Topic Title: Hardware or software acceleration
Topic Summary: Silverlight streaming
Created On: 10/19/2012 11:35 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/19/2012 11:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

My internet /cable provider is Time Warner. Recently they included the ability to watch cable tv channels on any computer that is connected to my wireless network. So now I can sit on the patio with my laptop and watch while I smoke a *cough* cigarette *cough*. These channels are streamed over Silverlight. As it turns out, I could watch the channel for about 30-45 seconds before it paused to BUFFERING. It buffered more than it displayed the channel. So...I disabled hardware acceleration (enabled software rendering,etc) and the buffering went away. Streams smooth as butter.

The purpose of this post is to answer all the 'engineers' and rocket scientists who complain that AMD should fix their drivers so they can use hardware acceleration all the time, everywhere, day or night. The ones who think they are missing something by not having it enabled. The ones who read this post > http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=161234&enterthread=y and still want to argue about it.

The laptop is a Acer Aspire 5750. It has a Intel processor with intergrated graphics. No dual graphics. No discrete grapics card. Just the intergrated HD3000 graphics chip. So...even that mighty gfx needs to use software rendering.... So before blaming your ATI card for not streaming your U-Tube without a hitch, or flash rendering is a issue..just remember that the ability to enable or disable hardware rendering is there for a purpose.

This issue with Silverlight was the same with all my computers using AMD HD6970, AMD Mobility 5730, and Intel Hd3000. It happened with I7 and I3 processors. It happened with IE 32&64 bit and Firefox 32&64 bit. My internet speed is 25mb down.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

10/19/2012 12:48 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

I would have used a different example since the one you gave sounds a lot like it actually was caused by a software problem.

Just about any recent desktop or laptop should have enough resources to handle hardware accelerated video decoding... if it can actually get to the hardware without being held up somewhere along the way.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

10/19/2012 01:00 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Mime I would have used a different example since the one you gave sounds a lot like it actually was caused by a software problem.

Just about any recent desktop or laptop should have enough resources to handle hardware accelerated video decoding... if it can actually get to the hardware without being held up somewhere along the way.

The example is what it is....namely, disabling hardware acceleration cures the problem. And thats all that matters.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

10/24/2012 01:42 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

I think I understand where stumped is coming from, and I would tend to agree.  The example fits in line with the phrase, "Choose your battles."

Regardles of who, what, why, where or how - disabling Hardware Acceleration solved the issue and stumped can now happily enjoy his *cough* cigarette *cough* on his patio while watching The Bachelorette.

Okay.. maybe not The Bachelorette.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

10/24/2012 05:12 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

I think the bachelorette fits. 

I probably should have added that I recently had the opposite experience with hardware acceleration.  I needed to turn it on in order to get smooth playback on my TF700 tablet with the microHDMI display connected.  Different platform... different resources.  In a tablet it might actually be a necessary feature... while in a PC it's just another widget that can cause you trouble.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

10/24/2012 05:27 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Emily is a poo-poo-head.

Edited: 10/24/2012 at 06:17 PM by AMD Support and Game Moderator
 10/24/2012 06:18 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Sorry, stumped. I edited your post to keep the language clean.

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

Statistics
86649 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.