under load and blackscreens.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/29/2014 03:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/29/2014 03:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SirYar
Peon

Graphics Card

Reference Sapphire R9 290 (SAPPHIRE 100362SR), running at stock speeds (947/1250). I've installed the Gelid Icy Vision Rev.2 instead of the stock cooler around 4 months ago.

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
Cataclyst 14.3,14.4,13.12,13.10

Operating System
Windows 8.1, with the latest software updates.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
Gigabyte B85M-HD3

Power Supply

Corsair CX750

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
Samsung 24 inch SyncMaster2494HS monitor

CPU Details
Intel i5-4670, running at stock speeds. (3.4GHZ)

My PC restarts while under load. It completly shuts down for a few seconds and boots back up. I've started getting this problem around a week ago, when I first played BF4 after a few months. Before that, I had the nutorious black screens - no display, but the sound was still going.

I've run it through Furmark and Unigine Valley, and it restarts after a minute or so, specificly when the core temperature hits ~63C and VRM 1 hits 70+ (VRM 2 is sitting nicely at 55C). It can happen in ANY game, even on less demanding ones like Dota 2 - which is when I actually found out about the problem. (Although more common on more demanding ones like BF4 or Crysis 3).

The black screen issues I had before happent on higher VRM1/Core temps, but probably because of the constant restarting I don't get those. (Or maybe it's a different form)?

I've done a memory test, and my 8GB of RAM is working properly. Prime95 runs with no issue for a couple of hours, and CPU temps peak at around 65C. I've tried increasing the power limit to +50 - what happent on Valley is that the card stopped working but after a few seconds started working again, and kept repeating this until it eventualy restarted.

I've tried reinstalling the recent 14.4 and older beta drivers but nothing helped. I've played a bit with voltages with Afterburner, that didn't help at all. Even reducing the memory clock speed to 1100 and 1000 MHZ didn't help too. Tried legacy boot and other bios settings (gen 3 PCIE and what not) but that didn't help either.

I am 99% sure it's the GPUs fault, but I need some advice. Is there anyway to fix this? I would appretiate any help on the topic.

Edited: 04/29/2014 at 03:47 PM by SirYar
 04/29/2014 05:04 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

Consider that the cpu's core temp is actually 5C hotter than the cooler interface temp reading for that processor.   It may be throttling down/crashing the cpu performance as it heats up.  While specs allow you to go well beyond, temps should not be allowed to exceed 40-50C for less problems and long life  without liquid cooling.  Mobo should not be allowed to exceed those temps, too.

Would check voltages for that processor in your BIOS and bump it up incrementally if a low voltage problem.

Monitor all temps and attend to cooling issues/upgrades.

-------------------------

Non-noob components.

Edited: 04/29/2014 at 05:11 PM by UcouldBrong
 04/30/2014 02:00 PM

Author Icon
SirYar
Peon

Alright, I bumped up the voltage to 1.15V as suggested by someone on the internet. Its running on a stable 1.15 V, before that it switched between 0.7 and 1.1V when loaded.

I am still getting the same restarts, and when I increase the power limit to +20 for my GPU I get some funky BSODs - the screen turns black, but after a few seconds it starts working again, but keeps repeating until it finally restarts.

Any idea on what the problem is? I should probably just give up and RMA, but I really want to avoid that... (Putting back the stock cooler means that my current custom one will be unusable...)

04/30/2014 04:34 PM

Author Icon
SirYar
Peon

This is what finally fixed my black screens and restarts:

I reassembeled the stock cooler, with some brand new thermal paste, and by some magic it stopped restarting. I was able to survive through 10 runs of Unigine Valley (last time it barely got through 1). Coinsidence? I think not.

The tiny RAM and VRM radiators on the Gelid Icy Vision Rev.2 couldn't keep them cooled down enough. Add in the fact that the cooler puts out air into the case and you have the reason for all my problems - The sensetive Elpidia memory crashed from the over heating. The stock cooler was able to cool those down easily since they are connected to the main cooling block.

Yes, I returned to getting 95C, but now my card actually F***ing works. I am sorry I ever doubted AMD. I hope this might help you folks.

Statistics
84238 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.