Topic Title: HD 7850 - "Driver has stopped responding" persistent error
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/27/2012 05:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/27/2012 05:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
EvgenMan
n00b

Graphics Card
HIS HD 7850 IceQ X 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Not overclocked (AMD overdrive disabled)

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
12.8 Catalyst. Previously used 12.6, 12.7 and CD version drivers.

Operating System
Windows 7 64 bit

Issue Details
Video freezes completely (sound is still heard) for 3-6 seconds. Screen goes black (not only the video client, but the whole screen), then returns after 4-6 seconds.

The issue tends to occur under load and I have identified areas in each game where the issue is almost certain to occur. However, issue also commonly occurs randomly around the game world.

Applications and Games

Occuring: Guild Wars 2, WoW.

Not occuring: Crusader Kings II

CPU Details
Processor - Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W).
Not overclocked to the best of my knowledge.

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
Connected to monitor by DVI.

Motherboard BIOS Version
ASRock Z77 Pro4-M Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard. BIOS version 1.2 (previously used 1.0 and 1.1)

System Memory Type & Amount
Adata XPG Gaming v1.0 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

Power Supply
PSU - OCZ ZS Series 550W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply

Additional information:

I've been trawling through the internet for 4 days now trying to find a solution, but to no avail.

I bought a new gaming rig a few days ago and assembled it on Thursday, just in time for that sweet sweet Guild Wars 2 pre-purchase headstart. Needless to say, I was devastated when, despite the high-quality graphics that I was receiving, my video kept crashing and flickering to black, followed by the message "Display driver AMD driver has stopped responding and has recovered."; At first, I got these every 10-20 minutes or so, but now I can't play for 5 minutes without getting one, sometimes a whole chain one straight after the other. I've been searching for a solution for several days now, but I can't seem to find anything that works. I now humbly turn to the internet to see if anyone can suggest something.

The parts I bought:

RAM - Adata XPG Gaming v1.0 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
PSU - OCZ ZS Series 550W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply
MB - ASRock Z77 Pro4-M Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard
Processor - Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W)
Video Card - HIS HD 7850 IceQ X 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

A couple of my own parts, reused:

An old 300GB HDD

An old DvD/CD Drive

So far, I have tried the following fixes, nothing works:

Installing motherboard drivers.
Installing/updating AMD drivers.
Complete uninstall (using driver sweeper) of AMD drivers, then a fresh install.
Disabling realtek onboard sound drivers.
Disabling hardware acceleration for firefox/adobe flash.
Disabling antivirus software (MSE).
Increasing TdrDelay in the registry from 2 to 8.
Underclocking my GPU. Overclocking my GPU.
Temperature check (everything running great).

Increasing idle clock settings.Disabling Cataclyst Control Center.
Switching my RAM (tried with only 1 stick, switched RAM to slots 2 and 4 from 1 and 3).
Checking wire connections.
Disabling forced antialiasing.
Disabling AMD overdrive.
Disabling tessellation.
Turning game graphics to low.
Probably some others I've forgotten.

Possible solutions I've not tried yet.

Power supply is too weak? - I've been told this could be a cause, but it's difficult to test this without getting hold of a new PSU.

About the occurrence:

Only happens when gaming (Videos, etc. work fine), usually in graphically demanding areas, but not always. It is not confined to 1 game (I've tried it with both WoW and Guild Wars 2 and it appears in both).

I tried disabling TDR through regedit (TdrLevel set to 0). This resulted in hard crashes.

I have tried playing with the monitor plugged into my motherboard and thus using native graphics, and the problem did not appear. However, native graphics are awful. This makes me think that it is GPU related. (hardware or software?)

That's pretty much it. If anyone has any questions/suggestions/anything I could try, please post them. Thanks!

Edited: 08/27/2012 at 05:10 PM by EvgenMan
 01/16/2013 07:55 AM

Author Icon
Boom3
Peon

Dont know if you still got the problem but it's sounds familiar. The only thing for me that worked is sticking to a driver without any problems (11.9). Old yes but he , it's working fine and the game also (BF3)

ps. All driver updates after this verion did result in crashes of the game (videocard HD5850)

Edited: 01/16/2013 at 08:01 AM by Boom3
 01/16/2013 02:34 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Is there not a registry tweak for TDR to increase the time, not set it to 0?

You should review AMD's KB Article regarding this issue:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-27116RadeonSeries-ATIKMDAGhasstoppedrespondingerrormessages.aspx

The frustrating fact about the issue is that the root cause could be many things - some of which (like the PSU) are not AMD-based.  Try to thoroughly uninstall AMD's drivers & software.  Try Catalyst 12.11 BETA from our website:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

The 550W PSU might be the cause. In the games you play, try to dump the graphics quality and resolution settings to try and get the card to draw less power.

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

01/16/2013 04:30 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

TDR to 0 ??  That defeats the purpose. Read the Microsoft article  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487368

quote: " Timeout Detection and Recovery is a Windows feature that can detect when video adapter hardware or a driver on your PC has taken longer than expected to complete an operation. When this happens, Windows attempts to recover and reset the graphics hardware. If the GPU is unable to recover and reset the graphics hardware in the time permitted (2 seconds), your system may become unresponsive, and display the error “Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.”

Giving the Timeout Detection and Recovery feature more time to complete this operation by adjusting the registry value, may resolve this issue.""

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Edited: 06/22/2013 at 03:58 AM by stumped
 06/22/2013 03:56 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: xblackheart Link no longer works. How do I change the timeout detection?

The following is a way to extend the time Windows waits before it restarts the video. It doesn't "fix" the original issue, but it should prevent most, if not all, of the TDR's from happening.

Note: If you are not familiar with editing the registry, I wouldn't recommend changing the TDR. It involves creating new keys and values, which have to be exactly the same as the instructions, even the capitalization.

1.Click Start, Run, and type "regedit"
2.Navigate to: HKey Local Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\
3.Locate the "GraphicsDrivers" key, and right-click on it.
4.Click "New"at the top of the page and create "DWORD Value"(for 32bit) or "QWORD" (for 64bit)
5.Label the new value "TdrDelay"
6.Double click on TdrDelay, and enter the number of seconds you want Windows to wait before timing out. The default is two seconds, so start out with 8, and you can make it a few seconds longer if it doesn't fix the issue.
7.Close the registry editor and reboot the computer.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

06/22/2013 06:08 AM

Author Icon
xblackheart
Peon

Link no longer works. How do I change the timeout detection?

Statistics
84842 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.