Topic Title: Planetside 2 Crossfire support, please? Pretty Please?
Topic Summary: Zero scaling in Planetside 2 with Crossfire enabled.
Created On: 09/29/2012 09:44 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/29/2012 09:44 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Pine
Peon

I have been in the Planetside 2 beta for a little while now and i am trying to be patient for Crossfire support. I have tried forcing crossfire on with AFR Friendly, and Optimize 1x1, with not much luck. I get display corruption within vehicles, and other graphical glitches. I also have worse performance than if i use just one card.

I'm not asking for it to be perfect, just somethign please. Yes i do realize that its still a beta. However there have been at leat 4 CAPs and 2 driver versions since it has gone into public beta. Can i please get some suport here?

Also there is already Crossfire support for Hawken (Still in Alpha), Mechwarrior Online (Closed Beta), and there have been others before like Blacklight: Retribution, and Tribes: Ascend as well.

Please??

09/29/2012 10:49 AM

Author Icon
markjohnson
Grinding Levels

You most likely will see new drivers soo after windows 8 is released. I'm sure there main focus is on windows 8 currently.

-=Mark=-
also, try the Planetside 2 beta forums for best support.

-------------------------
GigaByte GA-970A-UD3 | AMD FX-8120 | 16GB (4 x 4GB) G. Skill DDR3-1333 C7 | MSI 7750 OC | 1TB Seagate 7200.11 | Dual boot Windows 7 Ult x64/Ubuntu 10.10 x64
 09/29/2012 08:47 PM

Author Icon
Pine
Peon

I have posted on the Planetside 2 forums about this. I have even asked them to push AMD to do something.

Also what "support" should i expect from the PS2 forums. I'm not expecting a new driver from them. At the most i would expect a "we are working closely with AMD so resolve this issue" and even that would make me happy

It is not their responsibility to give me support for my graphics card. That is AMDs job. SOE didnt make my card, AMD did.

They optimize the game, and AMD gives me a driver. Thats how it usually works, whats different this time? BF3 beta got a driver too...

I am posting this here because as a customer, i expect support for my 450$ card that i have 2 of, from the chip manufacturer...

I didnt want to bring this up, but i'm going to now. NVIDIA is and has been spporting this game with regular updates. As a competitor i expect AMD to do the same. Really, i am not kidding. Seeing how i am looking at a new card next year, this may sway me to the other side. I love AMD and ATI and have great respect for them, but these driver issues have been going on for a while. I want some support please.

I'm not trying to be rude, or snarky. I seriously just want my other 450$ card to do something with this game. Thats all, nothing special. It can just barley work and i would be happy. I dont care if i get 61 frames vs 60, i just have this card doing nothing right now (i'm not playing anythign else ATM). I can't enable it due to negative scaling issues right now.

Please? Please? Please? 

Even a comment from a dev giveing me a reason for this would be fantastic. How about a temporary fix? I am capable, and wouldnt mind manually changing something for this to work a little until a new CAP.

Please and thank you.

09/29/2012 10:30 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Well see Pine, this has been asked before, so if a mod would please lock this and direct them to that topic, I am sure Pine will see the responses we gave, such as Planetside 2 being IN BETA STATUS with NO SET RELEASE DATE. You would think someone who spent $450 on a video card would know how to do a simple search...

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 09/30/2012 12:32 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Dude... the guy just wants to know what's up with his game.  No need to be out for blood about it.

Anyway... I can think of a few reasons why crossfire support for Planetside 2 might have fallen off the radar.  There's been a flock of executives leaving AMD in recent months, so I don't imagine corporate life inside AMD is very cheerful at the moment.  That's just the sort of thing which can lead to stuff falling through the cracks.  Also, even in the best of times multi-GPU setups would not receive a majority of resources at either AMD or Nvidia.  If there were as many people buying $450 cards as there were $200 cards then that would change, but there isn't.  Of course to support one product differently than another over something that is almost arbitrary sounds totally lame to just about any geek, but the world is ruled by bean counters and they're just weird.

Speaking as a software engineer myself I can tell you that the number of other non-technical things which can screw with your projects are legion.  Dilbert became a classic for a reason.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

09/30/2012 01:40 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Less-than-two-week-old thread Here. As stated, beta game, no set release date. Also doesn't matter if it is a released game, the developers still have to add in support for Crossfire, case and point The Secret World 2 or Age of Conan. When Sony decides to stop going through corporate reorganization and gives AMD what they need, AMD will enable Crossfire support.

As for these other games you mentioned, Hawken, Blacklight: Retribution, and Tribes: Ascend use the Unreal 3 engine (existing, 2011), and Mechwarrior Online uses the Crytek 3 engine (existing, 2011), whereas Planetside 2 use some new Sony developed Forgelight engine which apparently will favor nVidia (as it will support nVidia PhysX instead of OpenCL, Havok, or DirectCompute). So, 4 games in beta using existing engines can have support because the engine they use is existing, new beta game with a new engine does not.

So even though AMD is playing 52 Pick Em Up with executives and has less money in the bank than Greece, not everything is AMDs fault.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 09/30/2012 12:28 PM

Author Icon
Pine
Peon

Thank you Moderator. I'm sorry to hear about that.

The new PR guy sure is popular already, huh?

Do you know of any tips or tricks i can do, to trick it into working properly?

black_zion i read that thread before i posted, thank you. If you read it again, you can clearly see that there is no constructive information posted. Therefore redundant.

That guy had a good reason to be so upset, i would be too if i had 3 expensive paperweights in my tower while playing PS2.

Good point on the UE3, forgot about that.

I can see you didnt bring up Battlefield, because that was supported from alpha, and was a new engine.

PS2 is set to release before December 31st, thats not far off. So something better happen soon or a couple of nice cards are going on ebay when PS2 comes out...

If a huge game like this isnt supported, AMD will lose more customers than just me. As of right now there are 6 servers (that I know of), supporting a max of 2000 players each (thats 2000 players on the same continent on one server at one time) you can do the math.

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Continents

From what I understand the game needs to get some CPU driver support from AMD as well. Apparently it runs horrible on high end AMD machines. With the 8150 and 7970 together, the game is apparently unplayable.

Edited: 09/30/2012 at 11:13 PM by AMD Support and Game Moderator
 09/30/2012 11:16 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Alright....I cleaned it up, please stay on topic....and stop attacking eachother.  If it continues I'll lock the thread and maybe more.  Let's try and help Pine and not attack him....and if you can't say anything nice...go watch a movie or something.

Cheers!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

09/30/2012 11:18 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

It's been a while since I've done any game development, so unfortunately I don't know much in the way of specifics about the innards of how Crossfire works.  Sometimes though, it's actually eaiser to build support for certain features in a new engine... because it's a new engine.  Legacy code is the bane of many developers.  Often times it's just baggage which gets in the way, so sometimes it's easier when building from scratch.

So... why doesn't it work?  I dunno.  Like I said, there's plenty of other completely non-technical reasons which can gum up the works also.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

10/01/2012 07:54 AM

Author Icon
fretboard

@ Canis - Sorry mate, nobody attacked him at all, he was being obstinate and got set straight. You haven't seen anybody get a real putdown here yet, as nobody really does that - even to the rude ones like this guy - but when it happens you'll be left in no doubt about it as the thread would look a lot different language-wise.

Think you new Mods have gotten this forum and it's users all wrong, well a couple of you have already.

@ Mime - he got told that the game Devs and AMD have to work together to make things compatible with XFire etc etc .. It's a BETA game and as such, will have bugs etc until SONY and AMD get things right .. and that takes time. This guy obviously doesn't want to hear that or listen to anybody who says the magic sentence - "Evidently it doesn't work correcty at this time, it's a BETA game in BETA development and as such, so are the drivers for it" .. .. so he has to be rude to people and then it's "us" attacking him ? I don't think so really.

My $0.02 ...

AM3 965BE / Corsair H70 / 4Gb Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair Force3 90Gb / x2 HD3870 Atomic Edition / x4 1Tb Storage & Momentus XT 250Gb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian-Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech KBoard & MX620 / Logitech C525 / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM

10/01/2012 10:00 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

fretboard....I wasn't basing my statement on any one person, but rather anyone that has or will be posting in this thread.  I am not being biased in any way / shape / form towards anyone, just stating plain fact....keep it civil or the thread will be locked.  This is our job, please understand.

Now, how bout them Cubs...eh?

Cheers!

Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

10/01/2012 08:09 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Slap a padlock on this thing and be done with it, as well as any thread between now and January 1st 2013 dealing with the game "Planetside 2"

10/11/2012 11:53 AM

Author Icon
Loui5D
Peon

I disagree with you OP, when my crossfire was running fine i had a performance increase of about 60%

i5-2500k @ 4.2GHz

RoG Maximus V Extreme

Asus DC2HD7950 TOP, Sapphire Vapor-x

850W OCZ

16gb vengeance mem

W7 64bit

Benq Xl2411T

10/25/2012 10:56 AM

Author Icon
Pine
Peon

So i have been messing around with my CrossfireX settings after the new updates. (12.11 Beta4/ 12.10 CAP 1)

I am having some success using "AFR friendly" instead of using the default settings or disabling CrossfireX. Though i should share my success with everybody, hopefully its helpful.

Some in-vehicle display flickering is the only real issue in-game i have noticed.

Other optimizations are still needed by both sides eventually but this works fine for now. Load scaling on the cards is a little off, but thats not really a big deal. (ie: GPU1 69% GPU2 60%)

Would also like to share that PS2 now has a 11-20-2012 release date!

11/03/2012 06:08 PM

Author Icon
JustKanji
n00b

I use AFR-Friendly too, but it bugs the speed bars on vehicles.

So please AMD, make a profile for this game. NVIDIA's SLI support for this game is already out. 

Edited: 11/03/2012 at 06:17 PM by JustKanji
 11/06/2012 11:36 AM

Author Icon
Pine
Peon

As of a recent patch (on the PS2 side). This fix no longer works. I recently noticed that my second card isnt being used anymore.

Its extremely frustrating. A CAP would be nice.

Anything really. I just want CrossfireX working properly for this game already

Im not sure who to be upset with.

I guess its fair to blame them both, for an obvious lack of communication.

The 20th is gettign closer. I have my fingers crosed that they will be prepared with proper support.

Statistics
85502 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.