Topic Title: World of Warcraft DirectX 11 Radeon HD 7850 freeze+crash Catalyst driver related issue
Topic Summary: Freeze+crash with directx 11 enabled in wow with Radeon HD7850 all catalyst versions back to 12.4
Created On: 09/03/2012 12:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/03/2012 12:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Rumraket
Peon

Graphics Card: 

Club 3D Radeon HD 7850, 2048 MB GDDR 5 PCI Express 3.0

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver history: 

ALL catalyst versions from 12.8 back to 12.4, including all intermediate beta drivers. 

Operating System: 

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, constantly kept updated through windows update. 

Issue Details: 

In world of warcraft, both 32 and 64 bit versions, if DirectX 11 is enabled, the computer will eventually freeze and lock up completely (with varying time of gaming allowed, from anywhere between instant crash at start of game to several hours played), with the last 10 ms sound looping. Computer is completely non-responsive and will require a hard reset. 

Changing to DirectX 9 will fix the problem, at a slight cost in performance(the directX 11 version of the game simply runs better). 

This issue persist with all Catalyst driver versions going back to the 12.4 version. I've tested them all. Only the 12.3 catalyst version does not have the problem, but all subsequent catalyst versions up to the latest 12.8 version will have the issue. I've also tried all available Catalyst Application Profiles (CAP's) up to and including the 12.7 CAP 3 beta without any luck. 

The issue is, apparently, entirely DirectX 11 related, as far as I can gather, since no amount of tweaking the graphics settings has any bearing on the problem. I normally play with 4xMSAA, 8xAF, 1680x1050 and every other in-game graphics setting on highest possible (ranging according to setting from HIGH to ULTRA). Vsync disabled. 

Applications and games: 

World of warcraft, all patches since directX 11 feature was introduced, up to and including Mists of Pandaria 5.0.4 (current as of writing this post).

CPU Details: 

Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.2 GHz  (factory settings, no overlocking) Quad-core with HT (8 threads).

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) UsedDisplay Device(s) and Connection(s) Used:

Samsung SyncMaster 2233, connected via DVI straight from card to monitor. 

Motherboard or System Make & Model:

ASUS Sabertooth X58.

Motherboard BIOS Version:

Sabertooth X58 BIOS 1402 2012.08.29 update

System Memory Type & Amount:

6GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 (3x2GB TR3X6G1600C8 G)

Power supply: 

Corsair CX600, 600W Power supply 

http://www.corsair.com/builder-series-cx600.html 

Pics of computer case, power supply and specs: 

http://i48.tinypic.com/xaqvs6.jpg 

http://i47.tinypic.com/33ojuxi.jpg 

http://i50.tinypic.com/2ljpym1.jpg

Additional Hardware: 

128GB Samsung 830 SSD drive (windows drive)

Samsung HD502HJ 500GB Mechanical harddrive

Samsung HD502IJ 500GB Mechanical harddrive

Seagate ST3500620AS 500GB Mechanical harddrive

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H60N dvd drive

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio PCI Express

I run with an open computer case, using standard CPU and Graphics card fans. 

Additional Details: 

"System" checks done: Tried all other games I have, including RAGE from ID Software, Quake 4, Doom 3, Minecraft, EVE Online, Supreme Commander 1 and 2, Half-life 2 all episodes, Natural Selection 2 Beta, League of Legends, Alien Swarm, Company of Heroes(including Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor) and I only seem to get the issue in World of Warcraft with directx 11 enabled. 

DXDiag reports no problems detected. Haven't tried swapping hardware with anyone, though for a while I suspected a memory issue I did try and swap around the memory modules in their respective slots all to no avail. Wow in directx 11 still gets freeze+crash and nothing else seems to do.

Edited: 09/03/2012 at 02:10 PM by Rumraket
 09/07/2012 04:06 AM

Author Icon
Rumraket
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped
Originally posted by: Rumraket Exact same problem exists with wow and directx 11. Freeze+crash issues reported from countless users with 7XXX series cards. 

You keep posting the same thing on other peoples posts. And you are answered.

No, I'm not. I have been given a general suggestion to test my memory, which I did, and they are fine. 

You won't accept that other people do not have a problem with that game and that card and that driver.

I'd love that to be true, but it's not. Go and fire up your wow in directx 11 mode, play for several hours and report back here. A quick 20 minute is not enough, sometimes the computer crashes within minutes of entering wow, other times it takes hours before the computer freezes. 

Now, the problem is that for any solution you're going 

You have a problem that is obvious. It would be more of interest if you reported here what WoW had to say about the issue. 

Rollback to 12.3 drivers, they work. Or play in directx 9 until AMD fixes the driver issue. 

The problem for those who tell me it's "wow's fault" is they have no explanation for why 12.3 drivers work, but subsequent catalyst versions do not. 

"Countless users with Nvidia series cards experiencing Freeze+crash issues". Again, thousands of users ...you know the rest. Sometimes it helps to google the 'other guys' cards and see what issues they have..in the same game.http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4079619925

I'm under no illusions about "the other guys". I replaced a GF 550 ti because it sucked major balls and had plenty of issues of it's own, with my current HD 7850, and if it weren't for this persistent wow problem I'd actually love my card. It performs wonderfully, when it performs

Unfortunately the problem reported there is not entirely of the same nature as mine. The guy reports that he can use his mouse and sometimes speak on ventrilo etc. despite the computer locking up. I can do no such thing. Furthermore, several guys in that thread report that the issue also exist in DirectX 9 for them. I don't have that problem either. So it's only tangentially related. 

Aaand I can still use the 12.3 drivers with wow directx 11 and the problem goes away. The issue started with 12.4 and has stayed for every subsequent catalyst version.

Complains of crazy looking pixelated screen with goofy colors. I don't have that problem, so it's unrelated. The guy replying to him talks about getting an error message and still being able to use his computer despite wow freezing, I can't use mine, get no error message and the computer locks up completely and requires a hard reset. 

This guy says the problem only started appearing for him in patch 5.0.4. My problem goes back almost 5 months.

Guildwars 2? How is this even related? I don't care if "other cards" have issues. The problem is that MY card has issues and I'd like to it fixed of course. Again, I'm not under any illusions that other cards and games don't have their fair share of problems, but I also don't want to just be dismissed with "I don't have this problem myself" or "it's wow's fault" or "nvidia users have issues too". 

This link doesn't work. It just says "black screen crash", which already sounds unrelated since I don't get a black screen when I crash.

Lots of different issues reported in that thread from users with all kinds of different hardware. Hard so say if it's related, other than, funnily, the OP in the thread has a freeze+crash issue with a 7XXX series card, and some guys later in the thread with ATI cards report that a driver rollback from 12.4 to 12.2 fixes the issue for them. 

So now? I think WoW would clean up there own problem, if there was one.

Well if it turns out the issue is with wow and not drivers, I agree. 

09/08/2012 11:03 AM

Author Icon
Sreimund
n00b

Eerily enough this issue seems to be the exact same I have only while playing TERA online(which was mentioned previously). sadly this issue seems to exist in TERA for a long time as well and I had to figure out the hard way when I got a new computer including my AMD Radeon 7800 HD series graphics card. The only thing I learned here is that reverting back to directx9 apparently fixes it so I guess I can at least play the game now. I also play other games such as league of legends but have absolutely no problems with it. 

If asked I will also add my full specs although something as simple as a RAM issue is impossible since I have 16 GB of it and I already ran a check as the TERA online support suggested.

I contacted the TERA online support which gave me numerous suggestions such as running full screen(not windowed), lower quality settings and a bunch of other things that didn't end up working. I reckon I'd get the same problem with world of warcraft were I to try playing that right now.

I'll add a link to a youtube video that displays exactly what it looks like when it crashes. Mind you I can't use my computer at all after it does and have to hard-reboot in order to do anything. I haven't had it crash immediately when playing yet but I've played fine for a day before, have one crash a day and today I've had 4 in a really short time frame.

I hope this contributes to this topic as well because the problems appear to be incredibly similar if not the same. Also the TERA online support gave up on me completely and said I had tried everything by now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=04yss2SWlWg

___________________________edit

Seems that downgrading to directx9 isnt going to help since tera doesn't run 11 to begin with. I did try but it still crashes. In fact today I've had 7 crashes already which pretty much makes the game unplayable.

Edited: 09/08/2012 at 01:39 PM by Sreimund
 09/08/2012 01:48 PM

Author Icon
Vantharas
Polygon Pusher

I play WOW with 0 issue's. Useing my 7950, and Eyefinity. It works perfectly with DX11 and has since they enabled the DX11 API path in WOW. 

I play for hours at a time when I raid. and if my drivers were constantly crashing I would have a fix. So if the drivers work fine for me. They should work fine for you to.

Also when I have web browsers and other stuff open. I have hardware acceleration turned off. So that flash does not slow down my 3d gaming.

And I installed 12.8 WQHLs useing driver sweeper to insure a fresh install as well as the caps as of a few days ago.

-------------------------

I5 3570K@4~5.0ghz: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H:Corsair Hydro H110 :16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-3 1600: x2 XFX Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1575 : Corsair AX 860 PSU: x1 WD Black 1TB HDD's: 90GB Agility 3: 960GB SSD : Creative Labs X-FI:Corsair 500R Arctic White Edition:3 22inch Monitors Eyefinity @ 5294x 1050 : Alienware Tact-X Keyboard: Razer Naga :Corsair Vengence 1500 Headset: Corsair SP2500 Speakers

Edited: 09/08/2012 at 02:00 PM by Vantharas
 09/08/2012 02:18 PM

Author Icon
Sreimund
n00b

Originally posted by: Vantharas I play WOW with 0 issue's. Useing my 7950, and Eyefinity. It works perfectly with DX11 and has since they enabled the DX11 API path in WOW. 

I play for hours at a time when I raid. and if my drivers were constantly crashing I would have a fix. So if the drivers work fine for me. They should work fine for you to.

Also when I have web browsers and other stuff open. I have hardware acceleration turned off. So that flash does not slow down my 3d gaming.

And I installed 12.8 WQHLs useing driver sweeper to insure a fresh install as well as the caps as of a few days ago.

I hate to bring you down but you didn't help much, actually you didn't help at all. Can you please stay on topic and help us with the issue rather then saying you'd have a fix if it were you? No offense.

09/08/2012 06:30 PM

Author Icon
Vantharas
Polygon Pusher

I don't care if you think I didn't help at all. Why don't you take your own advice and stay on topic..instead of posting a post to say I didn't help.

Secondly if I could reproduce the issue you have I would have a fix for it more then likely unless it truly was all AMD's fault. As WOW is the main game I play.You think I'm going to pay 800$ for video cards that break the game I have the most fun with?

I at least posted how I installed my drivers. That I have turned off Accelerated flash to make sure my UVD drivers didn't interfere with the game when I have a web browser open. And that I used a fresh install of the drivers. To insure that I didn't have any back issues. Or wierd install issues.(which I have had my fair share of in the past)

Not to mention doing what I simply posted has fixed more then its own share of issues. So I'm sorry if it didn't help *you*.

I5 3570K@4~5.0ghz: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H:Corsair Hydro H110 :16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-3 1600: x2 XFX Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1575 : Corsair AX 860 PSU: x1 WD Black 1TB HDD's: 90GB Agility 3: 960GB SSD : Creative Labs X-FI:Corsair 500R Arctic White Edition:3 22inch Monitors Eyefinity @ 5294x 1050 : Alienware Tact-X Keyboard: Razer Naga :Corsair Vengence 1500 Headset: Corsair SP2500 Speakers

09/09/2012 07:05 AM

Author Icon
Rumraket
Peon

Originally posted by: Vantharas I don't care if you think I didn't help at all. Why don't you take your own advice and stay on topic..instead of posting a post to say I didn't help.

Secondly if I could reproduce the issue you have I would have a fix for it more then likely unless it truly was all AMD's fault. As WOW is the main game I play.You think I'm going to pay 800$ for video cards that break the game I have the most fun with?

I at least posted how I installed my drivers. That I have turned off Accelerated flash to make sure my UVD drivers didn't interfere with the game when I have a web browser open. And that I used a fresh install of the drivers. To insure that I didn't have any back issues. Or wierd install issues.(which I have had my fair share of in the past)

Not to mention doing what I simply posted has fixed more then its own share of issues. So I'm sorry if it didn't help *you*.

Thank you for your suggestions. I've tried all of them and none of them fixes the issue. Every time I try new drivers, I first uninstall them using control panel, reboot, then use driver fusions to clean everything the standard uninstaller doesn't remove, reboot again, then install new drivers and then reboot again. The problem persists, but if I install the 12.3 drivers the problem goes away. 

Whatever problem you imagine is at fault needs to take the fact that the 12.3 drivers fixes the problem into account. Why would the 12.3 drivers work, but subsequent catalyst versions NOT? 

There is only one obvious answer to that question, namely that all subsequent catalyst versions to 12.3 contain some sort of "fix" that inadvertently breaks Wow directx 11 functionality for a lot of 7XXX series owners. 

Now you're here telling us you don't have this problem. Great, good for you, I wish it was me. Maybe you've got an unusual hardware or software combination so the issue doesn't come up for you. You say you've disabled hardware acceleration in your browser to avoid interference with the game, this can't be the problem because the problem persists even If I don't open my browser or any other program. 

09/14/2012 08:07 AM

Author Icon
shadowsky76
Peon

I have EXACTLY the same issue as Rumraket, except that I bought my HD7970 in May and started with 12.4 drivers (never tried 12.3).

BTW reading this topic (and some others on other forums) I noticed that this issue is often with people runnig their cards on older (X58) boards. Vantharas is running on Z77 chipset, which is somewhat newer. Perhaps problem is with some energy saving protocol and/or PCIE protocol ?

I had some hdmi sound related issues since 12.6 drivers, and I noticed those issues emerged when my HD7970 went into power saving mode (150MHz core 300MHz mem clocks). When I keep clocks higher, sound is ok (by using any 3d active, or using accelerated video decoder, hell even keeping 2 displays active works).

09/14/2012 10:41 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

I would question why wow crashes in dx11 mode regardless of which AMD card you use or which Nvidia card you use. Just googling 'wow dx11 crash' gives results for many AMD and Nvidia cards. What is WoW's response to this?

http://www.google.com/search?q=dx11+wow+crash&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=&oe=

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

***** cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus ******

09/16/2012 05:36 PM

Author Icon
Rumraket
Peon

Originally posted by: shadowsky76 I have EXACTLY the same issue as Rumraket, except that I bought my HD7970 in May and started with 12.4 drivers (never tried 12.3).

BTW reading this topic (and some others on other forums) I noticed that this issue is often with people runnig their cards on older (X58) boards. Vantharas is running on Z77 chipset, which is somewhat newer. Perhaps problem is with some energy saving protocol and/or PCIE protocol ?

That's an interesting observation. Is it possible to test this without changing the motherboard? Is there some setting that can be tweaked?

09/18/2012 03:30 AM

Author Icon
shadowsky76
Peon

Over the weekend, I had 2 freezes in Civ 5 in DX11 mode (and 2-3 freezes in WoW DX11). No freezes in WoW DX9 (I switch to DX9 mode for raids, where freezes could be fatal to whole raid), and have not tried Civ 5 in DX9 .

So, I'm not sure if its WoW's fault, or AMD's. I dont play anything else atm.

BTW I always raid in WoW in DX9, and have not had a single freeze in that mode, ever.

09/18/2012 10:50 AM

Author Icon
Tarfu
n00b

checking blizz's site and their forums.. wow and directx 11 seem to be an issue.. they are also recommending you switch back to directX 9.... this seems to be especially prominent with nvidia cards, but also some radeons. I have the 6750, latest drivers... and no crashes running on '9' vs '11'.. Blizz's newest patch also has some radeon cards, mine included, running at extremely lower fps, even with '9' running.. so do not think the issue is with ATI

09/18/2012 01:03 PM

Author Icon
Rumraket
Peon

Originally posted by: Tarfu checking blizz's site and their forums.. wow and directx 11 seem to be an issue.. they are also recommending you switch back to directX 9.... this seems to be especially prominent with nvidia cards, but also some radeons. I have the 6750, latest drivers... and no crashes running on '9' vs '11'.. Blizz's newest patch also has some radeon cards, mine included, running at extremely lower fps, even with '9' running.. so do not think the issue is with ATI

Then why do the 12.3 drivers work for me? If I roll back to 12.3, I get no crashes with DX11 in wow. 

09/27/2012 12:46 PM

Author Icon
shadowsky76
Peon

Still freezing with 12.9 Beta, twice today within an hour, then another hour in DX9 mode without problems. Seems not to get any better with newest drivers...

09/28/2012 09:14 AM

Author Icon
Chakin
n00b

I have a msi hd7950 - was having issues with freezing while running directx11...switched to directx9 and didn't crash at all. 

Looking at the blizzard forums that this seems to be there issue and not a driver issue.

09/30/2012 06:44 PM

Author Icon
shadowsky76
Peon

I think its driver issue. On friday evening I reverted back to 12.3, and have been playing WoW in DX11 without a single freeze ever since.

10/18/2012 09:57 PM

Author Icon
locc
Peon

I've exactly this same problem. In DX11 mode wow freezes randomly (whole system locks up with looping sound). Sometimes it holds up for many hours and other times freezes fast. This started to happen when I upgraded from 5850 to 7950. I've tried different drivers but same results. In DX9 mode freezes are really rare but have happened few times.  5850 card wont freeze in DX11 nor DX9 modes ever.

Asus P6X58D Premium (X58)
i7 920
18GB DDR3
Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X (Asus HD5850 as old card)

10/19/2012 10:41 AM

Author Icon
shadowsky76
Peon

Try using 12.3 driver. I had not a single freeze since I installed it few weeks ago.

10/19/2012 11:17 PM

Author Icon
locc
Peon

Originally posted by: shadowsky76 Try using 12.3 driver. I had not a single freeze since I installed it few weeks ago.

I did clean install on Win 7 64bit, updated it, intalled 12.3 drivers... and after about ~8h of playing wow same freeze happened in DX11 mode. I was getting hopefull that 12.3 fixed the freezing but no.

10/21/2012 09:55 PM

Author Icon
quang quang
n00b

Still freezing with 12.9 Beta, twice today within an hour, then another hour in DX9 mode without problems. Seems not to get any better with newest drivers

Statistics
88853 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.