Topic Title: Assassins Creed 3
Topic Summary: One big thread full of badness...
Created On: 12/04/2012 12:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/04/2012 07:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
abohamed
Grinding Levels

Originally posted by: Mime I doubt it's that simple dude... really.  PC hardware is light years ahead of the consoles; we knew that already, so it's not a problem of resources.

I wouldn't be surprised if nvidia hardware did get more attention during development, but just that wouldn't have caused things to turn out like this.  We're talking about an application composed of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of lines of code.  In an app that big it's rare for there to be a problem... any problem... that has only one solution.

well .. if AMD guys can do this :

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=443&threadid=162606&enterthread=y

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1211betadriver.aspx

with Farcry 3 game .. then they can ( and should ) do this too for Assassins creed 3 game and in the matter of fact .. with any game too ... and btw iam sorry for double post but its important

-------------------------

Asus EAH 5770 CU core , Intel i7 3770 @ 3.90 GHz 8M Cache , GA P75-D3 , Corsair 8 GB DDR3 RAM , Cooler master extreme 500 W PSU , Win 8.1 64 bit enterprise

12/04/2012 07:26 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: abohamed
Originally posted by: Mime I doubt it's that simple dude... really.  PC hardware is light years ahead of the consoles; we knew that already, so it's not a problem of resources.

I wouldn't be surprised if nvidia hardware did get more attention during development, but just that wouldn't have caused things to turn out like this.  We're talking about an application composed of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of lines of code.  In an app that big it's rare for there to be a problem... any problem... that has only one solution.

well .. if AMD guys can do this :

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=443&threadid=162606&enterthread=y

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1211betadriver.aspx

with Farcry 3 game .. then they can ( and should ) do this too for Assassins creed 3 game and in the matter of fact .. with any game too ... and btw iam sorry for double post but its important

Ok...this game can cripple computers that are three times as powerful as yours. Turn the eye-candy down and live with it...nothing the game or AMD can do to allow your computer to play this game smoothly. You don't have the horsepower.

Recommended system requirements for Assassins creed III

Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
RAM: 4GB
Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950.
Graphics card memory: 1 GB
Sound card: DirectX compatibl sound card
Hard drive: 12 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

12/04/2012 07:53 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: abohamed

well .. if AMD guys can do this : http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=443&threadid=162606&enterthread=y   http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1211betadriver.aspx with Farcry 3 game .. then they can ( and should ) do this too for Assassins creed 3 game and in the matter of fact .. with any game too ... and btw iam sorry for double post but its important

Far Cry 3 is part of some marketing deal AMD has going on, so of course that's going to get priority over this... which looks to still be in the finger-pointing stages anyway.

I also take it that you haven't read any of the posts I made here recently where I talk about how things should be in a perfect world.  I would think it be obvious that AMD have some involvement even if it's just a few uncomfortable phone calls trying to figure out what the deal is.  My point was.... none of us know what's actually going on here.  Fixing it will happen when it happens.

This is why I've never worked a helpdesk.

Some people can tolerate things like this and actually be polite about it.  It's always made me want to shoot something... 

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 12/05/2012 at 04:37 PM by Mime
 12/04/2012 08:22 PM

Author Icon
abohamed
Grinding Levels

ok ok .. calm down guys .. iam sorry .. ok ?! .. we good ..

and btw with my rig i run call of duty black ops 2 on max with steady 35-40 .. and BF3 as well on max .. and do not ask me how but i did ... and iam proud of it ... and what i try to say here is AMD people is great and can do more than that .. i mean i have 3 years old ATI GPU ( HD5770 ) and its still kickin until now and THAT is a very good thing to me and i must thank AMD guys for it .. thats all

Asus EAH 5770 CU core , Intel i7 3770 @ 3.90 GHz 8M Cache , GA P75-D3 , Corsair 8 GB DDR3 RAM , Cooler master extreme 500 W PSU , Win 8.1 64 bit enterprise

Edited: 12/04/2012 at 08:31 PM by abohamed
 12/04/2012 08:28 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

You don't need to be sorry.  This all falls under the "general ranting" I mentioned when opening the thread.  There tends to be a lot of that when things go wrong. 

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

12/04/2012 08:32 PM

Author Icon
abohamed
Grinding Levels

LOL

12/04/2012 08:49 PM

Author Icon
knox.johm
Peon

Originally posted by: Mime You don't need to be sorry.  This all falls under the "general ranting" I mentioned when opening the thread.  There tends to be a lot of that when things go wrong. 

So, Mime, my thread got deleted (i don't know why) without a warning or an explanation.

The thread was about this AC III issue + my explorer.exe crashing every min.

Since this forum is a mess (just like the e-mail support) i'm gonna post in this thread hoping I get your attention.

Where should I look for assistance to help me with my problems? Looks like there is no good place on AMD for that. Maybe Phone Call...?

12/04/2012 09:01 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

It looks like all your other posts got merged into this one... Unforunately Fusetalk lists posts in the order they were merged, instead of the order they were posted.  Fusetalk would not be the forum software of my choice either... but again... they don't let me anywhere near the backend.

I'm not sure there's really anything we can do at this point.  The game is weird and buggy... and regardless of who put the bugs there... it's not going to be us taking them out.  Bugging people on the phone never hurts though, if you feel like doing the squeaky wheel routine.

Troll Hunter

Edited: 12/04/2012 at 09:07 PM by Mime
 12/04/2012 09:23 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: abohamed ok ok .. calm down guys .. iam sorry .. ok ?! .. we good ..

and btw with my rig i run call of duty black ops 2 on max with steady 35-40 .. and BF3 as well on max .. and do not ask me how but i did ... and iam proud of it ... and what i try to say here is AMD people is great and can do more than that .. i mean i have 3 years old ATI GPU ( HD5770 ) and its still kickin until now and THAT is a very good thing to me and i must thank AMD guys for it .. thats all

Black ops can be played on a Ipad (symbolism)...there is more to playing a pc game than the graphics card. You can post and pester all you want, but nothing is going to help you with this game with the computer you have. Come back a month from now and prove me wrong.

QUOTE:

Since it’s a DirectX 11 game, Black Ops 2 won’t be needing a powerful CPU. Based on the requirements, the game will run fine with an Intel Core2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHz or AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHz. As long as your CPU has two cores (Black Ops 2 won’t start on single core CPUs) it will run the game.

CPU usage is extremely low and even with just two cores enabled on the i5 2500k there is absolutely no bottleneck, no frame drops or anything along these lines.

QUOTE:

AMD Catalyst Drivers Comparison

Using different drivers won’t change a thing while playing Assassins Creed 3. As long as the threading optimizations remains the same, display drivers can’t improve performance.

CPU and Cores Comparison

Even though the engine was updated to support DirectX 11 features that should reduce CPU usage and improve general performance, it’s not really the case. The previous Assassins Creed title (Revelations) has the exact same issues as the latest one. Having a lot of NPCs (Non Player Characters) requires calculations for the AI that are done by the CPU, this increases the CPU needs of the game and pretty much cancels the lower CPU usage achieved by using the DirectX 11 API.

The CPU / GPU Usage Table doesn’t tell the whole story. In NPC infested areas, the GPU usage can go down to about 85%, even with the 2500k OC’ed to 4.5 Ghz and with the full number of cores enabled. That’s because the game doesn’t utilize the CPU properly, you’ll see what I mean in a second.

AGAIN: Recommended system requirements for Assassins creed III

Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
RAM: 4GB
Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950.
Graphics card memory: 1 GB
Sound card: DirectX compatibl sound card
Hard drive: 12 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

COMPARED TO YOUR COMPUTER:

1. ASUS HD5770 1gb

2. win 7 64bit

3. intel core 2 due E7300 @ 2.66 cash 3mb

4. cooler and master 500W

5. DDR2  6gb

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Edited: 12/04/2012 at 09:34 PM by stumped
 12/04/2012 09:44 PM

Author Icon
abohamed
Grinding Levels

Originally posted by: stumped
Originally posted by: abohamed ok ok .. calm down guys .. iam sorry .. ok ?! .. we good ..

Black ops can be played on a Ipad (symbolism)...there is more to playing a pc game than the graphics card. You can post and pester all you want, but nothing is going to help you with this game with the computer you have. Come back a month from now and prove me wrong.

QUOTE:

Since it’s a DirectX 11 game, Black Ops 2 won’t be needing a powerful CPU. Based on the requirements, the game will run fine with an Intel Core2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHz or AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHz. As long as your CPU has two cores (Black Ops 2 won’t start on single core CPUs) it will run the game.

CPU usage is extremely low and even with just two cores enabled on the i5 2500k there is absolutely no bottleneck, no frame drops or anything along these lines.

QUOTE:

Using different drivers won’t change a thing while playing Assassins Creed 3. As long as the threading optimizations remains the same, display drivers can’t improve performance.

CPU and Cores Comparison

Even though the engine was updated to support DirectX 11 features that should reduce CPU usage and improve general performance, it’s not really the case. The previous Assassins Creed title (Revelations) has the exact same issues as the latest one. Having a lot of NPCs (Non Player Characters) requires calculations for the AI that are done by the CPU, this increases the CPU needs of the game and pretty much cancels the lower CPU usage achieved by using the DirectX 11 API.

The CPU / GPU Usage Table doesn’t tell the whole story. In NPC infested areas, the GPU usage can go down to about 85%, even with the 2500k OC’ed to 4.5 Ghz and with the full number of cores enabled. That’s because the game doesn’t utilize the CPU properly, you’ll see what I mean in a second.

AGAIN: Recommended system requirements for Assassins creed III OS: Windows 7 64-bit Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU RAM: 4GB Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950. Graphics card memory: 1 GB Sound card: DirectX compatibl sound card Hard drive: 12 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

COMPARED TO YOUR COMPUTER:

1. ASUS HD5770 1gb

2. win 7 64bit

3. intel core 2 due E7300 @ 2.66 cash 3mb

4. cooler and master 500W

5. DDR2  6gb

thanks ... then i just have to wait for 8xxx series to come out

cheers up guys ..... i know the game is running so bad with you guys too .. but it dose not need to be so mad of it ..

12/05/2012 01:21 AM

Author Icon
abohamed
Grinding Levels

HOW ON EARTH ?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvkgnFbC2tM

http://www.hwcompare.com/7160/geforce-gt-430-1gb-vs-radeon-hd-5770/

LOL

Edited: 12/05/2012 at 02:50 AM by abohamed
 12/05/2012 06:18 AM

Author Icon
RatsAss
Farming Materials

The game runs choppy for me also. So,I decided to play other games until this issue gets fixed.

Why get all bent out of shape over something I cannot fix.

Patience people. It will be done.

Gaming Rig
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3 F7 bios
i7- 2600k ,Cooler Master V6GT
2x4 gig G-Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1333
Asus GTX 680
Corsair TX 850W PSU
Creative X-FI Titanium Champion, Logitech Z-5500
Win 7 x64 Ultimate(SP1), Antec DF-85 case.

12/05/2012 07:09 AM

Author Icon
abohamed
Grinding Levels

Originally posted by: RatsAss The game runs choppy for me also. So,I decided to play other games until this issue gets fixed.

Why get all bent out of shape over something I cannot fix.

Patience people. It will be done.

man i hope you are right ........

12/05/2012 10:04 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Well, i have a quite weak computer, people complaining usually have much better. Still, I could play it from beginning to end without serious issues. Sure, it was set to high, not very high, but it looked okay. Sure, I had 35-40 fps, not 60, but it was okay and playable. People just complain too much. (Which of course doesn't mean the developers shouldn't improve the situation, but it's not like the game is unplayable.)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

12/05/2012 02:56 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

The game doesn't work at all for me, though I very much doubt it has anything to do with AMD.  It crashes when starting a new game after the retrospective video finishes playing.

I'd take poor performance over not working at all any day.

12/05/2012 03:31 PM

Author Icon
Cooketh
Buffed

I just don't get this.

Ubisoft needs to work on PC quality control. It's one thing for it have the usual consolitis, but this is a $60 game that honestly can't run. It's nigh unplayable.

Specs: Intel Core i7 950 Socket 1366 CPU 3.1Ghz - Asus P6T V2 Deluxe Mobo - Thermaltake Toughpower XT Gold 875W - 18 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 / Corsair Vengeance 1600- 2x ATi HD 6870 GDDR5 1GB VRam CrossfireX Mode - Dell ST2310 23inch LCD Monitor @ 1920x1080p via HDMI - Corsair Force2 F120 SSD 120GB (500mb/s read/write) - Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium

12/05/2012 03:36 PM

Author Icon
daniellange
Peon

Hokai, so I wrote to Ubisoft Support:

Hi, As you're probably aware of the issue already, the FPS on AC3 is... Quite horrible... People found that the game isn't optimized for quad-core++ processors, and therefor not utilizing the performance of the CPU correctly.

There's an 80 page thread in the Ubisoft forum with low performance related issues, and there's a thread over at the AMD forums stating this:

"The Good:

Works the same on both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Above average graphics, especially on characters.

Good controls.

Visual difference between low and high settings are minimal while still having a big performance improvement.

The Bad:

Poor CPU/threading optimization which leads to CPU bottlenecks.

In-game Anti-Aliasing cripples performance.

Low amount of IQ settings.

Graphical artifacts.

Character popping.

Other missions related bugs.

CPU and Cores Comparison

Using different drivers won’t change a thing while playing Assassins Creed 3. As long as the threading optimizations remains the same, display drivers can’t improve performance."

- http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=443&threadid=162336&enterthread=y

Surely I believe you've noticed the 80 page thread, but if not:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/727804-Low-fps-in-some-locations-probably-found-a-reason

My system specs:

Windows 7 pro - 64-bit

Dual AMD Radeon HD 6970

AMD FX-8150 overclocked to 4.6 Ghz

16 GB DDR3 memory @ 1600 Mhz

Creative SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro

With my system specs I'm getting around 25 FPS average with crossfire enabled,

My AMD cards are only using about 30% of their capacity.

My CPU however isn't exactly reflecting the stuff written in the AMD forum.

Six out of Eight cores seem to be running active at around 70-90% of their capacity, but two cores seem to be inactive the whole time.

When using only one card, I seem to have a general FPS is around 30 or so.

My GPU is only about 60% active, and my CPU is running around 70% over six out of eight cores.

So, is there gonna be anything fixing our performance issue?

Or is the answer gonna be: Get a more powerful system?.

We've all been fondling around in the blind here, and we sorely need some answers..

My suggestion, like many others, would be to give us more control over the graphical settings..

Level of detail/Draw distance slider, NPC limiter, Tessellation on/off, HBAO on/off, Detailed tree limiter, water quality, water reflection..

A little more control over our graphical features.

Sadly, we all want to have the best experience with AC3 as physically possible, but unless the game is better optimized or something, we won't be able to play it how you want us to enjoy it.

12/05/2012 04:41 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: Thanny The game doesn't work at all for me, though I very much doubt it has anything to do with AMD.  It crashes when starting a new game after the retrospective video finishes playing.

I'd take poor performance over not working at all any day.

The same sort of thing happened to me when I bought Portal 2.  A few minutes after starting the game it would stop receiving input from the keyboard.  Probably a minor bug in comparison... but with the same effect.

Fortunately part of my desktop died a short while after that, and the game worked fine after I canabalized the HTPC and rebuilt it. 

Troll Hunter

12/05/2012 07:14 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Spambot failure

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 12/05/2012 10:37 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: black_zion Spambot failure

Member failure. 

Those are even more embarassing....  I mean, I imagine.  I, uhm, I imagine...

Troll Hunter

AMD Support and Game » Games and Applications Help » Assassins Creed 3

<< 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
84245 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.