Topic Title: Coloured/black screen during gameplay
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/21/2013 01:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/21/2013 01:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Retrobat
Peon

Whenever I play a game (any game) for a certain time (10 minutes or more), my screen suddenly starts to display vertical rows of one type of colour (green, blue, red...). This freezes the game temporarily, sometimes crashing it. This crash seem to happen only once.

It does, however, remove most of the text in Windows. For example, if you open Windows Task Manager, the only text that is visible is where the various programs or processes are displayed. All else is blank.

I tried to remedy this by doing a clean install. Before I have my AMD graphics card, I had a Geforce GTX 560 TI. Because I had a warranty on my old card, they replaced it with an AMD. So I decided to uninstall my graphic driver and used Driver Fusion and CCleaner to clean up what's left behind.

But that didn't help, because after all this I get the same problem, only this time it was a black screen.

Most of my games graphics are high, with anti-aliasing and v-sync either active or set on maximum.

In this pastebin you can find the system information I could gather from using dxdiag:

http://pastebin.com/bHv3fM4q

02/21/2013 05:46 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Hello, a bit more information may be needed to help you with your issue. Please read the thread below and revise your post to include the requested information in detail.  Doing so will help us help you more efficiently.

Thanks in advance...

**STICKY** | PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Please use the template, and fill out as much information about your issue as possible.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

02/25/2013 01:53 PM

Author Icon
Retrobat
Peon

Sorry that I haven't responded in the last few days, I didn't have much time.

Graphics Card:
RADEON HD 7850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E DP DL-DVI
Intel(R) HD Graphics (currently deactivated)
I must add that I recently discovered that there's an Intel graphics card in my computer.
Maybe it's integrated into the motherboard.

I had a NVidia Geforce GTX 560 TI before but that one broke down. Because I still had warranty on that card,
they had it replaced with an AMD Radeon HD 7800 because they couldn't find another geforce GTX 560 TI.

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History:
Current version: 13.1
I cannot remember the previous version(s) of the AMD driver, but I think it might have been 12.9.

Operating System:
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1. (64 bit)

Issue Details:
This is an issue that happens in multiple games. Most of my games also run through Steam.
As for their graphics settings, it's honestly too much to sum up. In general, the settings are set to high with the shadow and lighting quality on a lower setting in the more demanding games.
Anti-Aliasing and Vsync are active, with anisotropic filtering on maximum.

During gameplay, after about 10 minutes or more, the screen would change to vertical rows of one colour (red, green, blue...) separated by thin, black lines.
Sometimes, the screen would just turn black instead of the coloured rows.
This makes the game freeze, except for the sound. After a while, the screen flashes black and returns to normal. This sometimes causes the game to crash.

This only seem to happen once until I restart my computer. But it does mess with the display in Windows 7. For example, if I open Task Manager, most of the text is gone.

Motherboard or System Make & Model:
Intel Core I7 2600
Model DH67BL AAG10189-205

Power Supply:
I do not wish to open my computer out of fear to lose any warranty I have left.
But I do see a small label under the plug saying: 100-240V~/60-50Hz.

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used:
RADEON HD 7850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E DP DL-DVI

Mouse and Keyboard are wireless, using a Medion receiver with model no. RR-0438U.
The receiver is connected through an USB 2.0 port.
My screen is a Fujitsu Display SL27T-1 LED, connected through a VGA port.

Applications and Games:

Steam API: v012

Planetside 2. Can't seem to find the version number, but it's the most recent version.
Impire version 1.0.1.2 20/02/2013
Mount & Blade: Warband version 1.154
Civilization V (Gods & Kings included) version 1.0.2.21
Sleeping Dogs

CPU Details:
Intel Core I7-2600 CPU @3.40GHz
There are 4 Cores.

Motherboard BIOS Version:
Intel Corp. Version BLH6710H.86A.0076.2010.1115.1959

System Memory Type & Amount:
DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-14900
Only one slot is used, a 4GB

Additional Hardware:
My harddrive model is WDC WD5000AAKX-001CA0. File system is a NTFS and it has a total space of 476.8 GB

This is all the information I could find for now. I've also contacted my retailer about the problem and he suggested to check the temperature of my GPU with Speedfan (http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php). I'll let you know when I have the results.

Edit: Ok, I gave Speedfan a try and got the following results:
After starting up and trying speedfan for the first time, the temperature was 33 degrees Celcius.
During gaming these temperatures differ between 50 and 60 degrees Celcius. I have also noticed that the cores have the same temperature during gaming sessions. After the sessions, the temperature would drop below 40 degrees Celcius.

I must add that I haven't experienced any crashes during the tests. I'll update this once it does happen.

Edited: 02/25/2013 at 02:49 PM by Retrobat
 02/25/2013 02:51 PM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

Unless that case has a warranty sticker which has to be broken to open the case, you can open it without fear and check the power supply.

-------------------------
Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 02/27/2013 02:42 AM

Author Icon
Retrobat
Peon

I've managed to open my computer and found more information about my power supply:

SGE-650 AUBA
http://www.jj-computer.com/Products/Power_supply/Atx/High_efficiency/Sgp650auba/

I also found more info on my RAM:

Patriot Memory PS034G13332
Sadly, I coulnd't find any more on the internet for the moment. I'll try again later when I have more time.

03/01/2013 01:32 PM

Author Icon
bard_dante
Peon

same happens to me all the time since the 12.9 catalyst..crashes with dark screen and green vertical lines....worst.the 13.1 update cant make my game full screen...always left an inch dark panel frame top and side.

game: fifa13, dota2

pc specs: i3,hd5670,4gb ram,silverstone 500watt,win7ultimate 32bit

p/s: im using hdmi connector

Statistics
84907 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.