Topic Title: Windows 8.1 startup black screen with Radeon HD 6670 GFX
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/22/2014 05:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/22/2014 05:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
GeorgieP
Peon

I recently changed my GFX card to a Radeon HD 6670 (about a week ago), and yesterday when I booted my PC, instead of the standard Windows 8.1 log in screen, I got a black screen, with the occassional flicker of my mouse.

I managed to boot in safe mode, and disabled the GFX card. I downloaded the latest catalyst controller software, and everything was up to date already. I rebooted my PC in normal mode, and when the catalyst programme was installed, my GFX got reactivated, and everything seemed fine.

I turned my PC off last night and when I booted it again this morning, the same black screen appeared. It means I cannot even log on to Windows, I can only boot in safe mode (which is near impossible to achieve).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on here?

07/22/2014 08:37 AM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

if you previously had an NVIDIA card, you will need to install windows fresh to clean up the mess

you can use the 8.1 refresh feature which saves documents etc

-------------------------

07/22/2014 12:32 PM

Author Icon
GeorgieP
Peon

Is there a way for me to get rid of the previous NVIDIA stuff on my PC rather than refreshing? I downloaded the Windows 8 startup file from Microsoft as I cannot find the install disc anywhere, and put it onto USB, confirmed it with my product key, but when I go to refresh, it says some files are missing.

Statistics
85773 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.