Topic Title: Driver crashes @ start Black ops 2
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/19/2012 04:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/19/2012 04:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
witchhunting101
Peon

Good day sirs & madames,

I bought Call of Duty: Black ops2 about a week ago, and till my biggest irritation it hasnt started running yet.

I got it on steam.
Heres the problem: When i start up call of duty, my screen goes black, and everything hangs like a nutter, screen starts to flicker, and with allot of effort i get it back to my desktop and it has shut down. With the following error:"Display Driver AMD has stopped responding and has succesfully recovered.

And thus i went testing, trying to start it minimized with taskmanager up front, and great scott! it started! i heard the music & intro all the way till the main menu. 
But than i clicked the screen and the same thing happened again... a crash & blackscreen @ 3 seconds.

I suspect this would be my driver. Only problem is.... I'm running an:
Intell core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz,
Ati radeon HD 4870 x2
8GB Ram
Asus P6T Motherboard
Windows 7 ultimate x64.
According to the theories, i should be able to run this game. Tho no driver has been released for the 4000 series and below. 
COULD, this in fact be a problem with my videocard? Or is this a malfunction on treyarc & activisions end?
Should i buy a new videocard? I dont see why, seeing as the minimum requirements say the 3000 series should also be able to run this game. 

If anybody from AMD sees this, please inform me of something, i've been waiting a while now for a decent answer from anybody, and activision is giving me a pretty hard time providing them.

And last but not least!: I tried Every single thing availible on the net, upgrading my drivers, bios, windows & security stuff... even turning it off.
I look forward to your replies,

Kind regards,

Witch 

-------------------------

Intell core i7 920 @ 2.67 ghz
Ati radeon HD 4870 X2
8GB RAM
Windows 7 x64

11/19/2012 06:13 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

I have been playing BO2 since day one with no issues. Here are some threads that may help:

Steam:

• A crash may occur if no DLC is owned when joining on a player that is in the Nuketown 2025 lobby.
  • Having both an on-board audio device and a PCI sound card enabled at the same time may result in a crash.
  • A crash may occur if the user tries to run the game without an audio device installed.
  • Changing resolution while livestreaming may result in a crash.
  • When viewing a film as a party, users may get a crash if the party leader leaves while the film is buffering.
  • Loading Movies might not play if a user unplugs a USB audio output device after the game has launched.
  • Users may lose functionality after locking their PC while a loading movie is playing
  • A steam error may appear after selecting update when prompted with a “Game Settings Have Changed” message. Launching the game again will resolve this.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/202990/discussions/0/864951362244521402/

Sound settings seem to be a problem. Use the on-board sound and make sure it is set to either 44000hz or 48000hz. You might want to try playing with just one graphics card and see if that works. Google around and see if you can find modded drivers for your card...or mod them yourself http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

11/20/2012 02:38 PM

Author Icon
witchhunting101
Peon

I have tried All methods for my sound. Turning it off completely in device manager, turning USB headset on, by itself.
Turning realtek on, by itself.
Turning AMD audio on, by itself.
Turning them all on.
Turning them all off.

Nothing worked.

Thus i dont mean to be rude, but how is my sound affecting my graphcard driver? Seeing as people with newer graphcards have less problems, and especially AMD graphcard users (of 1 model back and older) tend to have issues atm. 
I dont know if the problem lies with activision exactly, or with my current Videocard, but i find it rather a shame to buy a new vid.card while this 1 still performs beyond my expectations.

Thank you for your helping hand, and please keep me posted if there is news.

Ati radeon HD 4870 X2
8GB RAM
Windows 7 x64

11/20/2012 02:49 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Sound cards have/will cause problems. Google it. That link is from Steam. The question still stands...have you tried playing with just ONE card? It doesn't take much to play BO2 > http://benchmark3d.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-2-benchmark . Do you have the latest CAP installed ? >

http://benchmark3d.com/catalyst-application-profiles-12-11-cap-1

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

11/20/2012 03:56 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Sounds like a driver bug to me. Often times, these problems don't happen until game + driver + something else all come together.  Figuring out the "something else" is the fun part.     Sometimes it's something you can fix, like checking or unchecking some setting in some control panel, or not running a certain program in the background while playing your game.  Other times, the "something else" is something deep and mysterious within the driver, or the game its self... and can't really be fixed without a patch.

The(in this case, unfortunate) reality, is the game, your video card, and that troublesome driver work together to create the images you see on your screen(or in this case, don't see).  If one goes out of whack it brings them all down.  That's one reason why, if you can't find the "something else", you might need to get a new card even though there's nothing actually wrong with it.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 11/20/2012 at 04:17 PM by Mime
 11/27/2012 11:56 AM

Author Icon
witchhunting101
Peon

Dear peeps, i got it to run. thank you for your assistance!

after allot, and when i say allot, i mean ALLOT of tries... i found out that my graphcard was busted. This due to a gray-brick-looking wall on my screen on trying to start blackops. I could play other games, but allot of other symptoms, like: fan speeding up to 100% when playing in fullscreen, made me realise my graphcard needed to be replaced.

Thus i got a asus radeon 7950HD 3GB V2top etc. etc. and now its working like a charm. first time bootup was 1 to remember.

Thank you all for your guidance.

Regards, Witch 

Ati radeon HD 4870 X2
8GB RAM
Windows 7 x64

Statistics
84348 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.