Topic Title: BUG Report: WHQL 12.8 drivers problem with FireFox & Flash Player on 7970
Topic Summary: 12.8 drivers causes video corruption in FireFox & Flash Player
Created On: 08/30/2012 11:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/30/2012 11:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AllGamer

before i install any new driver, or roll back to an older driver, I always uninstall all the old Catalyst driver & software from Control Panel.

FireFox browser v14.x never had any problem using any driver from 12.6 or before, even the 12.7 beta drivers were excellent

but 12.8 official WHQL drivers for whatever reason it causes FireFox to always break the graphics, causing the content area to go all BLACK, it can easily be reproduced, when you use the scroll wheel of the mouse to quickly go up or down the page, or simply using the keyboard page down/page up successively

it appears to be related to 2D hardware acceleration being flawed in the 12.8 drivers

unable to reproduce same behaviour on IE8 / Win7 x64 using 12.8, it only shows on Firefox 14 / Win7 x64

At first i though it might just be Adobe Flash being affected, but the problem actually happened on any website with media contents, usually forums or online stores (ebay, amazon, news sites)

rolling back to 12.7 beta or 12.6 WHQL solved the issue.

the graphic corruption can be reproduced regardless if the two 7970 were in crossfire or not

-------------------------
AllGamer

Edited: 09/05/2012 at 04:30 PM by AllGamer
 08/30/2012 11:41 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

What about Firefox 15?

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 08/30/2012 02:03 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

If updating Firefox to the current version does not 'cure' your issue, uncheck "use hardware acceleration" in tools>options>general.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

08/31/2012 11:07 AM

Author Icon
AllGamer

don't know, don't care

just reporting the bug to anyone Driver Dev that might be reading this forum.

don't feel like wasting another 30 min of my time doing troubleshooting for stuff that the QA team should have found before 12.8 was released.

if all previous drivers 12.7 and older did not have this problem, with the same rig... it'll preposterous to think the fault is specific to a specific Firefox version.

yup, that's exactly what i though as well, it's most definitely related to the hardware acceleration bugged in 12.8

AllGamer
 08/31/2012 11:29 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: AllGamer don't know, don't care

just reporting the bug to anyone Driver Dev that might be reading this forum.

don't feel like wasting another 30 min of my time doing troubleshooting for stuff that the QA team should have found before 12.8 was released.

if all previous drivers 12.7 and older did not have this problem, with the same rig... it'll preposterous to think the fault is specific to a specific Firefox version.

yup, that's exactly what i though as well, it's most definitely related to the hardware acceleration bugged in 12.8

Question? Why do you think Firefox updates itself? Why do you not want to update Firefox but want to update your graphics card? Why did you not read the many posts here asking the same or similar question..and reading the solution? Why do you think Firefox gives you the option to use/not use hardware accelleration? Why did you not use the problem Report form instead of making a jackass out of yourself on a user-to-user forum?

Have a nice day.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

09/05/2012 03:00 PM

Author Icon
AllGamer

ok if you thik for a moment

when the same version of FF works on all previous drivers releases, except 12.8

how can FF be at fault, and not the driver?

and if you must know yes FF15 still has issues

the original findings in the bug report were done before FF15 was released, and FF14 were tested using all previous drivers version

FF15 was only tested between 12.6 and 12.8

Again QA teams fault

Boooya!

AllGamer
 09/05/2012 03:17 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

@AllGamer, I must interrupt/interject here and state the obvious.

You are coming across as very confrontational. Please tone it down. You posted a thread and others are trying to help resolve the situation. If you don't want to try any of the suggestions please feel free to state that in your OP or simply do not post the thread. No-one here is attacking you so there is no reason for you to be rude back. I understand that you are frustrated with the situation but let's at least be civil.

Please consider this a warning and conduct yourself appropriately from this point forward.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

09/05/2012 04:16 PM

Author Icon
AllGamer

I was pretty clear to have provided the solution already on the original post.

Originally posted by: AllGamer before i install any new driver, or roll back to an older driver, I always uninstall all the old Catalyst driver & software from Control Panel.

FireFox browser v14.x never had any problem using any driver from 12.6 or before, even the 12.7 beta drivers were excellent

but 12.8 official WHQL drivers for whatever reason it causes FireFox to always break the graphics, causing the content area to go all BLACK, it can easily be reproduced, when you use the scroll wheel of the mouse to quickly go up or down the page, or simply using the keyboard page down/page up successively

it appears to be related to 2D hardware acceleration being flawed in the 12.8 drivers

unable to reproduce same behaviour on IE8 / Win7 x64 using 12.8, it only shows on Firefox 14 / Win7 x64

At first i though it might just be Adobe Flash being affected, but the problem actually happened on any website with media contents, usually forums or online stores (ebay, amazon, news sites)

rolling back to 12.7 beta or 12.6 WHQL solved the issue.

the graphic corruption can be reproduced regardless if the two 7970 were in crossfire or not

In the last post might have sounded harsh, but the intention was to provide the additional data findings everyone seemed to be so hang on to, without giving it another though.

Next time I'll make sure I'll put a big banner saying

"BUG Report Only: no need for answers"

AllGamer
 09/05/2012 04:30 PM

Author Icon
AllGamer

BTW here's additional info

several people have neen able to confirm it's actually Adobe Flash causing the issue on Firefox, only when using 12.8

so we have a 3 car collision here (AMD, FireFox, Adobe), some one needs to pick up the tab, and get the bug sorted out

and evidences suggest AMD will be on the tab fo this one, very unlikely FireFox or Adobe are gonna care at all for just a bunch of AMD users.

AllGamer
Statistics
84096 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.