Topic Title: Issue with XFX R9 290
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/02/2014 11:17 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/02/2014 11:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SystmOveRide
Peon

On the 2nd January 2014 I got myself an XFX R9 290 4GB GPU.

From memory I can't remember if it happened then, but somewhere along the line I started getting random BSoDs ocurring when I wasn't doing anything bar running VLC and browsing the internet. I dismissed this is just computer errors and went about my day, as they were pretty infrequent at the time. Now, however, they have become a lot more frequent. Last week alone I had 2 on Friday and 2 on Saturday. Posting a picture of the BSoD and the "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shut down" to Tom's Hardware, I was  told it was due to drivers, so they advised to reinstall the drivers, which I did, and everything was fine for the rest of the night.

The next day, I started playing Planetside 2 with a friend, and all of a sudden both my monitors start looking like this:

http://www.amusement.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/glitch3.jpg

It was strange in that for a few minutes my Steam voice chat was still fully functional, but then my whole system completely crashed. This has happened once.

However tonight I once again have been attacked by the BSoD, which is really starting to get on my nerves when all I'm doing is browsing the web. I checked the codes and it's the same as the driver ones from before.

I really don't know what to do at this point. The place I got it from said they can repair  the card, though, I'm more concerned that when/if I send it it won't act up for them and I'll be charged the $25 and all shipping costs and get a buggy card sent back to me. I'd really like to be able to pursue a refund and get either another 290 or a different card all together, but the problem isn't something I can easily replicate, I potentially can if I can remember everything I had open in my browser, but other than that it only happens when it feels like it.

Any help for this issue would be so very gladly appreciated!

09/05/2014 06:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
daredaw
Peon

Have you tried to underclock memory or add some voltage to it ? Sometimes it can be just a black screen, and sometimes it could be BSOD. What clocks is your card running on ? Is your voltage slider at 0 or some other value ? You could use MS AfterBurner - version 4.0 full is out by now, or some other OC util and let us know.

I had a black screen problem, look in my "werid driver behaviour" topic here, I think it's affecting other cards too, because of AMD and other companies are unable to get a standard on what voltages and what clocks should they use. I got it fixed with the new BIOS which Sapphire support sent me. That BIOS was at +25V by default, my older BIOS was at +0 (which may be not sufficient for some RAM chips).

Statistics
88966 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.