Topic Title: 4250 IGP + R9 270 not working
Topic Summary: 4250 + 6770 works but 4250 + R9 doesn't
Created On: 07/08/2014 07:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/08/2014 07:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
djwestly
Peon

I was using an HIS 6770 + MSI motherboard's 4250 IGP on XP SP3.  This worked well for (dx 8/9) gaming using SoftTH + 3 monitors.

I replaced the 6770 with a Gigabyte R9 270 as an upgrade but the R9 and 4250 don't seem to work together.  On a clean os install, both cards show up as VGA devices.

The first GPU driver installs normally.  Installing the second driver succeeds, but causes the first driver to stop working.  I can re-install the first driver, but then the second driver stops working.  Doesn't matter if I install the 4250 first or the R9 first.  In both scenarios, the driver installed last works and stops the other driver from working.

This happens with the original drivers shipped with the products AND with the latest drivers from the AMD website.  Has anyone experienced this and found a solution?  Is it just not possible to use a 4000 series gpu and an R9 series gpu together?

Thanks,

Dave

07/08/2014 07:21 PM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

The driver versions that both prefer to rely on are probably too far apart. Any reason you have to use both? Cause you can plug all 3 monitors into the R9 270 and enable them at the same time (if using the right adapters).

-------------------------
Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 07/08/2014 08:53 PM

Author Icon
djwestly
Peon

I'm sure I could use just the R9, but I was hoping I could just swap out the 6770 for the R9.

First I was using the 4250 by itself.  Then I upgraded to the 6770 (and stopped using the 4250).  Then I learned of SoftTH which is easy to use/configure and allows me to span games across multiple monitors at very high resolutions using multiple gpus (so I started using the 4250 + 6770). 

I bought the R9 270 as an upgrade to the HIS 6770.

I wanted to change my setup as little as possible while getting better performance (I'm a casual gamer and don't really like spending time messing with my computer hardware).

I'm not familiar with using a single gpu to drive multiple screens for gaming (I think AMD calls it 'eye affinity' or something similar).  I'm lazy and didn't want to have to research this (and SoftTH was already working for me).  I'm also cheap and not a heavy gamer so I wanted to minimize what I had to buy for the upgrade.  I was hoping the card by itself was enough.

I don't think SoftTH works with a single GPU and I don't know how the performance of the R9 driving 3 monitors using eye affinity (or whatever it's called) compares to SoftTH+4250+R9 driving 3 monitors (assuming I could get it to work).

I thought SoftTH+4250+6770 was awsome (and the setup was cheap since I already had the hardware).

Now (assuming I have to use the R9 alone) I need to buy new cables and possibly a new monitor if I want to use three displays:

2 of my monitors (called A & B) have VGA connections only while my 3rd(C) has VGA + dvi-d.

So I can connect 'A' to the card's DVI-I, 'C' to the card's DVI-D, and either buy a new monitor (to connect to the card's DP output) or buy a DP to analog adaptor (which I understand is not cheap) so I can use my 'B' monitor.

I should have researched the card more before I bought it.  I think if I had bought an nvidia card I wouldn't have the driver issue so I could use the 4250 with the nvida card and might have only had to buy an inexpensive cable or two.

Sorry for the long message and thanks for replying to my original message,

Dave

Statistics
84330 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.