Topic Title: R9 280x doesn't offer resolution greater than 1680x1050 in CCC
Topic Summary: The Desktop Properties in CCC only go up to 1680x1050. Or, if I use 1080p I get a black border, not full screen
Created On: 06/25/2014 04:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/25/2014 04:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Will7874
Peon

I have just installed a brand new Asus R9 280x graphics card.

I also have two brand new Asus VN248 24" monitors both connected via HDMI. One connects directly into the graphics card HDMI port, the other is plugged into the graphics card DVI port with DVI/HDMI adaptor.

I have Windows 8.1 64bit, latest Catalyst Control Centre and drivers. The PC and Windows is entirely stable, functioning, etc.

Two problems:

(1) Although catalyst correctly reports both panels have a max resolution of 1920x1080, this resolution is not shown and is not selectable in Desktop Management-->Desktop Properties. The max resolution shown is 1680x1050!

(2) If instead of selecting 1680x1050 I use HDTV-->1080p then I get a black border around the display, i.e. the monitor screen isn't filled completely. If I then go back to 1680x1050 the monitor screen is filled.

What is going on??

I have experimented with various settings in Catalyst (e.g. Scaling options) with no impact. In particular, the Scaling Options slider bar is permanently greyed out whether or not I check "Use the scaling values".

I'm amazed a brand new high end Asus graphics card paired with two brand new very standard Asus monitors can't work out of the box.

I've also found that the latest catalyst Control Center is relatively unstable with this card..

Thanks for any help!
Will

06/28/2014 08:24 AM

Author Icon
-rascal-
Farming Materials

If I am correct, resolutions about 1680x1050 is put into the "HDTV" category. So selecting 1080p under "HDTV" is okay. In fact, that is the setting I am using for my two monitors.

The black border can be removed by simply adjusting the Under-Scan / Over-Scan option within CCC. It is located in "My Digital Flat-Panels" >> "Scaling Options (Digital Flat-Panel)". Move the slider to 0% or to the Over-Scan end.

Did you mess with any of the settings under "My Digital Flat-Panels" >> "Properties (Digital Flat-Panel)"? Try unchecking the "Enable GPU Scaling" box, and make the "Enable ITC Processing" box selected.

I realize you mentioned the Scaling Option is grey-out, but set it 1080p and give it another try.

You are not 100% guaranteed that an ASUS Graphics card should work with an ASUS monitor. Besides, the Core component (the actualy GPU chip) is made through AMD, not ASUS.

-------------------------

FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Dual-X HD 7970 // Thermaltake Frio w/ push-pull (using Antec Formula 7 Nano-Diamond + Cooler Master JetFlo fans) // 8GB (2 X 4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX 2133MHz  // Corsair TX850 850W // Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD (OS) // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // Windows 7 Ult x64

06/28/2014 05:14 PM

Author Icon
Will7874
Peon

Thanks for replying.

So, before I read your post I finally managed to get the underScan/Overscan option to ungrey. I did this by creating a custom HDTV format in HDTB Support.

Then I could select 1080p and adjust the image to full screen. It's hard to tell if that is actually any different, but I think this is improved resolution.

So far so good. However today, I read your message and again check CCC. Now I find that in Desktop Properties I cannot even select 1080p (no HDTV is listed), yet a resoltion of 1920x1080 is listed.. Meanwhile the display looks as it did previously. I suspect I am viewing at 1920x1080 / 1080p, but it is worrying that CCC isn't showing all the options..

I have Enable GPU scaling unchecked and enable ITC Processing checked.

I take your point about ASUS/AMD.

Statistics
87613 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.