Topic Title: Powercolor R9 290 Blackscreen issue and amd driver crashes
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/05/2014 08:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/05/2014 08:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
seemax1991
Peon

Hello dear community,

after a long and frustrating way of troubleshooting thoose issues I have by myself and not solving them, I now want to search for help and advice in the AMD forums.
I hope I will be able to collect any informations necessary. If I miss something important please let me know and I will try to post them as soon as possible.

Informations:

Graphics Card
- AMD Powercolor R9 290 PCS+
- No, no OC or UC has been applied nor do I have a tool for it. Thought out of some reason (even after complete uninstall of AMD software) CCC tells me that Overdrive is active, no idea why.

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- Reinstalled Win7 after Card arrived 2 months ago
- Installed CCC 14.4 [OLD PSU] [BSOD when using HA for Flash, Blackscreen in Games being listed above]

- Uninstalled 14.4 and installed 14.6 (same issues) [OLD PSU]
- Uninstalled 14.6 installed 14.4 [Ordered new PSU 730W 30A/30A]
- After installation of new PSU I experienced quite the Performance boost but all issues were still happening.
- uninstalled 14.4 and installed 13.12 as a lot of people in the internetz say 14.4 and r9 sucks g**t ba**s and 13.12 seems to be the yet best drive to run the card series
- Indeed the card is currently running better with 13.12 than under 14.4. But all issues still occur. (first thoughts about doing RMA and switching over to NVIDIA - I never would have blieved to ever think about something like that but after spending all my money on this card drinking water and eating bread [honestly!!] for the left 3 weeks of that specific month and then experiencing something like BSODs when watching youtube really made me rage hard)
- BIOS update (no effect)
- Check of all software installed and removing possible causes (no effect)

Operating System
- x64 Win7 Pro Sp1
- none other OSs tested

Issue Details
the following list of iccues occured under serveral circumstances running mutiple additional software in the background. Please do not tell your costumers that we need to deactivate our MSOffice Note program or no-ip serice to run your graphics cards:

Thief, ArmAIII, Bastion, Peggle, Terraria, Blender and Plants vs. Zombies are currently the only softwares running without any problems ó.Ò?!??!?

List of games where the errors occured:

- Planetside 2 (currently the most horrific errors)
- ArmA II with ACE & ACRE (nearly as worse as PS2)
- DIRT 3
- GRID 2
- Agrarsimulator 13
- BMS Falcon 4.32 U7 (Oh player tries to land on 3-6 - better turn screen to black ;D)
- BF4 (yea I really made the failure and bought this peace of shitsoftware - first BF and last DICE game I will ever have bought. period. - shame on me - nobody is perfect - BTW AMD really did themselfs no favor cooperating with DICE there. May want to not do that next time. This game crashes where ever it can... "runs best with AMD" *smirks lol rofl*)
- Supreme Command 2
- Bus Driver (Do not ask...)
- Cisco Aspire Networking Academy Edition
- Crusader Kings II
- Mirror's Edge
- Neverwinter
- Euro Truck Sim II
- Endless Space
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Kerbal Space Program ( I luv thiz ***** so much <3)
- Deus Ex Human Revolution

Issues:

- Black screens all over the place
- After black screen under 14.4 my GPU kept running at 100% GPU Load and Max clocks for VRAM and GPU
- Under 13.12 I have no more the issue above, Black screens still occur thought
- AMD Driver Failures under 14.4 no longer experienced under 13.12
- Whenever a black screen occurs afterwards I have to restart the computer due to the fact that every software started after the issue laggs horribly(unplayable or at least lets say that when I turn my mouse the movement takes place about 0,5 to 1 second lazter and the FPS are droping to levels that satan can see the numbers floating in his living room)
- Sometimes the issue takes a while to occur and sometimes I am not even 5 minutes ingame
- For all available games I use the AMD Evolved performance optimization [SARC]which gets suggested by RAPTR to ensure me the best gaming experience E V E R DDDDDDDD[/SARC]

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- Gigabyte 970A-UD3 Rev3.0 BIOS FC

Power Supply

- Be Quite Pure Power L8 730W CM

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- Samsung SyncMaster S27B350 via HDMI

Applications and Games

- List is above in the issues section all games are usually up to date via steam (option: high priority keep up to date)

CPU Details
- AMD Phenom II X4 955 Deneb
- OC is from 3.2 to 3.6 Ghz via multiplier 16 to 18 [resetting to factory setting had no positive effect on these issues]

Motherboard BIOS Version
- FC

System Memory Type & Amount
- 4 times 4 GB Kingston 1666 MHz

Additional Hardware
- Samsung SSD, Crucial SSD, 1GB Western Digital Drive, Saitek X52 Pro

Additional Details
- No viruses detected
- Just did Memtest - no failures

I hope this is all information necesarry

Sincerely Pax

07/05/2014 08:54 PM

Author Icon
seemax1991
Peon

BTW: None of these Issues took Place with my Old GC! I used to have a 7870 Black Boost Thahiti LE Edition, one monster of a card! I would even say the best card model ever released for such small money. Sadly one of the fans broke about 3 months ago

07/06/2014 02:14 AM

Author Icon
CruxXial
Peon

Maybe your psu is insufficient, not sure if 30A is enough on the 12v rail... 

07/06/2014 04:30 AM

Author Icon
seemax1991
Peon

I know that the R9 290 requires 48 Amps on the rail. So what I did is using both rails 12V1 and 12V2 with each 30 Amps and connect one 6+2 of 12V1 and one 6 of 12V2. Shouldn't that be enough?

07/06/2014 09:44 AM

Author Icon
HoneyBadger84
Button Masher

I don't particularly trust that brand of PSU, especially with it's whole split rail stuff.  The issues you're describing do sound like a power issue as well.

Best way to find out: Download a benchmark and test your system.  I recommend 3DMark FireStrike.  The combined test in particular, if your system has inadequate power supply, will cause your system to A: turn off or B: do the issue you've been describing.  Either way that'd point clearly to inadequate power.

-------------------------

CPU: i7 3930k @ 4.6GHz 1.29V (Corsair H110-cooled) ~ Motherboard: Asus RoG Rampage IV Extreme 
RAM: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series (4x4GB 2133MHz, CL9) ~ PSU: Corsair AX 1200W ~ Case: Enermax Fulmo GT
GPUs: 3x HIS R9 290X Reference (Core) Editions in TriFire, Max Load Temps: 71C/70C/71C during OC testing :-P

07/06/2014 09:59 AM

Author Icon
seemax1991
Peon

Not gonna happen.
3D Mark already destoried dozens of Regs with their tests turning machines into non bottable trash. I suggest you to never suggest that to anyone again.

About the splkitted Powersupply rails. This might be an option as my buddy got the PC R9 290x PCS+ with an one rail power connector of 54Amps and he got no issues.

07/06/2014 12:19 PM

Author Icon
HoneyBadger84
Button Masher

Hate to break it to you dude but if a PC can't run a simple benchmark, that PC IS trash to begin with.  Benchmarks are meant to be a way of showing a computer off & proving it's stable. They don't break systems.  People who build systems improperly do.

I've been building and testing home custom built PCs since before I graduated High School, which was over a decade ago now.  What exact experience do you have? I can guarantee you EVERY person here that's experienced in testing & building PCs will agree with me on my statement of 3DMark Benchmarks being a great way to stress test a PC & rule hardware issues out.

Might wanna do some research next time before you tell someone to "never suggest that again" when you are actually the one that has no idea what they're talking about.

CPU: i7 3930k @ 4.6GHz 1.29V (Corsair H110-cooled) ~ Motherboard: Asus RoG Rampage IV Extreme 
RAM: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series (4x4GB 2133MHz, CL9) ~ PSU: Corsair AX 1200W ~ Case: Enermax Fulmo GT
GPUs: 3x HIS R9 290X Reference (Core) Editions in TriFire, Max Load Temps: 71C/70C/71C during OC testing :-P

07/06/2014 12:34 PM

Author Icon
Earnhardt
Case Modder

Originally posted by: HoneyBadger84 Hate to break it to you dude but if a PC can't run a simple benchmark, that PC IS trash to begin with.  Benchmarks are meant to be a way of showing a computer off & proving it's stable. They don't break systems.  People who build systems improperly do.

I've been building and testing home custom built PCs since before I graduated High School, which was over a decade ago now.  What exact experience do you have? I can guarantee you EVERY person here that's experienced in testing & building PCs will agree with me on my statement of 3DMark Benchmarks being a great way to stress test a PC & rule hardware issues out.

Might wanna do some research next time before you tell someone to "never suggest that again" when you are actually the one that has no idea what they're talking about.

Agreed.I run All the usual benchmarks to test for stability(3DMark,Heaven and Valley etc...even AVP.

AMD Phenom II 1100t @4.0Ghz /Asus sabertooth 990fx/2x Gigabyte 3G 7950's in crossfire/500G samsung 840 ssd/16G G-Skill Ripjaw 1600/2-samsung 24" monitors 1920X1200/Corsair AX1200W psu/W7 pro 64,G19 keyboard,Roccat kone pure mouse,Cooler master HAF932,Corsair H100i water cooler,Zalman ram cooler.Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series,Logitech Z5500 speakers,Roccat Kave 5.1 headset.

07/06/2014 12:49 PM

Author Icon
HoneyBadger84
Button Masher

Originally posted by: Earnhardt
Originally posted by: 

Agreed.I run All the usual benchmarks to test for stability(3DMark,Heaven and Valley etc...even AVP.

I wish that OCCT still worked for me, but ever since I went from my 2600k system to the 3930k, I can't get OCCT's PSU test to actually load up all the components in my system... I loved using that as a whole-system stress test.

Nowadays I use Intel Burn Test (which some people swear against and others say it's the only way to know for sure) to test CPU stability, as I've never had a CPU clock/voltage setting pass IBT on High then fail at something else (I used to be big in to Folding@Home so I wanted to make sure the clocks I was running were very-very stable when under constant load), and I use a suite for testing new graphics cards to ensure they don't have issues... typically I run 3DMark 11 on Performance & Extreme, 3DMark FireStrike on Normal & Extreme, then a run through of Heaven & Valley, now that I have those, in addition to a few loops through Metro 2033 & Metro Last Light's benchmarks, just to get that extra "real game" testing in, and of course to see what kinda FPS they get. ^_^

07/06/2014 12:50 PM

Author Icon
HoneyBadger84
Button Masher

Originally posted by: Earnhardt Originally posted by: 

I wish that OCCT still worked for me, but ever since I went from my 2600k system to the 3930k, I can't get OCCT's PSU test to actually load up all the components in my system... I loved using that as a whole-system stress test.

Nowadays I use Intel Burn Test (which some people swear against and others say it's the only way to know for sure) to test CPU stability, as I've never had a CPU clock/voltage setting pass IBT on High then fail at something else (I used to be big in to Folding@Home so I wanted to make sure the clocks I was running were very-very stable when under constant load), and I use a suite for testing new graphics cards to ensure they don't have issues... typically I run 3DMark 11 on Performance & Extreme, 3DMark FireStrike on Normal & Extreme, then a run through of Heaven & Valley, now that I have those, in addition to a few loops through Metro 2033 & Metro Last Light's benchmarks, just to get that extra "real game" testing in, and of course to see what kinda FPS they get. ^_^

Edited: 07/06/2014 at 07:18 PM by HoneyBadger84
 07/06/2014 01:03 PM

Author Icon
seemax1991
Peon

My experience is quite simple to explain: I do it for a living.

Software can destroy hardware. Experienced it multiple times myself.

Senseless discussion as I can not approve of your experiences AFK.

Back2Topic:

I kinda got the card running better with clocks lowered to AMD store clocks

07/06/2014 01:37 PM

Author Icon
seemax1991
Peon

Damn. Just had it once again.

I think I will RMA the card.

07/06/2014 07:20 PM

Author Icon
HoneyBadger84
Button Masher

Originally posted by: seemax1991 My experience is quite simple to explain: I do it for a living.

Software can destroy hardware. Experienced it multiple times myself.

Software of the kind we're talking about does not destroy hardware unless it's A: poorly constructed, B: insufficiently powered or C: overclocked too high & insufficiently cooled.

But hey, I've only been doing this for 13 years. What do I know.  If you do this for a living and you seriously think running a simple 3DMark test will destroy your hardware, I truly & seriously feel sorry for anyone who you give computer advice or service... because that's simply not true.  I'd love to link some 3DMark peeps to this thread so they can have a discussion with you about it.  I'll see if the one at OCN I've seen before has an account here.

07/07/2014 12:57 AM

Author Icon
bhavv
Peon

I suppose you get a career change because you're pretty bad at this. If you repair computers then you shouldn't even need to ask for help on this issue.And no, benchmarks cannot destroy computers. I've been building and benchmarking for close to 15 years and software, nor even furmark, has caused and damage to my hardware.Its most likely that your power supply is insufficient, or the card was faulty to begin with. Benchmarks are in fact the best method of diagnosing hardware that is already faulty to begin with.
 07/07/2014 02:02 AM

Author Icon
HoneyBadger84
Button Masher

Originally posted by: bhavv I suppose you get a career change because you're pretty bad at this. If you repair computers then you shouldn't even need to ask for help on this issue.And no, benchmarks cannot destroy computers. I've been building and benchmarking for close to 15 years and software, nor even furmark, has caused and damage to my hardware.Its most likely that your power supply is insufficient, or the card was faulty to begin with. Benchmarks are in fact the best method of diagnosing hardware that is already faulty to begin with.

^^^^ I know about 15 people I trust the opinions of between a few different forums that would say the exact same thing and have as much experience as we do lol

07/07/2014 05:48 AM

Author Icon
HoneyBadger84
Button Masher

Fyi I have been informed by some of the folks at OCN that your GPU is one known by its manufacturer to have issues relating to its BIOS being faulty. Recommend you contact PowerColor support directly for instructions on how to fix the issue.  I also syill recommend you get a better quality PSU as well.

07/07/2014 07:45 AM

Author Icon
seemax1991
Peon

BIOS being faulty

But I will RMA the card anyways. Just to be sure. If the BIOS is still faulty afterwards I still can contact Powercolor for specific help with the BIOS.

Thanks for the help so far guys. I appriciate it.

Statistics
85751 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.