Topic Title: Spiking temperature when playing Rift
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/17/2014 07:17 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/17/2014 07:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Nixxxss
Peon

I hope someone can help me with this, because i already contacted rift support and they cant help me.

So a couple of months ago, i was playing rift, everything was fine, the temps were cool, around 50's. So then i take a break and start playing wildstar and even in this game all was fine, then i downloaded the new beta drivers 14,7 which had optimization for wildstar. So a couple of days ago, i login to rift to check things out, and while i was running around it was ok, but then i joined a instanced dungeon and  i started hearing my fans going nutz so i checked the temps and they were around 65 O.o

So i know these temps are still ok and far from overheating, but i am concerned WHY all of a sudden such a temp spike when a couple of months ago, i never even reached 52°C no matter how long i played and what i was doing.

I have a Radeon HD 7850, drivers 14,7 beta, windows 7 64 bit.

Hope someone can give me an awers whats going on.

Thanks

07/17/2014 09:03 AM

Author Icon
Earnhardt
Case Modder

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=440&threadid=160417&enterthread=y

-------------------------

AMD Phenom II 1100t @4.0Ghz /Asus sabertooth 990fx/2x Gigabyte 3G 7950's in crossfire/500G samsung 840 ssd/16G G-Skill Ripjaw 1600/2-samsung 24" monitors 1920X1200/Corsair AX1200W psu/W7 pro 64,G19 keyboard,Roccat kone pure mouse,Cooler master HAF932,Corsair H100i water cooler,Zalman ram cooler.Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series,Logitech Z5500 speakers,Roccat Kave 5.1 headset.

07/17/2014 09:21 AM

Author Icon
Nixxxss
Peon

Graphics: Radeon PCI-E 3.0 HD 7850, 2048MB

CPU AMD A8 x4 3870K 

Mainboard Asus F1A75-M Pro R2.0

Windows 7 64bit

Corsair Vengance dd3 ram kit 8gb 1600 MHz

PSU: 600W, LCH600H-12 V2.31

Previous drivers 13.2

I already described the issue in first post, but  i am using vsync, i checked the  FPS and it was around 40ish.

But like i said, happens only in instanced dungeon, and same thing happened just now in wildstar, although i have not made any changes and i have been in the same instance yesterday and everything was fine. Only thing i did was download 1 addon for the game.

07/17/2014 01:18 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

Well, the most immediate thing that comes to mind is to ask what was different a couple months ago?  As in, what season was it?

Dust accumulation is something to consider as well.

And quite beyond that, I expect the game itself has been updated since then, and it's certainly possible they made a change which makes it more demanding on the GPU.

Or maybe you've overclocked your CPU since then, which gives the GPU more work to do.

And yes, it's possible that a driver update reduced some kind of overhead that kept the GPU from working as hard.

What you haven't specified is whether or not you're using vsync, and if not, what the frame rates were a couple months ago versus today.

07/17/2014 04:02 PM

Author Icon
Nixxxss
Peon

Originally posted by: Thanny Well, the most immediate thing that comes to mind is to ask what was different a couple months ago?  As in, what season was it?

Dust accumulation is something to consider as well.

And quite beyond that, I expect the game itself has been updated since then, and it's certainly possible they made a change which makes it more demanding on the GPU.

Or maybe you've overclocked your CPU since then, which gives the GPU more work to do.

And yes, it's possible that a driver update reduced some kind of overhead that kept the GPU from working as hard.

What you haven't specified is whether or not you're using vsync, and if not, what the frame rates were a couple months ago versus today.

Ty for the answer. Well im also thinking what changed, because they did some performance updates but like i said i already contacted rift support and they have no idea how to help me, and i asked on their forums and another person also said he came back after a couple of months and got a 20°C temp spike.

With wildstar, i think i have resolved the issue, today i installed 2 addons, one of them was a nameplate addon, and that was probably the reason why i had such a temp spike. I uninstalled them and ran the same instance 3times just to be sure, but temps were normal.

Other than drivers, i havent changed anything, i keep my case clean - very.

I am using vsync, and in dungeons i usually have around 30-40fps, but in open world i get 50-60 and temps are fine there.

Would it be possible that maybe any of the addons i have in rift could be causing my temps to go up?

I havent really tried completely disabling all rift addons to check since im not at home.

Off topic question: My gpu is amd radeon hd 7850, i have been looking on the internet at what temps people are running and they all claim that their gpu runs at 80° and anything under 90 is safe. Is that true?

80 kinda seems very hot too me. 

07/20/2014 11:38 AM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

80C is absolutely safe for that GPU.

07/20/2014 04:31 PM

Author Icon
Nixxxss
Peon

Originally posted by: Thanny 80C is absolutely safe for that GPU.

wow that much? Well im getting nowhere nwar that, but i think my gpu is underutilized anyway.

So i can safely play on 80 and dont have to worry it wil shorten the life of my gpu?

07/20/2014 05:08 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Start worrying if it goes past 90°C. Real damage doesn't start occurring until after the 100°C mark, but that card does not have the power to get to those temperatures, unless it lacks proper airflow (due to case design or dust buildup), or the TIM is dried up and needs replacing (and that card is to new for that). Also, what are your fan speeds? Manufacturers usually keep the fan speeds around the 30% mark until the temperatures approach 90°C due to acoustics.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 07/21/2014 02:36 AM

Author Icon
Nixxxss
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion Start worrying if it goes past 90°C. Real damage doesn't start occurring until after the 100°C mark, but that card does not have the power to get to those temperatures, unless it lacks proper airflow (due to case design or dust buildup), or the TIM is dried up and needs replacing (and that card is to new for that). Also, what are your fan speeds? Manufacturers usually keep the fan speeds around the 30% mark until the temperatures approach 90°C due to acoustics.

Well i doubt my card was built to redcuse noise, since at 60C and almost 2500rpm its already so loud.

Dont know exactly what % are the fans running, but idle is around 1690, and when working its around 2000+ (50C)

07/22/2014 01:04 AM

Author Icon
StepLadderInc
Peon

We've found a number of links with similar problems relating to the 14.4 drivers, and our company has performed significant research upon this issue.

We would suggest checking more on the following link:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=440&threadid=175979

...and continuing the discussion there.  It is also our qualified belief that the problem you are having is related specifically to your having recently updated to the 14.4 drivers that were not as of yet fully developed unbeknownst to AMD because of continued division and variation between AMD CPU/APU motherboard and Intel CPU motherboard platforms.

It's also important that everyone's issues become resolved and receive proactive support and attention from AMD's driver development team in addition to all of us here on the forum sharing our knowledge and experiences with AMD in order to assist one of our favorite video hardware manufacturers in arriving at a version of the drivers that may be used on the various platforms without inadvertently causing malfunctions of the various systems of those having similar problems to yourself after installing the 14.4 drivers.

In short, it is more likely these matters will receive appropriate attention if they're all in one forum thread.  Please start here at our link here on AMD Forums...

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=440&threadid=175979

(Same one as listed above for consistency)

Best Regards,

StepLadder Inc - IT / IS , System Architecture , and Information Security Department

Edited: 07/22/2014 at 01:25 AM by StepLadderInc
 07/22/2014 10:07 AM

Author Icon
Nixxxss
Peon

Ty for the reply, but turning my fan speed is not a fix for my issue though.

Statistics
86386 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.