Topic Title: Games minimize to desktop randomly
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/16/2014 04:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/16/2014 04:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Gaflem
Peon

About 2 weeks ago, my games began minimizing to desktop randomly.  This started after I installed the 14.1 driver.  If I play in windowed mode then all it does is take focus from the game and I have to click on my window again to put focus back on my game.  I have not found it to happen any other time than in games.  I use windows 8.1.  I have uninstalled using the directions on the driver page and used the new amdcleaner.  I have an

ASUS HD7970-DC2-3GD5 Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP

05/28/2014 02:08 PM

Author Icon
jjk308
Peon

I have the same problem in an HP Pavilion P7-1417c, AMD A10-57700, HD 7660D integrated graphics, Windos 8.15 update.

It seems to be temperature dependent, does it much less with the case top off, but all temps look OK, pretty low.  Only started a few weeks ago, was fine before that.  Now it'll run Ok for a while, then go black, then right to desktop with the game minimized, and it'd take a few tries for it to come back on.  And after the first time it repeats at intervals.  Happens with Biohazard infinite, Gunslinger and before I opened the case, Plants vs Zombies.  Not exactly graphics stressing stuff and changing resolution does nothing.

05/30/2014 08:04 AM

Author Icon
jjk308
Peon

I got this reply from the Bioshock Infinite people:

Nathan._, May 29 13:26:

Hello Jjk308,

From the DxDiag it shows something is sharing the video card memory thus bringing it just below the minimum system requirements. Dedicated Memory: 498 MB. This may not be what is effecting as the graphics card is a newer card. The following is addition troubleshooting steps.

We would like to have you try the following troubleshooting steps to help resolve the issues you are experiencing.

• Ensure that you have Administrator privileges on the computer you are trying to run the game on.

• Update your video and sound drivers (refer to manufacturer’s website)

• Disable Background Applications
    It is strongly recommended to turn off all background applications when running graphically intensive programs. Many applications can cause errors such as GPFs, color scrambling, loss of sound effects or music, etc. Taking a minute to turn off these applications can save you the trouble of rebooting later. Background applications include such things as System Agent, Norton Utilities, Internet chat utilities, virus checkers and screen savers. Crash guard programs such as First Aid for Windows can also cause problems.

Windows Vista / Windows 7
1. Click on the Windows icon in the lower left corner of the screen.
2. Click on Start Search
3. Type in msconfig and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
4. Click the Continue button if the message "Windows needs your permission to continue"

appears. If this message does not appear, please continue to step 5.
5. On the General Tab, choose Selective Startup.

6. Uncheck the option to Load startup items.
7. Click Apply, then Ok, and restart the system when prompted.

• Uninstall and Reinstall Direct X
    It is possible that the version of Direct X running on your computer is encountering errors with the game you are trying to play. If this is the case, we advise uninstalling and reinstalling Direct X. The latest version of Direct X can be found here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

• Disable SLI/CrossFireX
    Many games do not support either the SLI or CrossFireX features of Nvidia or ATI video cards. It is advised to disable SLI/CrossFireX if you are running two or more video cards in the same computer when encountering issues. Please refer to manufacturer’s website for more details on how to enable/disable this feature.

• Lower Sound Acceleration

Windows Vista/7/8
1. Press Windows + R to bring up the run box
2. Type "control panel" without quotes, press ENTER.
3. Goto Hardware and Sound > Sound
4. Pick your sound device that is set as default
5. click Properties.
6. Go to the Advanced tab
7. Set "Default Format" to 44.1khz 16bit.
8. Click Apply and then click OK to accept the new setting and close the dialog box.
9. Click OK to close the Display Properties dialog box.
10. Restart Windows.

• Verifying the integrity of the game cache (only applicable if you have the Steam version of the game)
  • Right click on the game in the Steam library and select Properties
  • Navigate to the "Local Files" tab
  • Click "Verify integrity of game cache"

• Uninstall and Reinstall the game completely.
    There is a possibility that some of the files which are installed during the setup process are incomplete or corrupted. Try uninstalling the game completely and reinstalling it under its default or express settings.

If none of the above troubleshooting resolves the issue, please contact us back for further troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Nathan
2K Technical Support

I already did the verify bit in Steam but since this isn't game specific it can't be that.  Since video memory is automatically allocated by Windows I'm going to try reducing the programs running in the background. 

Right now I suspect a calendar program, VueMinder Lite, which does use graphics, but it's so useful I hate to uninstall it.  My AV is Microsoft Defender so that's not an issue.

Good luck and if anything workds I'll post here.

05/30/2014 02:27 PM

Author Icon
jjk308
Peon

OK.  I stopped the automatic running of the calendar program, restarted, tried Bioshock.  Instead of minimizing to desktop it just kicks out of playing to the game menu page you get when hitting "escape" to temprarily halt gameply.

I'm convinced the problem is inadequate video memory.  I'll try the BIOS next to assign a higher limit. - Whoops, can't do it with this APU and graphics.

I"m only running the 13.152.1.1000 driver.  When I feel brave I'll delete all of that and put the 14.4 on it.

Edited: 06/01/2014 at 03:11 PM by jjk308
 06/14/2014 08:30 PM

Author Icon
jjk308
Peon

Looks like its cured.  I found an "optional" Windows update from alst November I hadn't installed.

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon HD 7660D

Update type: Optional

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 software update released in September, 2013

More information:
http://sysdev.microsoft.com/support/default.aspx

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

It apparently worked, updated the graphics driver when the AMD Catalyst 14.4 installation failed to install the updated river, even though I uninstalled the old one IAW the AMD instructions.

Bioshock runs fine now.

The driver is  13.152.1.1000 just like before.  It must have gotten corrupted.    But the Catalyst Control center has been truncated.  Much smaller than before.

Edited: 06/14/2014 at 08:38 PM by jjk308
 07/21/2014 10:10 PM

Author Icon
Gaflem
Peon

Thanks for the reply jjk308.  I have been real busy so I haven't had time to mess with fixing my issue but I will try what you have suggested in your last post.  The games I run primarily are Rift, SWTOR, 7 days to die, Space Engineers, and Rust.  All have the minimizing issue.  It will be a couple of days before I can try this out but I will let you know.  Thanks again.

07/21/2014 10:27 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: jjk308 Looks like its cured.  I found an "optional" Windows update from alst November I hadn't installed.

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon HD 7660D

Update type: Optional

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 software update released in September, 2013

More information: http://sysdev.microsoft.com/support/default.aspx

Help and Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

It apparently worked, updated the graphics driver when the AMD Catalyst 14.4 installation failed to install the updated river, even though I uninstalled the old one IAW the AMD instructions.

Bioshock runs fine now.

The driver is  13.152.1.1000 just like before.  It must have gotten corrupted.    But the Catalyst Control center has been truncated.  Much smaller than before.

You would be surprised how many issues could be resolved if people spent a little time manually running Windows Update. Some of the 'optional' and 'recommended' updates, which are never installed/downloaded like 'critical' updates, include netframework and WDM updates that are 'critical' to a gamer. Updates from Microsoft are on the 2nd Tuesday of every month..so 15 minutes once a month? BTW...the record amount of updates found is 86. However, this was the only guy who reported back...

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

07/22/2014 04:52 PM

Author Icon
jjk308
Peon

I take back everything I said.  The "Update" is just an old driver.  The latest 14.4 from AMD seems to work better, with fewer "minimiizes.   I have no idea why it was 'cured" for a day by the update, just a matter of chance I guess.

It's not temperature, either.

I'd guess the video memory limit is the problem.  Either the upper limit is being hit or the automatic adjustment isn't working, glitching when some other memory demand kicks in.  A clue is that cutting down on the running programs seems to help a lot, but Steam and Origin can't be gotten rid of. 

if I had a graphics card where the video memory could be increased that might cure it but right now its not worth trying.

Statistics
86456 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.