Topic Title: R9 280x flicker then black screen of death
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/23/2014 03:10 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/23/2014 03:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
radwan
Peon

Hello;

This is my first build and I have invested alot to get it assembeled, but been unlucky when I went for sapphire r9 280x vapuor-x. Sapphire support seems to be really slow and useless so far.  I was hopping to get some help here.

Screen flickered and went to blackscreen of death first time upon trying the run "windows rating" in windows 7. Tried to run the windows rating trice and then I knew that there was somthing wrong.

Even in games such as "call of duty 4" was limited to 5 min playing and then starts to flicker with horizentally colored lines accross the screen, then the whole screen goes in patterend vertical blue lines and system freeze where I have to push the reset button.

I was thinking its a heat issue as I noticed that fans stuck at 20% all the time. I've raised it manuually to 100%(bloody loud), I got a bit improved results ... 10 - 15 min before the disaster happenes again.

I have started changing the drivers as follow (each time a clean install using CCleaner and DDU ... etc):

1. 14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql:

1.1. Screen Flickers, Horizontal colored lines shows up on the screen.

1.2. Couldn't even run the Windows Rating as screen start flickering and PC freeze with vertical and horizental colored lines.

1.3. couldn't run any games for more than 5 min as it ill end up with colored lines and system freeze.

2. amd-catalyst-14.7-rc3-windows-aug12:

2.1. Screen flicker less often, few incidents of colored horizontal lines.
2.2. I couldn't play games as colored lines starts flash the screen and end up with black screen.
2.3. I had to run AMD OverDrive set GPU Clock to 900MHz/RAM 1050MHz/Power +10%/FAN 100%.
2.4. after that tweaking, I was able to run games for 1-2 hours BUT ends up other issues:
> flickering then windows pop up on system tray (next to clock) says "Graphic card stopped working and recovered).
> If I shutdown the game immediately I save myself from pushing the reset button.
> If I carry on playing despite the error msg, screen goes black after quick while.

3. AMD_Catalyst_13.12c_W7_W8_WHQL:
3.1. Once I open a game it start flickering in less than a minute and system freeze in vertical colored lines on screen.
3.2. tried to underclock (GPU 850MHz/MEM 1000MHz), same behavior but a bit longer time before crashing - approx. 5 min. I also noticed that Fan stays on 20% despite Hi-Temp happens in the few min played.
3.3. tried to tweak again (GPU 850MHz/ MEM 1000MHz/ Power 10% /Fan100%). Gaming lasts for 10 Minutes then goes black on HDMI connection or Colored flickers then black screen on DVI connection.
3.4. Event Viewer of windows doesn't show up any Errors/Warnings related to graphic card or its driver.
3.5. some times I am lucky enough to minimize the game and shut it down before black screen occur and I go through GPU-Z and Catalyst to check.

I have ensured as guided by Sapphire Support the following:

• Windows is a fresh install.
  • Windows is up to date.
  • Drivers up to date.
  • BIOS is updated.
  • swapping between display ports (HDMI,DVI..).
  • clean install of card driver (CCleaner, DDU, steps as mentioned in AMD forums).
  • Case is ventlated and airflow is good.
  • no overclokcing of any kind done for the other system component and all hardware setting are set to default (except CPU Fan and Chassis Fans set to max).

Now My system setup is as follow:

• Intel i7 4790 (not K).
  • Asus H97 Pro.
  • Corsair Vengenance 8GB @ 1600 MHz.
  • SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC (UEFI).
  • Seagate 1TB HDD SATA 6Gbps @ 7200RPM.
  • FSP Aurum Pro 850 WAT.
  • Corsair Carbide R200 Case.
  • Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
  • Kaspersky 2015 Internet Security.

BIOS version of my card is: 015.041.000.000.000000(113-2104XTLAFR-V46).

PHEW ... sorry of the lengthy post, I hope somebody can help.

Thanks in advance.

08/25/2014 03:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DeathStarEnterprises
Peon

Don't bother the problem is with the card itself, only fix seems to either suck it up, underclock it, or possibly try different drivers...

And trust me you are not alone... 

Statistics
85545 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.