Topic Title: HD7970 Crossfire and farcry 3
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/06/2012 05:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/06/2012 05:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rayhvh
Peon

Hello. ive got an club3d. royal king HD7970 in crossfire.

and my far cry 3 performance is horrible. im using the lastest beta drivers and profile cap. 

ive got the game legal and original.

this is an video of what happens :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inUsXEM2Tms

im playing on 2560x1440. and its so bad. i want it fixed.isgust;

please help me out.. 

12/06/2012 06:34 AM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

There are and always will be microstutter issues in two gpu crossfire systems. Although, did you try it with one gpu? Same issue? From what I've read in the past, trifire scales a lot better than crossfire and has no microstutter issues.

-------------------------
Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 12/06/2012 08:17 AM

Author Icon
rayhvh
Peon

then whats the point of getting crossfire. if its making it worse 100% more.

look at the video

12/06/2012 10:04 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: rayhvh then whats the point of getting crossfire. if its making it worse 100% more.

look at the video

Yes..,what is the point? I am playing the game in Ultra settings with one graphics card and it runs smooth as butter. The whole idea is to play the game. Yeah, go buy another one..or two. And while your at it, go buy a Corvette to take the kids to school. That will impress people.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

***** cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus ******

12/06/2012 12:22 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: rayhvh then whats the point of getting crossfire. if its making it worse 100% more.

P(C) = (B + K)/C

Let P(C) be the probability that the given item will be purchased; C, the cost of the given item; B, the importance of bragging rights such that 0 < B < C/2; and K, a constant such that 0 < K < C/2 representing the current amount of foreknowledge that the given item will produce a quantifiable benefit to the performance of the machine while performing a certain task.

Clearly, the equation does not account for items that may be free of cost. For all other items if B and K are small for large values of C, then the given item has a very low probability of being purchased. Large values of B can often return a very high probability of the item being purchased regardless of the value of C. However, the value of constant K can often dramatically alter the behavior observed in this type of situation. If B is small and K is large, then the probability of the item being purchased can also be very high. While this is the same outcome as seen previously these two paths to reaching it are nearly diametrically opposed.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

12/06/2012 04:07 PM

Author Icon
rayhvh
Peon

So. you dont want to help me out?

instead you are youre talking to me like i did something wrong.?

12/06/2012 04:31 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

No... you didn't do anything wrong.  My post above is an example of what can happen to your brain when it's been force-fed too much discrete math. 

The point of Crossfire and SLI is to get you to buy another video card.  There are things you can do to lessen the chance of stuttering, but it's a problem inherent in multiGPU configurations.  Sometimes you can reduce it to where it's no longer noticable... sometimes not.  Power saving features don't tend to play nice with it, nor does running cards in PCIe slots of different speeds.  Pretty much anything that can lead to one card becoming out of sync with another should be avoided.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 12/06/2012 at 04:37 PM by Mime
 12/06/2012 05:16 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Crossfire is a lot like RAID, there are benefits but there are also drawbacks. With today's graphics power, at 1920x1200 and below, cards such as the 2GB HD 7970 (and its nVidia counterpart) have plenty of power*. For Eyefinity setups though, you still need multiple GPUs, but that is a niche market. And yes, I run a Crossfire setup and between the very noisy cooler and non linear scaling, both things which will happen with all dual GPU cards, and will happen with any Crossfire setup because with discrete cards there are two coolers whirring away, the top card usually being starved for air.

If you think about it too, it's a lot like 6 and 8 core CPUs (outside the server market), very very few non professional programs use more than 2 cores efficiently and fewer use more than 4 at all, which is why per-core speed trumps core count.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 12/06/2012 05:50 PM

Author Icon
Johnny_Rook
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped
Originally posted by: rayhvh then whats the point of getting crossfire. if its making it worse 100% more

Yes..,what is the point? I am playing the game in Ultra settings with one graphics card and it runs smooth as butter. The whole idea is to play the game. Yeah, go buy another one..or two. And while your at it, go buy a Corvette to take the kids to school. That will impress people.

I would very very much like to see you gents playing FarCry 3 ULTRA settings @1080p under TriDef S-3D drivers or Eyefinty with a single card, no matter which one!

Originally posted by: black_zion Crossfire is a lot like RAID, there are benefits but there are also drawbacks. With today's graphics power, at 1920x1200 and below, cards such as the 2GB HD 7970 (and its nVidia counterpart) have plenty of power*. For Eyefinity setups though, you still need multiple GPUs, but that is a niche market. And yes, I run a Crossfire setup and between the very noisy cooler and non linear scaling, both things which will happen with all dual GPU cards, and will happen with any Crossfire setup because with discrete cards there are two coolers whirring away, the top card usually being starved for air. If you think about it too, it's a lot like 6 and 8 core CPUs (outside the server market), very very few non professional programs use more than 2 cores efficiently and fewer use more than 4 at all, which is why per-core speed trumps core count.

I'm considering a single GPU too but, the problem is that I (like you) have a HD 5970 benching X3079 in 3DMark11 and the alternative is a +400€ HD7970 that has about same performance. Would you change between those cards just to get rid of noticeable micro-stutter in a couple of your games (Metro 2033 and FarCry 3)? I would not! Not at this moment in time. Maybe when the new architecture arrives and if it delivers 30% more performance than HD7970, maybe then, only then I upgrade.

Gigabyte X58A-UD7
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz
Sapphire HD5970 2Gb
Colorful GTS250 1Gb (PhysX)
3x2Gb Corsair DDR3 Tri-Channel
2xWD Caviar Blue 500Gb RAID0
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
ASUS VH226H
Corsair TX750W
Watercooled by EK

Edited: 12/06/2012 at 05:59 PM by AMD Support and Game Moderator
 12/06/2012 06:12 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: Johnny_Rook

I would very very much like to see you gents playing FarCry 3 ULTRA settings @1080p under TriDef S-3D drivers or Eyefinty with a single card, no matter which one!

You might not get a steady 60 frames per second, but I'm thinkin it wouldn't be a slide-show either.  I understand not being satisfied with that after having spent the time and money to build a machine like this, but still... there's more computational power in a single high end video card these days than I think most people realize.

Don't get me started about 3DMark... I'll start talking about large values of B again. 

Troll Hunter

12/06/2012 10:07 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: stumped
Originally posted by: rayhvh then whats the point of getting crossfire. if its making it worse 100% more

Hey....where did the Eyefinity come from....has nothing to do with this post at all. The OP has a single monitor. I play this stupid game @ 1920x1200 with all game settings on Ultra (except post processing) and it runs great. If you want to post your questions...do so, but not in another user's thread, that has nothing to do with your set up. By a Corvette.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

12/06/2012 10:53 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

3DMark...There is only one good thing about 3DMark, and that is to be a good "realistic" overclock stability tester. And as far as the HD 5970 goes, it has 4640 GFLOPS of single precision computing power, the 7970 GHz edition has 4300. Now, overclock the 5970 to 5870 speeds and you get 5440 Gflops. Sounds great on paper doesn't it? Except multiple GPU systems in games there is no such thing as 100% scaling, 90% is rare, somewhere in the 80% range is typical, and there's always the possibilities of 0% or even negative scaling if the game isn't coded for it (which AMD will usually hardblock Crossfire in a CAP release). The HD 5970 is a great card, I'm going to use mine until it burns out or blows a capacitor, which being a Sapphire might not be until DirectX 14 cards, but a single GPU is always better than two GPUs with equal or slightly greater on paper power.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 12/07/2012 01:31 AM

Author Icon
Max9R
Grinding Levels

I see the link to toms review telling people how bad micro stutter is quite a bit (in a lot of forums), so here's a recent one where they tell you how good Radeon Pro is at eliminating it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devil13-7970-x2,3329-11.html

So... if you're having micro stutter issues get Radeon Pro. I find it quick and easy to setup a profile and after that is smooth sailing.

http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/Downloads/Preview.aspx

I can't believe AMD hasn't built something like this into their own drivers yet, maybe they should hire the guy that wrote it.  It's almost magical... hehe... 

W7 Ultimate x64: Corsair 800D, AX1200
EX58A-UD5, i7 970 @ 4.5Ghz
16GB RipJaws @ 1600
3x XFX BE 7970 Tri-Fire @ 1200/1600
OCZ V3 120GB + WD 2TB Black
Creative X-Fi Titanium
Dell U3011 + WFP2407
Koolance 370 & EK GPU Water Blocks

12/07/2012 01:35 AM

Author Icon
rayhvh
Peon

Originally posted by: Max9R I see the link to toms review telling people how bad micro stutter is quite a bit (in a lot of forums), so here's a recent one where they tell you how good Radeon Pro is at eliminating it.

So... if you're having micro stutter issues get Radeon Pro. I find it quick and easy to setup a profile and after that is smooth sailing.

I can't believe AMD hasn't built something like this into their own drivers yet, maybe they should hire the guy that wrote it.  It's almost magical... hehe... 

tanks thats usefull!

12/08/2012 03:39 AM

Author Icon
Johnny_Rook
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped Hey....where did the Eyefinity come from....has nothing to do with this post at all. The OP has a single monitor. I play this stupid game @ 1920x1200 with all game settings on Ultra (except post processing) and it runs great. If you want to post your questions...do so, but not in another user's thread, that has nothing to do with your set up. By a Corvette.

?????

Have you read the thread at all? Or you just don't remember your own sentences?

It was asked "what's the point on getting Crossfire?"

My answer to you was and still is "Eyefinity and stereoscopic 3D". I just can't play FarCry 3 in Eyefinity @ULTRA with a single-GPU card and decente framerates.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics_performance_review_benchmark,1.html

Originally posted by: Mime Don't get me started about 3DMark... I'll start talking about large values of B again.

Originally posted by: black_zion 3DMark...There is only one good thing about 3DMark, and that is to be a good "realistic" overclock stability tester.

WTF

The 3DMark scores was just to enphaticize the fact that HD5970 has about same performance has HD7970

Get off my back dudes!

Originally posted by: black_zion And as far as the HD 5970 goes, it has 4640 GFLOPS of single precision computing power, the 7970 GHz edition has 4300. Now, overclock the 5970 to 5870 speeds and you get 5440 Gflops. Sounds great on paper doesn't it? Except multiple GPU systems in games there is no such thing as 100% scaling, 90% is rare, somewhere in the 80% range is typical, and there's always the possibilities of 0% or even negative scaling if the game isn't coded for it (which AMD will usually hardblock Crossfire in a CAP release). The HD 5970 is a great card, I'm going to use mine until it burns out or blows a capacitor, which being a Sapphire might not be until DirectX 14 cards, but a single GPU is always better than two GPUs with equal or slightly greater on paper power.

I think I know my own card, thank you very much.

Tell me something new.

Originally posted by: Max9R I see the link to toms review telling people how bad micro stutter is quite a bit (in a lot of forums), so here's a recent one where they tell you how good Radeon Pro is at eliminating it.

I can't believe AMD hasn't built something like this into their own drivers yet, maybe they should hire the guy that wrote it. It's almost magical... hehe...

I use Radeon Pro since it was first released (from RC times). Unfortunatelly, it isn't eliminating micro-sttuter in FarCry 3 completely. It has some positive impact, indeed but, also has the CCC custom profile I set to FarCry 3

I do not doubt it can solve the problem to you but, then again, a "triple-GPU" config. has less micro-stutter issues than dual-GPU from the get go.

So far, the best solution to me is to disable crossfire all together but having to cut down the graphics quality to High or Very High

Gigabyte X58A-UD7
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz
Sapphire HD5970 2Gb
Colorful GTS250 1Gb (PhysX)
3x2Gb Corsair DDR3 Tri-Channel
2xWD Caviar Blue 500Gb RAID0
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
ASUS VH226H
Corsair TX750W
Watercooled by EK

Edited: 12/08/2012 at 03:58 AM by Johnny_Rook
 12/08/2012 04:02 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: stumped Hey....where did the Eyefinity come from....has nothing to do with this post at all. The OP has a single monitor. I play this stupid game @ 1920x1200 with all game settings on Ultra (except post processing) and it runs great. If you want to post your questions...do so, but not in another user's thread, that has nothing to do with your set up. By a Corvette.

?????

Have you read the thread at all? Or you just don't remember your own sentences?

It was asked "what's the point on getting Crossfire?"

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics_performance_review_benchmark,1.html

You are really something. Concentrate:

This is the original post. Read it again.

""

Hello. ive got an club3d. royal king HD7970 in crossfire.

and my far cry 3 performance is horrible. im using the lastest beta drivers and profile cap. 

ive got the game legal and original.

this is an video of what happens :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inUsXEM2Tms

im playing on 2560x1440. and its so bad. i want it fixed.isgust;

please help me out.. ""

and "" then whats the point of getting crossfire. if its making it worse 100% more.""

""look at the video""

You butted in with your multimonitor thing. Nobody was talking to you or about  eyefinity. As I said , start your on thread and quit hijacking others. Monitors should end this straight away.

12/08/2012 06:22 AM

Author Icon
RatsAss
Farming Materials

I decided to go the single card route after many years of crossfire.

This game and a few newer ones helped with the decision. Too much microstutter.Bad performance. Screaming fans.

I also decided to try the "Other guys" this time around after using ATI for years.

Out with the 5870's and in with a GTX680.

Me likes. NO stutter and butter smooth play.And no noise.

I still have my AMD rig at work.I havent totaly defected to the other side.

edit; For what its worth Far cry 3 is great. The fps drops a bit when your up on a high hill or tower. But usually @ 60 with vsync.

Gaming Rig
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3 F7 bios
i7- 2600k ,Cooler Master V6GT
2x4 gig G-Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1333
Asus GTX 680
Corsair TX 850W PSU
Creative X-FI Titanium Champion, Logitech Z-5500
Win 7 x64 Ultimate(SP1), Antec DF-85 case.

Edited: 12/08/2012 at 02:03 PM by RatsAss
Statistics
88898 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.