Topic Title: HIS R9 280x issue
Topic Summary: Random flickering
Created On: 06/07/2014 01:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/07/2014 01:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AquiLaX
Peon

Hi Guys,

I have recently put together a new rig with an ASRock z87 MOBO and an HIS R9 280x. Problem I am having is that random flickering occurs while using google chrome or running games like League of Legends. This flickering eventually ends in a grey screen of death with vertical lines. The only way to recover from this is a hard reset.

I have tried updating BIOS, updating to the beta version of the R9 280x and am considering just sending the card back. Anyone have any solutions to this issue?

Best Regards,

AquiLaX

06/08/2014 06:00 AM

Author Icon
nironz
Peon

Me to..

Same problem after RMA my MSI R9 280X v1.0 board to MSI R9 280X v1.2 board...

try this, it can fix your problem...

How to set up MSI AB profiles:

1. Download MSI AB (Latest version). Make sure you include rivatunerstatisticsserver when you install it.

link: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/msi_afterburner_beta_download.html

2. Before you do anything go in to settings and set unoficcial overclocking mode to "without powerplay", Restart MSI AB.
3. Enable "reset display mode on applying unofficial oc" , Restart MSI AB.
4. Now that you're back in MSI AB click the reset button, save this profile to 1.
5. Now make another profile, be it oced or not it doesnt matter. Save this to profile 5.
6. Go in to settings and go all the way to the right where it says "profiles".
7. On 2d profiles you use your profile 1. On 3d you use 5.

This will cause your GPU to reset itself and go back to stock thus letting it throttle whenever you're in 2d, it will engage 3d clock whenever you start a game or a benchmark or something.

There are some rogue applications that will trigger the 3d profile, the only one i know of this far is GPUz.

To keep MSI AB from engaging 3d clocks because of rogue apps like GPUz go to RivaTuner Statistics Server. On the left side you can see a bunch of pre listed programs. GPUz isnt there, to make MSI AB ignore GPUz and keep it from engaging 3d profile you must add GPUz here and put application detection level to None. Use the big + icon in the bottom left corner and browse to GPUz and add it, and then put application detection level to None on GPUz.

You can do this to all .exes as far as i know.

This should fix flickering/stuttering, because you're no longer letting your card decide . Its caused by your card being indecisive

Please AMD fix your power tune problem, it very buggy for 2D application core/memory clocks fluctuating, which causes the flicker..

-------------------------
Game for Fun..
 06/08/2014 06:20 PM

Author Icon
AquiLaX
Peon

Hi Nironz,

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it did not seem to work , the flickering and random grey screen of deaths are still occuring. Contemplating an RMA, which would suck bigtime .

I am running it with a 550w PSU, which should in theory be sufficient, but might be the problem?

Greetz,

Aquilax

Edited: 06/08/2014 at 08:55 PM by AquiLaX
 06/08/2014 07:41 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: AquiLaX Hi Nironz,

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it did not seem to work , the flickering and random grey screen of deaths are still occuring. Contemplating an RMA, which would suck bigtime

I am running it with a 550w PSU, which should in theory be sufficient, but might be problem?

Greetz,

Aquilax

Yes..it could be. That series of cards calls for a power supply of 600 watt to 750 watt..depending on the model. Try borrowing alarger power supply to test, or install the card in another computer with a larger PS to test it.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

06/09/2014 12:35 PM

Author Icon
AquiLaX
Peon

Thanks for the info. I have lowered the mem clock to 1450 for now and it seems to be doing the trick, which also suggests that my PSU is not strong enough. Will look into getting a stronger one and update

Statistics
85465 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.