Topic Title: R9 280X Issues - Unplayably low framerate
Topic Summary: Driver problems rear their ugly heads
Created On: 08/14/2014 12:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/14/2014 12:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Nonsensei436
Peon

I just bought a new gaming rig and put it together yesterday.

Motherboard: MB GIGABYTE|GA-Z97MX-GAMING 5 MATX

CPU: Intel core i5 4690K

RAM: 2x4G|ADATA AX3U1600W4G9-DB R

Card: VGA XFX R9-280X-TDFD R9 280X R

When I initially installed windows 7, I also used the drivers disk that came with the motherboard to install some drivers like networking etc.

One of the things it installed was intel video drivers. When I went to install my radeon drivers for the card, there was an installation error, yet the installation completed and everything seemed OK.

I used a benchmarking program to test the card and it performed beautifully.

HOWEVER: I began, almost instantly, to have some serious problems with websites and aero. Slow scrolling an desktop animations were becoming an extreme nuisance. I looked online for some wisdom, and found someone suggesting that the intel drivers I had installed were to blame, and that I needed to clean out all the graphics drivers present on my system in safe mode and then reinstall only the radeon drivers.

I did this, and indeed the desktop animation and website issues are now gone.

Except I am now getting 20 fps in games like Skyrim. Sniper Elite 3 is about 4-6 fps, I can't even select menu options. The benchmarking software I used before now runs very poorly.

This sort of graphical juggling isn't really my forte. I really need things to work as advertised. I should be able to install graphics drivers on a fresh machine and have them work without major issues.

At this point I am willing to try anything and am open to all suggestions.

08/14/2014 01:06 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Before doing anything else...go to Intel support and use their Driver Update Utility.  Uninstalling/stopping the Intel graphics is not a good idea... Then run Windows Update...you need to have 'critical' and 'other Microsoft products' enabled...and install the relavent (meaning don't install any Intel or AMD updates) 'optional' or 'recommended' updates. THEN try a clean install of the 14.4 drivers using the guide in the FAQ...uninstalling/installing new drivers.

Do the updates first....

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

08/14/2014 01:33 PM

Author Icon
Nonsensei436
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped Before doing anything else...go to Intel support and use their Driver Update Utility.  Uninstalling/stopping the Intel graphics is not a good idea... Then run Windows Update...you need to have 'critical' and 'other Microsoft products' enabled...and install the relavent (meaning don't install any Intel or AMD updates) 'optional' or 'recommended' updates. THEN try a clean install of the 14.4 drivers using the guide in the FAQ...uninstalling/installing new drivers.

Do the updates first....

Unfortunately I cannot follow the instructions you linked. The AMD install manager is not a program that appears on my computer anywhere, so I cannot use it to remove my current drivers.

08/14/2014 02:05 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Nonsensei436
Originally posted by: stumped Before doing anything else...go to Intel support and use their Driver Update Utility.  Uninstalling/stopping the Intel graphics is not a good idea... Then run Windows Update...you need to have 'critical' and 'other Microsoft products' enabled...and install the relavent (meaning don't install any Intel or AMD updates) 'optional' or 'recommended' updates. THEN try a clean install of the 14.4 drivers using the guide in the FAQ...uninstalling/installing new drivers.

Do the updates first....

Unfortunately I cannot follow the instructions you linked. The AMD install manager is not a program that appears on my computer anywhere, so I cannot use it to remove my current drivers.

You mean you checked in remove a program and didn't see "AMD Catalyst Install Manager?! Then you are really fouled up.

LOOK

You should have been offered updates from Intel. You should have uninstalled updates from Windows Updates....until you do this....good luck.

Have a nice day.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

08/14/2014 02:53 PM

Author Icon
Nonsensei436
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped
Originally posted by: Nonsensei436

Do the updates first....

You mean you checked in remove a program and didn't see "AMD Catalyst Install Manager?! Then you are really fouled up.

LOOK

You should have been offered updates from Intel. You should have uninstalled updates from Windows Updates....until you do this....good luck.

Have a nice day.

Yeah I know what to look for it isnt there.

Since last I posted, I used the drivers themselves to activate the uninstall function. After doing that I restarted in safe mode and used DDU as recommended by the instructions.

At this pont my computer was refreshing the screen so slowly it was barely usable. Even the BIOS logo appeared slowly.

I struggled my way through an interface slower than molases to reinstall the drivers. Once again there was an error during installation, despite my antivirus being deactivated, me running the drivers as administrator, and using the actual file and not the driver detector as directed by those instructions.

Once again AMD install manager failed to appear in my list of installed programs in the control panel and once again Sniper Elite 3 is running at 2fps.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: and yes I did make sure I installed all windows updates, except for the optional language packs.

Edited: 08/14/2014 at 03:01 PM by Nonsensei436
 08/14/2014 09:24 PM

Author Icon
Nonsensei436
Peon

I just did a complete reinstall of windows 7.

This time I made sure to install all windows updates first, and make sure I had all the intel drivers in place before I did anything else.

Then I installed the Radeon drivers.

This time there was no error on installation.

However GPU benchmarking software still has me getting 4fps. The temperature in the card still rose as if it were being utilized but I wasn't getting any performance.

Do I have a faulty card? I have a hard time accepting that, since less than 24 hours ago this card was functioning as expected, giving me 150+ fps in that very same benchmarking software. Nothing hardware related has changed since then, and I just eliminated software issues as a possibility.

Now I am left with the awful task of trying to figure out what part of my machine is faulty.

08/14/2014 09:39 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Start with the basics...is your computer power plan set to Performance? In the CCC, have you set the power slider to +20?

08/14/2014 10:11 PM

Author Icon
Nonsensei436
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped Start with the basics...is your computer power plan set to Performance? In the CCC, have you set the power slider to +20?

Doing this kaiboshed my computer. The crash was vertical lines all across the screen and it repeats five seconds after every reboot. I guess that pretty much answers the question of whether or not the card is faulty.

My net research shows that this phenomenon indicates faulty vram.

Have to say im a little bit stunned. usually things either arrive broken or they work. Never had something go bad on me so quickly.

08/14/2014 10:47 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Being an XFX card I'm not surprised, I had my XFX 7970 fail within a week of purchase (thankfully I still had my 5970), and now the cooler is failing a year and a half later. Run Memtest86+ to rule out faulty RAM, and also tell us your power supply, as a +12v undervolt to <11.8v can cause issues like this also, found that out the hard way years back with a ThermalTake PSU, 12v undervolt to 11.5v...

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 08/14/2014 10:51 PM

Author Icon
Nonsensei436
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion Being an XFX card I'm not surprised, I had my XFX 7970 fail within a week of purchase (thankfully I still had my 5970), and now the cooler is failing a year and a half later. Run Memtest86+ to rule out faulty RAM, and also tell us your power supply, as a +12v undervolt to <11.8v can cause issues like this also.

The memory is fine.

My PSU is a Corsair CX600 600W

08/14/2014 11:16 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

The memory is fine.

You say this because you've already tested it with Memtest86+, or because you don't want to test it?

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 08/14/2014 11:33 PM

Author Icon
Nonsensei436
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion
The memory is fine.
You say this because you've already tested it with Memtest86+, or because you don't want to test it?

Couldnt use the program because the computer crashes a few seconds after loading windows so i ripped out the ram and put it in another machine. No problems.

08/15/2014 10:52 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Memtest86+ is boot time from a CD or USB drive...

Statistics
85482 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.