Topic Title: Games Not Running At Full Capacity
Topic Summary: Games don't seem to be using my computers full potential anymore.
Created On: 02/24/2013 12:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/24/2013 12:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ClearBS
Peon

-- Computer Specs --
Processor: i5 Quad Core 3.5 GHz
RAM: 2 Kingston 4 GBs
Graphics Card: AMD Rhadeon 6870 HD - 1 GB Dedicated Memory

-- Games Before Problem --
Game: League of Legends
FPS: 120 fps
Graphics Quality: Maximum

Game: Counter Strike: Global Offensive
FPS: 120 fps
Graphics Quality: High

Game: Firefall
FPS: 90 fps
Graphics Quality: High

-- After Problem --
Game: League of Legends
FPS: 60 fps(On a good day)
Graphics Quality: Medium - Low

Game: Counter Strike: Global Offensive
FPS: 45-50 fps
Graphics Quality: Low

Game: Firefall
FPS: 20 fps
Graphics Quality: Very Low

-- History of Problem --
The problem was first noticed by my brother over Christmas, when he returned to the computer and started playing Psychonauts, in which began to drop fps consistently. The computer was used the day before with no problem on the same game, no background programs (aside from Steam and essentials) were running.

-- What I have tried --
- Virus Scans, with AVG and Kaspersky
- Un-installed Psychonauts and every software he installed while he was here
- Defragged and cleaned my registry and hard-drive
- Updated all of my computer's drivers (especially my graphics)
- Dusted my entire computer and got it more air (even though it had no heating issues)

-- What I have also noticed --
When these games are running, popping Task Manager up on another screen shows me that the games are only using about 8 to 10% of my processors capacity, and about 10 to 13% of my graphics memory, and even less RAM.

-- Question --
What the heck happened?
Is there a windows setting that limits all programs from taking their required resources?

Edited: 02/25/2013 at 05:47 PM by ClearBS
 02/24/2013 04:55 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

Download something like MSI Afterburner, so you can monitor the GPU clock speeds and usage.

My best guess given your brief description is that you have something with Flash embedded running, with hardware acceleration enabled, which means the GPU would be locked to a lower clock speed.  If that's the case, the simplest solution is to disable hardware acceleration in Flash.

02/24/2013 06:11 PM

Author Icon
ClearBS
Peon

The problem is more so a massive drop in graphics ability, each game I played suffered greatly by whatever this is. My desktop graphics seem crippled, but analysis shows that the games only use about 8% of my computer's capabilities.

It's like I went from a 1 GB graphics card to a 256 MB graphics card, it's incredibly annoying. It happened suddenly, within one restart, and accross every game I play.

If you need additional information please let me know what it is you need to solve this.

I have no idea where to start with MSI. It appears to be at a constant low, regardless of what I do.

Edited: 02/24/2013 at 06:27 PM by ClearBS
 02/24/2013 08:21 PM

Author Icon
trutiss
Nerfed

i for one will use older catalyst version like 12.4 or 12.6 the newer catalysts did not improve frames per second in any game newer or older..

-------------------------

windows 7 x64/4770K@Stock,Asrock z87 Extreme6/Sapphire hd6970/Corsair 850 tx

02/25/2013 05:55 PM

Author Icon
ClearBS
Peon

Alright, I'm back. I don't think it's flash at all, that seems silly as I always have background applications such as youtube running in the background, even before the problem.

The problem is that my Graphics card isn't using all of it's resources. I tried to get a better picture with MSI but it just appears with these values almost constant: (even while in games)

Temp: 33 degrees C

GPU usage: 0% 

Fan Speed: 20%

Fan tachometer: 965 RPM / 10,000 RPM

Memory Clock: 150 MHz (the card comes with 1050 MHz)

Memory Usage: 0 MB (the card comes with 1064 MB)

Framerate: 0 FPS

So, from this data it would appear as though my card isn't even being used. I think my brother might've caused a sublight system to override the graphics, such as Intel HD Graphics. 

QUESTIONS: Does Catalyst conflict with Intel HD Graphics? Could motherboard graphics be taking over?

02/25/2013 06:04 PM

Author Icon
ClearBS
Peon

I think I found out what it was... My brother must have accidentally knocked out my HDMI cord while moving my PC or something similar, then plugged the HDMI cord into my motherboard instead of my graphics card. It completely bypassed my graphics card, and Intel HD Graphics took over and so I've been playing games off of my processor and not off of my Graphics Card.

This has been irritating me for 2 months now...

TL:DR Brother plugged cord into wrong slot, Intel stepped in, all fixed. LOL

Statistics
81011 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.