Same problem after RMA my MSI R9 280X v1.0 board to MSI R9 280X v1.2 board...
try this, it can fix your problem...
How to set up MSI AB profiles:
1. Download MSI AB (Latest version). Make sure you include rivatunerstatisticsserver when you install it.
2. Before you do anything go in to settings and set unoficcial overclocking mode to "without powerplay", Restart MSI AB.
3. Enable "reset display mode on applying unofficial oc" , Restart MSI AB.
4. Now that you're back in MSI AB click the reset button, save this profile to 1.
5. Now make another profile, be it oced or not it doesnt matter. Save this to profile 5.
6. Go in to settings and go all the way to the right where it says "profiles".
7. On 2d profiles you use your profile 1. On 3d you use 5.
This will cause your GPU to reset itself and go back to stock thus letting it throttle whenever you're in 2d, it will engage 3d clock whenever you start a game or a benchmark or something.
There are some rogue applications that will trigger the 3d profile, the only one i know of this far is GPUz.
To keep MSI AB from engaging 3d clocks because of rogue apps like GPUz go to RivaTuner Statistics Server. On the left side you can see a bunch of pre listed programs. GPUz isnt there, to make MSI AB ignore GPUz and keep it from engaging 3d profile you must add GPUz here and put application detection level to None. Use the big + icon in the bottom left corner and browse to GPUz and add it, and then put application detection level to None on GPUz.
You can do this to all .exes as far as i know.
This should fix flickering/stuttering, because you're no longer letting your card decide . Its caused by your card being indecisive
Please AMD fix your power tune problem, it very buggy for 2D application core/memory clocks fluctuating, which causes the flicker..
Game for Fun..