Topic Title: System not booting with new R9 280X, PLEASE HELP!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/06/2014 03:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/06/2014 03:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
daniel2caleb3
Peon

Graphics Card
- R9 280X 3GB.  It's at my work right now so can't check exact details until tomorrow morning. 

- Brand new out the box, so no overclocking even possible without boot.

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- Installed latest AMD driver version last week (14.4 I think?).  Previous card is an HD 6980 and was working perfectly before trying new card.  Uninstalled all AMD drivers as of now as instructed by AMD tech help.

Operating System
- 64-bit Windows 7.  Don't have another OS to test card on.

Issue Details
- Uninstalled all previous drivers as instructed.  Powered down machine.  Secured new R9 280X into motherboard, fitted the correct power cables.  Start up machine.  BIOS screen flashes as per usual (can enter BIOS as well).  BUT, then the screen goes black (not blank), with only a       0_      at the bottom right side of the screen.  The wierd thing is, I can still hear windows booting up in the background while the screen holds on this error/whatever it is.  I can't get past this.  So I can't install the drivers etc.  AAHHHH!!!! (I've been at this problem for a week now, hence the pained AAAAHHH!!!!)

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- Intel DP67BG

Power Supply

- Gigabyte 550W

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- A standard LG 24inch connected by a HDMI cable.  Not sure of other specifics?

Applications and Games

- l wish I could run applications or games   Can't get past boot!

CPU Details
- Intel i7 2600K 3.4 GHz  (and never overclocked a GPU or CPU in my life).

Motherboard BIOS Version
- I was advised by AMD tech support to update my BIOS to latest revised version.  After visiting the Intel website, it seemed that my BIOS was last revised in 2012, which is the version I downloaded and updated to (using the Windows executable method).  The specific details I'll have to look up on my PC at work tomorrow.  But yeah, even after the BIOS update, didn't help.

System Memory Type & Amount
- 16GB.. (DDR3 I think?)

Additional Hardware
- 3 HDD: 120Gbyte, 1TB, 3TB.  No other hardware other than my external sound card.

Additional Details
- I have contacted both Intel and AMD support, but after 7 days of constant testing I'm at a new low point.  I spent the last of my savings buying a R9 280X because I love the AMD range and was so keen for an upgrade.

After a lot of searching, it seems like it something to do with the R9 280X's compatability with a few motherboards?  I know there are others that have had the same problem but can't seem to find anyone that has any answers.

My wife would kill me if I had to buy a new motherboard.  I just can't see why thiscard can work on older motherboards and not on mine

If there's anyone out there with a potential solution, I would be forever indebted.  There's hardly anything more sad than keeping a new GPU in a box on the shelf while currently playing games at 25 FPS.

Kind regards,

Daniel Caleb

07/06/2014 03:22 PM

Author Icon
daniel2caleb3
Peon

just checked, it's a:

Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X 3072Mb GDDR5

07/06/2014 07:17 PM

Author Icon
HoneyBadger84
Button Masher

I'm sure with a week to fiddle with it, you've tried this, but:

Take the card out completely, unplug it from everything. If you still have your old card, try plugging it back in, booting up and making sure everything is good (don't install drivers, just boot up etc).  If that works, take that card back out & then reinstall the other card.  Make sure you get a good clean side in to the slot in one motion so it's a solid connection.  Misseating the video card can lead to a host of issues you don't wanna deal with.  Then make sure both power cords are securely connected, and try to boot up again.

It could be the card & your motherboard don't get along, or it's possible you may just have gotten a bad card & need to RMA it.  If it turns out it is a compatibility issue, maybe you can talk to the place you bought it from and see if perhaps an exchange for a different card is possible?  Like a 280 or maybe a different brand wouldn't have the problem?  I'm not familiar with th exact compatibility issue we're talkin' about so I can't say for sure.

-------------------------

CPU: i7 3930k @ 4.6GHz 1.29V (Corsair H110-cooled) ~ Motherboard: Asus RoG Rampage IV Extreme 
RAM: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series (4x4GB 2133MHz, CL9) ~ PSU: Corsair AX 1200W ~ Case: Enermax Fulmo GT
GPUs: 3x HIS R9 290X Reference (Core) Editions in TriFire, Max Load Temps: 71C/70C/71C during OC testing :-P

07/07/2014 03:51 PM

Author Icon
waza72
Peon

I'm very ignorant regarding this. But I had a similar issue. It was the 24-pin connector not being seated correctly. Press it really hard (not that hard that you'll break the motherboard) and try once more.

If this doesn't work, this would be what I'd do: start computer without any GPU at all (use the integrated GPU) and make sure that you install all the drivers for your card. Then (with the PC being on) seat the GPU into the PCI-E slot (BUT BE CAREFUL! PC IS STILL ON!) then update the vbios from the manufacturer's website. Then restart and see if there's any difference.

Though it does seem like it's a motherboard issue.

Good luck!!

-------------------------

Yours sincerely,

Mikael S.

07/08/2014 02:28 PM

Author Icon
Boing7898
Peon

Try 13.12, I have the same problem with anything past 13.12 drivers.

Statistics
85510 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.