Topic Title: One DVI output is way off (washed out, bad gamma). Radeon 5850
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/30/2014 05:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/30/2014 05:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
h82fail
Peon

Have a 5850(1gb), I think I have had this problem ever since new, but it finally discoverd it was the card the entire time.

When I first bought my 5850, I had it connected to a single 24" (245BW) + a 32" TV.  I always had gamma problems on the TV. I thought it was because of differences in the greyscale on video vs. pc.  I tried some work arounds but never got it setup great.

Now I have 3x 24" monitors on my desk, 2 via DVI, and one displayport.

Which ever monitor is connected to the lower DVI port is very washed out in the high end. 86% to 100% all just look white.  Darks look ok.  Its not the monitor, if i swap the cables my other monitor has the problem now.

I cant find any settings in windows that have been adjusted to revert.  Also when I use eyefinity mode, all are seen as a single monitor and any custom per display settings in windows should not work? In eyefinity mode the single monitor is still very washed out on the high end.

In CCC, if I adjust "desktop color" (only setting with gamma) all the way down as low as it goes to .5, the high end (whites) looks fairly right on the bad DVI port, but at the same time destroys the darks (0-15% all look black).  With eyefinity the only adjustments I can really make are "Display Color (digital flat-pannel)" or using the built in adjustments in the monitor.  Either one gets it nowhere near close, if i bring the high end down it always destroys the low end.

I am the only one to ever have this happen? Could it just be a bad cap/resistor or something that i can fix?

04/30/2014 07:41 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Sounds like there is an issue with the card, but it's not something you're going to be able to fix yourself. I would contact the manufacturer (Sapphire, XFX, ect...) and see if there is a known issue for which there is a fix (slim chance).

-------------------------
AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 04/30/2014 10:00 PM

Author Icon
h82fail
Peon

Thanks, I will try contacting Sapphire and see what they say.

04/30/2014 10:16 PM

Author Icon
h82fail
Peon

Sweet,  just came up with a work around.

Using HDMI port and cable w/(male DVI - female HDMI) adapter on the monitor.  (Top DVI port, HDMI port, and Display port in use)

All monitors working fine, guess I just cant use that DVI port..  Since I cant use both DVI ports and the hdmi at the same time...  Really not a problem unless I want to use 2xvga.. and that might still work even

Statistics
88947 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.