Topic Title: Windows 8 Netflix Metro UI App Broken with
Topic Summary: Windows 8 Update ATI driver & AMD's latest website driver break Netflix
Created On: 01/29/2013 01:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/29/2013 01:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
preiner
Peon

PLEASE NOTE: NETFLIX Metro UI App breaks. Desktop mode Netflix works fine.

I have tried this 3 separate times, and it repros 100%.  Clean install of Windows 8 x64 with ATI Radeon HD 6670.  Install Netflix app from Windows 8 store. Works perfect.

Now I download the ATI driver update from Windows Update and Netflix Metro UI App will error out with incompatible video driver error.  Now I revert driver, and it works fine.

Goto AMD site and download latest full catlyst suite for 6670 again - Netflix fails.  Revert back to original Windows 8 driver and it works.

The only version that works is dated 6/19/2012  (v8.97.10.6) and is labelled IN DEVICE MANAGER as AMD Radeon HD 6670 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.20).  If you enable automatic windows updates (which is default) for clean install OR Win 7 upgrade, you will get a bad driver.  Strongly suggest that you disable automatic install of updates at installation time, allow windows update to download (but not install) updates and then HIDE the bad update. You may then re-enable windows updates and proceed. 

Lastly, I have noticed that these last builds also crash Windows 8 desktop spordically and cause video driver to recover in endless cycle with a corresponding error message in the system trayIs anyone else seeing this? My machine was 100% stable under Win 7. Immediately upon uprade to Win 8, I experience this instability. 

-------------------------

Edited: 01/30/2013 at 10:19 AM by AMD Support and Game Moderator
 01/30/2013 10:20 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

The "Block-O-Text" that your post was, was impossible to read through.  I cleaned it up for you.  I added a few periods, and seperated out the main points by adding some line-spacing.

Hopefully, your fellow forum members will now be more interested to read through your problem.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

02/09/2014 12:34 PM

Author Icon
scottland
Peon

Preiner-

I have the same video card as well (ATI Radeon HD 6670). I also have a 64 bit system but I am running windows 8.1 ... I am looking for answers as well.

You seem to be having a little bit better luck than me however. I cannot get either the Netflix desktop application working nor the Netflix Metro App to work with these drivers.

When I run either one of them I get a load up of the show and then when it reaches 100% the screen turns to "snow" (snow as in like the old analog TV sets that do not pick up a signal). This snow lasts for about 2 seconds and then the screen goes completely black. Audio still plays though. The only way to recover to my desktop is to close the app or browser down.

I have tried resolving it by running it through different browsers, reinstalling flash, silverlight etc.

To even get it close to functioning...

To get Netflix to play I had to disable the video driver in the device manager. Then it will play. So whatever default driver it reverts to (when I disable it)works but at the sacrifice of my screen resolution and some once in a while artifiacts in my screen. (Not happy about this).

I have tried downloading the old legacy driver and the new generic beta driver. I have not had any luck with either one of these.

My iTunes video playback is suffering as well since all of this.

Have you found any luck in resolving this Netflix issue?

06/14/2014 04:03 AM

Author Icon
ITWebGuy
Peon

I too am plauged by latest drivers and win 8.1.1 Modern App (Metro App) issues.

Netflix app will load to main screen when play vidoes using moder app, it crashes to desktop. On browser it videos play in non full screen, when i maximize video on browser, it crashes with a netflix error that NF has not clue how to fix. And I have searched this error to no avail, H7361-1255-C00D717F

In, Internet Explorer, I can maximize the browser , but not the video player or it will crash. I can then hit F11 for full screen mode and that works with out any errors. This is not an issue running Fire Fox, so I would look into ati drivers working with Silverlight and IE.

Here is my Stuff w error logs:

Graphics Card
Sapphire Radeon R9 290X running at stock speeds when running Modern Apps (Metro Apps)

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History

Currently 14.6, previously used 14.4 and 13.2. ß This version everything runs fine.

Operating System

Windows 8.1.1 x64

Issue Details
Use any Radeon card from HD 7xxx series and above and install any Catalyst driver after 13.2. ModernThe issue is that about 95% of Modern Apps {Metro Apps) will open, appear to load and crashes to desktop. But the app is still running in memory. On 8.1.1 crashes and minimizes to desktop, you can click on app again to maximize, it starts to loads and crashes to desktop. Only Modern App that has worked day one (since 8.0) is Zombie HQ. please look at event log and problem report logs on bottom.

Games run good. No issues there, runs fast and 3D gaming is good too, can hit max of 60 fps

Motherboard or System Make & Model
Asus Maximus Formula 6 Z87 Chipset

Power Supply

Corsair TX850M

http://www.corsair.com/en/tx-series-modular-tx850m-80-plus-bronze-certified-850-watt-high-performance-modular-power-supply

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
Samsung series 6 3D LED smart TV 1080p ,  HDMI 1.4 cable. Blue ray / DVDRW

Applications and Games
with issues.

Xbox video, Netflix, 98 percent of games downloaded via windows store app. On catalyst version 13.2 I do not get this issue.

On 8.1.1 Modern Apps crash and minimizes to desktop, you can click on app again to maximize from the task bar, it starts to loads and crashes to desktop at this point I right click on task and close. Only Modern App that has worked day one (since 8.0) is Zombie HQ. go figure lol

I am always using the latest versions of modern apps, I have removed apps using powershell, cleared cache, wsreset, synced licences…

CPU Details - I7 4770K, 4 cores, running at 3.5 - 4.2 turbo, using stock voltages and BLCK,

Motherboard BIOS Version
-ASUS BIOS 1402

System Memory Type & Amount
- 16GB Corsair Dominator platinum 2.66 GHz @ 1.65 V

Additional Hardware
 Segate Hybrid 8GB SSD + 1 TB 64MB Cache no case fans,  no other regular PCIE cards. There is one dedicated PCIE for WLAN card that comes with the motherboard.

Additional Details
- System us up to date, ran SFC scans.Defender plus Hitman Pro scans come up clean.

Used Asus PC diags to stress test all components and all core components are well within tolerances. System motherboard has a mem test built in to motherboard and that checks out good even at 2666 MHz @ 1.65V.

Here are event log errors. Problem reporting has been sent via problem reporting since 8.1

Please note the faulty module name on these.

Here are some event log error reports:

Event Logs:

Faulting application name: mfpmp.exe, version: 12.0.9600.17090, time stamp: 0x534132ae

Faulting module name: atidxx64.dll, version: 8.17.10.560, time stamp: 0x537ea1cf

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000006f403

Faulting process id: 0x125c

Faulting application start time: 0x01cf8783f1ed17cc

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\mfpmp.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\atidxx64.dll

Report Id: 34b803bf-f377-11e3-82a3-54271e32d2cb

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Problem Report log Details:

This one was listed under:  Media Foundation Protected Pipeline.exe.

Description

Faulting Application Path:              C:\Windows\System32\mfpmp.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name:                      APPCRASH

Application Name:                           mfpmp.exe

Application Version:                         12.0.9600.17090

Application Timestamp:                   534132ae

Fault Module Name:                        atidxx64.dll

Fault Module Version:                      8.17.10.560

Fault Module Timestamp:                537ea1cf

Exception Code:                                c0000005

Exception Offset:                              000000000006f403

OS Version:                                        6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID:                                           1033

Additional Information 1:                bd09

Additional Information 2:                bd09bdefd34ff93b2e957063ed05270a

Additional Information 3:                318d

Additional Information 4:                318d4f5092906ab01e8589b2e9ca3d08

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID:                                          91384c6d0c4ab9a09aad68ff92a48d84 (85931845987)

06/14/2014 08:01 AM

Author Icon
backFireX64
Elite

Strongly suggest that you disable automatic install of updates at installation time

That's a very good advice.

See here

Also, try previous driver packages from AMD

gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev.2, core i7 975 3.9ghz (stock voltage), windows 8.1 64-bit, corsair 12gb DDR3 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 RAM, xfx HD 5970 + gigabyte HD 5970 (stock clocks), coolermaster ultimate 900w PSU.
amd catalyst 14.7 RC3 aug12

06/16/2014 03:04 PM

Author Icon
ITWebGuy
Peon

Yeah, no, bad advice. Updates should always be installed.

I still belive that it is AMD driver and Silverlight issue that AMD needs to address. 13.12 drivers work but there is not reason when you buy a 500 dollar video card that you should use old drivers and really can tick people off when latest software is not up to par with Nvidia. I've used both, ever since back in the day you had to install a glide wrapper to play open GL games on Nvidia cards. I been around the PC world for long time, these issues are so windows 98 like that I might have to jump ship! I love ATI but AMD lately is a bag of poorly debuged device drivers. Just saying.

06/16/2014 03:47 PM

Author Icon
backFireX64
Elite

Yeah, no, bad advice. Updates should always be installed.

Well, sure.

System should always be up to date.

No argues there.

Now, imagine trying to clean install a catalyst driver suite and, to your surprise, you find out that the all-wise automaton software tool invented by the all-seeing and caring microsoft company decides to update your pc with it's newly found driver. That was your choice as it should.

Then, a little while after, strange things start to happen.

Like ccc won't open.

Games producing weird artifacts.

Or random bsods occur.

Or your second, hard earned, display adapter is disabled and crossfire not working.

You then come to seek advice in a humble forum, realising you are not the only one having these problems.

After searching, reading some sticky threads, debating with fellow users, you come to the conclusion that not all software are meant to be updated automatically. But it's still your choice, isn't it ?

Could you have spared yourself the trouble ?

It is still your choice.

We are all in control.

Thanks.

gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev.2, core i7 975 3.9ghz (stock voltage), windows 8.1 64-bit, corsair 12gb DDR3 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 RAM, xfx HD 5970 + gigabyte HD 5970 (stock clocks), coolermaster ultimate 900w PSU.

06/20/2014 05:55 PM

Author Icon
ITWebGuy
Peon

I disagree, 1.5 billion PC's in the world run windows and just as many script klddies looking to exploit windows and steal your stuff. That is why Microsoft gives out security updates to thwarts these jerks, so Windows updates are a must, such as condoms and bar hookups, it is an option for you to use a condom, less you want an itchy junk that burns when you pee or to be an unexpectant father.

That being said, I am a MS certified tech using PC's for 30 years now.

I have done clean install enough times to give me arthitis and it is the same thing catalyst v 13.12 works, everything later, suks arse. I do not want to go back as the later updates give you more support for later games, mantle support...

There is no reason to go back in order for things to work, latest drivers and updates are always the best way to go in my opinion. But take it from some one who has only been using PC's for 30 years. not that it means much. =p

RC

06/20/2014 06:18 PM

Author Icon
backFireX64
Elite

You missed the point man.

We are agreeing that all windows updates should always be installed.

That system drivers, updates, software, firmware, BIOS version should always be up-to-date.

I am debating as to whether this procedure should be always automatic or if it is better for the user to, sometimes, manually search, download and install updates, drivers or software to the system. In this case, catalyst drivers/ software.

There are a lot of threads with people having gpu driver problems, cause they left windows update service to interfere with the catalyst install manager installation set-up that the user run.

By the way, contrary to you, i am a complete inexperienced, freckle face noob, but i never, ever, had gpu driver installation problems.

Maybe i was lucky ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Feel free to hang around and pass your own experience and expertize on this forum.

Statistics
86438 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.