Topic Title: ATI Radeon HD 5670 no image
Topic Summary: replacement for ATI Radeon HD 5670
Created On: 08/14/2014 07:01 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/14/2014 07:01 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
newuser_noscreen
Peon

Hello everyone,

I’m new to this forum, I hope I post this question in the right category. I have a problem with my computer. I think the graphics card is broken. My desktop is only 4 years old, so I want to replace the graphics card with a model of at least similar capacity (or better) that will fit in the motherboard. I’m really not an expert, so I hope someone will be able to give me some advice.

Graphics Card
- ATI Radeon HD 5670 Direct x 11 graphics card with 512 MB GDDR5 memory
- it was never over-clocked

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- it must be one of the latest. I updated a few months ago. My desktop won’t start properly so I can’t verify the driver version

Operating System
- 32-bit, windows 7 latest service pack

Issue Details
- My desktop worked fine until yesterday. After a few minutes of non-intensive use the screen became orange. I had to reset the computer. Afterwards, I immediately got no image (a black screen). The computer won’t start, even after multiple tries. Sometimes I get vertical black and white stripes when I try to start the desktop. I think my graphic card died. I checked the fan, it still works. When I start the computer I hear no special beeps or other noises form the computer. I hear the hard drive spinning (as normally), but I get no image.

I tried the vga, dvi and hdmi output. I also tried de hdmi output on another screen. I know that the problem is not in the screens, because they work fine when connected to another computer.

I think replacing the graphics card might help. Any advice is welcome. I couldn’t find out what type of motherboard my desktop has, so I would like advice on cards similar to my graphics card that will fit in the motherboard.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- desktop: medion AKOYA P6310 d MD 8342

Power Supply
- output 350W

CPU Details
- Quad-core Power-AMD Athlon II x4 620 quad-core processor

- No overclocking.

System Memory Type & Amount
- Hard drive: 1 TB S-ATA

- RAM: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM

Additional Details
- the screens work when connected to another computer.

-        -  No image when using vga, dvi or hdmi

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

08/14/2014 08:48 AM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

first, use the 64-bit version of Windows

next, backup your files and install that

if the video card comes up with the DVD installer, they you know your setup is borked

you should also consider a better power supply for longer service life

mine is so extreme i expect it will be suitable for years to come

-------------------------

08/14/2014 09:08 AM

Author Icon
newuser_noscreen
Peon

Thank you very much for your fast response.

When I start my computer the screen stays black, so I can’t tell if it’s booting. If I start with the recovery CD (that was included when I bought the computer) the screen still stays black. Can this be caused by the graphics card or do I have another problem?
Can the power supply cause this problem? I hear the hard drive spinning, the lights go on and the usb ports get power after I pressed the power button...

08/14/2014 10:03 AM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

If the display remains black even during boot, then something somewhere broke. You could test if it was the gpu by plugging in some other gpu (borrow from a friend?). The power supply could use an upgrade indeed, a Corsair or Seasonic model within 500-550w. Power supplies degrade over time, especially if its a 350w unit from an unknown manufacturer which could have caused this whole issue.

-------------------------
Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 08/25/2014 04:28 AM

Author Icon
newuser_noscreen
Peon

Thank you all for your advice. I borrowed the graphics card of another computer and everything worked again.

I ordered a new graphics card and power supply online. It will probably arrive in a month.

I ordered these:

-        -  Sapphire R7 260X AMD (PCI-e, 2GB, GDDR5, DVI, 1 GPU)

-        -  Arctic Cooling Fusion 550RF-EU (550 Watt, ATX2)

After I installed the new graphics card and power supply I will post an update. I hope installing the new power supply will be easy. Switching all those cables looks rather complicated.

Thank you all again for your help.

09/18/2014 05:13 AM

Author Icon
newuser_noscreen
Peon

I borrowed a GPU from a friend and it worked. I ordered the new GPU and the new power supply and installed them.

-        -  Sapphire R7 260X AMD (PCI-e, 2GB, GDDR5, DVI, 1 GPU)

-        -  Arctic Cooling Fusion 550RF-EU (550 Watt, ATX2)

Everything works fine now.

Thank you all for your advice.

Statistics
85569 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.