Topic Title: Dungeons & Dragons online - crash/freeze/black screen.
Topic Summary: Seems like Windows is continually resetting the GPU stack due to timeouts.
Created On: 12/24/2012 12:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/24/2012 12:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
OlegIronsides
Peon

Hi folks,

I'm new here. I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything relevant, so appologies if I missed it.

I’ve been playing Dungeons & Dragons Online for the last couple of years, graphics set to max, on the same H/W & S/W with no problems whatsoever. After their last update mid December, I started to get random crashes/freezes. I tried some stuff to fix it, nothing helped.  They added a patch last week & I couldn’t even log in any more. Typical symptoms: I’d get to the character selection screen. I’d see all of the 2D objects, but not the 3D character in the middle. My screen would start to flicker/go black, & the mouse was frozen. The screen would reset every 2s or so. Everything pointed to Windows continually resetting the GPU stack due to timeout errors. From what I see on their forums, there are some other  folks seeing this (mainly those with high-end systems) but not many. Tbh, I'm pretty sure it's a problem their end. I logged a support ticket with them but no repy yet. I'm just hoping someone here may have some ideas.

I've spent 4 days trying most things - clean installs of app, CCC, bios update, windows updates, chkdsk, defrag, etc, etc). The only things I haven't tried yet are a clean install of Windows & changing my graphics card. Since I'm not having any problems with other apps (inc high quality 2D & 3D renders in TurboCAD Professional), I'm reluctant to do this unless it proves necessary.

Graphics Card
ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2, standard settings (no overclocking)

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
2.6, clean install

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1 build 7601). No other O/S tested.

Issue Details
As above, random crash/freeze/black screen/PC reboot, as if Win is continually resetting the GPU stack due to a timeout. One of the earlier suggestions on the DDO forums was to set all graphics settings to low. This made it worse. The most stable I’ve had was when everything (resolution, AA, AF, etc) was set to max. However it worked this morning for a few hours, but now it doesn’t work (again) with exactly the same settings.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
ASUS Rampage Extreme II

Power Supply
Cooler Master Silent Pro 800W Gold

http://www.coolermaster.fr/product.php?product_id=6637

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
Dell U2410, direct HDMI connection

Applications and Games
Dungeons & Dragons online is the only app I have which has this problem.

TurboCAD Professional 19 & Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 work without any problem.

CPU Details

Intel i7 X990, 3.47GHz, 6 core (no overclocking)

Motherboard BIOS Version
ASUS BIOS 1914

System Memory Type & Amount
12Gb Corsair DDR3

Additional Hardware
240Gb Corsair Force GT SSD as boot drive

600Gb WD Velociraptor as data drive

Additional Details
Clean install of all relevant bits. All driver & Windows patches up to date. BIOS up to date. Chkdsk (full scan) no errors. HDs defragged. Registry cleaned (AVG PC Tuneup). Up to date Norton 360.

Statistics
88932 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.