Topic Title: 290x 4 way crossfire cooling?
Topic Summary: thinking of going all the wayyy but first, cooling?
Created On: 08/23/2014 12:18 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/23/2014 12:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
adminatron
Peon

i have a air 540 case from corsair... it's decently cool - but as you know the 290x is quite hot... i have 2 cards with reference coolers and im thinking about snagging 2 more when i get some money... here is my worry... with all of them crammed next to each other will they get enough airflow to breathe without throttling each other? tbh i dont really care about the blow dryer volumes of the 290xs... i usually game with loud speakers or headphones - and tbh i actually kind of LIKE whitenoise. would i prefer it to be quieter? ofcourse! but what kind of coolers can i use that only take up a 2 slot configuration?

i originally thought about going with the g10 + h90 or something but i doubt there would be a way to fit all 4 cards next to each other like that...

and anyone here have any experience with using pci-e extenders? i could just get like one of those bit miner cases or make my own(which i considered anyways) but im curious about product life/bandwidth problems... i guess i could in theory buy 1 and try it out just to see if there is a performance decrease... but ive heard it can burn your mobo out or something... and thats not a risk im willing to take!

ive considered going to to a 295x2 instead, but it would cost SO MUCH MONIES. seems like it would be cheaper to find some second hand reference cards for 250-300$ and then water cool before i did that...

all in all - are any of the air coolers able to keep a 2 slot space while still getting good airflow next to another card? in this respect i feel like the reference might be better >.< but idk - hit me up guys!

i have a tight budget, but i also dont want to burn my rig up... i worry about my motherboard with something getting to 90+ degrees celcius...

gotta p9x79 ws with 4930k and 64gigs of 1866(cas latency 9) so the last thing i want to do is burn up the greater half of the investment

08/23/2014 12:37 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Is there a specific reason you want 4 290Xs other than being able to say you have 4 290Xs? Without that processor at 4.5ghz or greater, and a 1500-2000w power supply, and much, much more airflow than you have now, your performance is going to be throttled very badly.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 08/23/2014 12:50 AM

Author Icon
adminatron
Peon

to play anything i want to V synced at 4k?

got an evga 1600w psu.

08/23/2014 12:52 AM

Author Icon
adminatron
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion Is there a specific reason you want 4 290Xs other than being able to say you have 4 290Xs?

and while im not sure how the rest of this community is, anyone who asks this should be asked to enter a captcha everytime they post.

OP asks how something can be done
responder asks why you would want it to be done

see the problem here? I'm willing to be the next question is "why do you need 64 gb of ram"

08/23/2014 01:18 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

There are several dicussions on the subject in the Benchmarking and the Crossfire forums. Look around..

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

08/23/2014 02:13 AM

Author Icon
adminatron
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped There are several dicussions on the subject in the Benchmarking and the Crossfire forums. Look around..

im not having much luck looking through the crossfire section.. if there are lots of discussions they are hiding well

edit, didnt get much of anything even on benchmark forums... i skimmed the forums but atleast searching 290x seems to be hard pressed to give me answers to my problem. not much to my suprise, considering I've already searched a great deal(hence why i took the take to make an account here to ask the question)

Edited: 08/23/2014 at 02:19 AM by adminatron
 08/23/2014 03:52 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

It had many discussions here but they are spread out, The discussion started I believe with the first post and spread from there to a flame war about liquid cooling. I used the search feature of the forum and picked these two. In any event, either one of those forums would have been a better place to post your question.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=490&threadid=175438

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=440&threadid=175522&highlight_key=y

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

08/23/2014 08:48 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

There's no good reason to get four 290X cards.  You can get good scaling up to three GPU's, but very little beyond that.

The short answer is tha you will not find any air cooler that can adequately cool three GPU's side by side with no empty space between them.

A custom water cooling loop would produce the best results, but you'd have to spend about as much on that as the cards themselves to do it properly.

Closed-loop coolers would be a viable option, if you have enough places to mount the radiators.

As for PCIe expanders, I have no experience with them, but I expect you'd spend less money getting a pair of already-water-cooled 295x2 cards.

08/24/2014 09:09 AM

Author Icon
Vegan
Alpha Geek

Originally posted by: adminatron i have a air 540 case from corsair... it's decently cool - but as you know the 290x is quite hot... i have 2 cards with reference coolers and im thinking about snagging 2 more when i get some money... here is my worry... with all of them crammed next to each other will they get enough airflow to breathe without throttling each other? tbh i dont really care about the blow dryer volumes of the 290xs... i usually game with loud speakers or headphones - and tbh i actually kind of LIKE whitenoise. would i prefer it to be quieter? ofcourse! but what kind of coolers can i use that only take up a 2 slot configuration? i originally thought about going with the g10 + h90 or something but i doubt there would be a way to fit all 4 cards next to each other like that... and anyone here have any experience with using pci-e extenders? i could just get like one of those bit miner cases or make my own(which i considered anyways) but im curious about product life/bandwidth problems... i guess i could in theory buy 1 and try it out just to see if there is a performance decrease... but ive heard it can burn your mobo out or something... and thats not a risk im willing to take! ive considered going to to a 295x2 instead, but it would cost SO MUCH MONIES. seems like it would be cheaper to find some second hand reference cards for 250-300$ and then water cool before i did that... all in all - are any of the air coolers able to keep a 2 slot space while still getting good airflow next to another card? in this respect i feel like the reference might be better >.< but idk - hit me up guys! i have a tight budget, but i also dont want to burn my rig up... i worry about my motherboard with something getting to 90+ degrees celcius... gotta p9x79 ws with 4930k and 64gigs of 1866(cas latency 9) so the last thing i want to do is burn up the greater half of the investment

save your $

more than dual video cards do not scale well for 99% of games\

this is due to the alternate frame rendering

your current chassis is not bad, similar to my 300R

my motherboard has a slot between the slots to allow more air flow between cards

new video cards will surface eventually, this fall I am likely to build a rig or 5 with the new intel x99 chipset

nothing for video cards this year and its already late august

Statistics
86367 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.