Topic Title: Radeon R9 290X freezing PC
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/21/2014 06:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/21/2014 06:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ashpolt
Peon

Hi all,

Back in March I upgraded my graphics card to an MSI Radeon R9 290X 4Gb, and since then my PC has been completely locking up intermittently. I can't detect any logic behind when it locks up: sometimes it'll do it while I'm playing a game, sometimes while I'm watching video, sometimes while I'm just browsing the net. Other times I can do any of the above for hours on end with no issues. 

I completely cleaned out old drivers when I upgraded, and am currently running the 14.4 drivers, Catalyst Control Center 2014.0417.2226.38446. I'm not overclocking at all. OS is Windows 7 64 bit.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Did you manage to fix it? If so, how? 

07/21/2014 07:23 PM

Author Icon
Ashpolt
Peon

Update: My PC has now frozen up 3 times in one night (once while browsing the net / watching Netflix, twice while playing XCOM). It's never frozen this often before: it's like it knows that I posted here...

...but seriously this is getting massively frustrating, and any help would be appreciated!

07/22/2014 08:29 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

http://forums.amd.com/game/mes...d=160417&enterthread=y

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 07/22/2014 01:08 PM

Author Icon
Ashpolt
Peon

Most of that info was included in my original post, but OK....

Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X 4Gb

Catalyst Driver Version / History: 14.4, from clean

Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit, with all the latest updates installed

Issue details: As above, system completely locks up at seemingly random times, requiring a hard reset. Sometimes it'll be while playing a game, sometimes while watching video, sometimes just browsing the net. Sometimes it'll nto happen for a week, sometimes it'll happen multiple times in one day.

Motherboard: GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58

Power Supply: Be Quiet 900watt Dark Power Pro BN125, P8 Silver 91% Eff. 4x PCIe, 4x 12V

Display Devices / Connections: Dell UltraSharp U2711, through DVI

Applications and games: Various, as above. Not linked to specific applications.

CPU details: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366, no overclocking

Motherboard BIOS: No idea, but it's the same as it was before I changed to this graphics card, back when this issue didn't occur, so I'm going to go ahead and guess it's not this.

System memory: 6GB (3x2GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz

Additional Hardware: Primary HDD: 64 GB Crucial C300 Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk 
Secondary HDD: 
1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MBCache 7200RPM Hard Drive
Case fans: 4
Optical drives: 24 speed DVD rewriter

Additional details: Virus scan (AVG) and spyware scan (spybot) clean.

-----------

Hopefully that's enough info. Anyone able to provide any help? 

07/24/2014 04:22 AM

Author Icon
SomeRandomUser
Peon

When the machine locks up, how does it lock up?  Black screen?  Or does the image on screen freeze?

If it's a black screen crash, I'm facing the same issue, and it seems to be somewhat common.  In my case, I'm able to fix it by slightly underclocking the video card memory from the stock 1250 MHz down to about 1050 or so.  After that, my 290 cards have become completely stable.

07/24/2014 03:12 PM

Author Icon
Ashpolt
Peon

It's usually black screen, but I'm pretty certain it's frozen the image a couple of times.

Would rather not underclock, as obviously I didn't buy an expensive graphics card to under-power it, but if that solves the problem it's better than not. How do you underclock? Do you just do it through the performance menu in the Catalyst Control Center, or do you use some other tool?

07/24/2014 03:36 PM

Author Icon
SomeRandomUser
Peon

In this case, the Catalyst Control Center is all you need.  In the Performance tab, select the OverDrive sub-tab.  Check the box that says "Enable Graphics OverDrive".  Then just drag the memory clock slider from its default (which is usually 1250 on standard cards) down to something like 1050.  Click Apply.  That's it!

On both of my problematic 290 cards, this solved the issue completely.  You might be able to safely go higher than 1050, but play it safe for now just for sake of troubleshooting.  Honestly, you might not even notice the performance difference.

Unfortunately, this problem is pretty widespread, and you'll see pages and pages of people with problem on the various tech forums.  My original reference model 290 card had this issue, so I exchanged it via RMA with Sapphire, and the replacement they sent me also had the problem.  I've read about people who had to RMA their cards 3 or 4 times before they got one that didn't black screen.

07/24/2014 03:44 PM

Author Icon
SomeRandomUser
Peon

I also just looked at the specs for your power supply.  It looks like it has 4 12v rails, two of which (12v3 and 12v4) are more powerful than the other two (12v1 and 12v2).  If possible, make sure you are using 12v3 and 12v4 to power the card.  Maybe even split the two, using 12v3 for one of the power connectors on the card, and 12v4 for the other power connector?

I know this is a stretch, as I'm fairly certain what you're seeing is the common black screen crash problem with the memory, but it never hurts to try.

07/27/2014 09:20 PM

Author Icon
Ashpolt
Peon

I've tried underclocking to 1050, and sadly it hasn't solved the issue - thanks for the suggestion though. Any other ideas?

If I have to RMA, how long does that process usually last? (Also I'm based in the UK, so it'll undoubtedly take longer than for those in the US!) RMA'ing is clearly a last resort, as it'll mean my PC is essentially out of action for however long it takes them to send me a working graphics card, but it's beginning to look like it might be the only option.

07/27/2014 10:55 PM

Author Icon
SomeRandomUser
Peon

Originally posted by: Ashpolt I've tried underclocking to 1050, and sadly it hasn't solved the issue - thanks for the suggestion though. Any other ideas?

If I have to RMA, how long does that process usually last? (Also I'm based in the UK, so it'll undoubtedly take longer than for those in the US!) RMA'ing is clearly a last resort, as it'll mean my PC is essentially out of action for however long it takes them to send me a working graphics card, but it's beginning to look like it might be the only option.

Darn, I'm sorry the memory underclocking didn't help.  It was the problem with *both* of my 290 cards that were experiencing the same effects as yours, so I was hoping it might be your card's problem, as well.

I was lucky with my RMA, since I live in California not far from the US distribution center for Sapphire, and they handle the US RMA cases as well.  In the US, their RMA service says they'll have you a new card within 7-10 days, I believe.  That being the case, once I returned the card I had a replacement within a week.  I'm not sure what the UK guarantees are.  I would guess if you did return it, you'd be returning it to a UK distributor instead. (?)  For what it's worth, my experience with Sapphire's customer service was very positive.

Statistics
85333 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.