Topic Title: Tomb Raider 2013 framerate Bombs!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/06/2013 06:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/11/2013 05:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

03/11/2013 05:50 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: Garm31 If you read the post, you would see that I am not play tomb raider on max settings. I am talking about an inconsistant not stable framerate, not matter what setting. The benchmark that comes with the game is not the most taxing level, getting 60 -100 fps , what a joke. The later areas are cripling.

Thanny can smack me upside the head or something if I get this wrong, but I believe the point was that there's a limit to the performance of computer hardware, and some games are more demanding than others.  You haven't posted anything so far which could convince me that the performance of your machine is atypical.

Let me explain how this is going to work from here.  You can read the stickies posted at the top of this section and post a description of the problem that might actually be useful, or we can write this off as a lost cause and forget about it.

I don't want to shut your thread down just because you genuinely don't understand how these things work, but if you're not going to accept any advice or information from the people who post here, then there's not much we can do for you.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

03/14/2013 04:47 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

It's been a rough week for PC gamers, hasn't it?

All I can say is Square Enix ought to be sending some lovely gifts to Electronic Arts right about now, considering how much heat EA is drawing away from SE. The Windows version of the Square Enix's new Tomb Raider game isn't running well on some Nvidia graphics chips. The situation is bad enough that Nvidia acknowledged the issue and apologized to their customers:

We are aware of performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings....In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games.

http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech/347457/simcity-and-tomb-raider-two-major-pc-game-launches-marred-technical-problems

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

03/15/2013 10:18 PM

Author Icon
GreatExpectations
Peon

I have a very similar setup, same CPU with a HD 7870 XT. And I have a similar experience with Tomb Raider. There's two open maps: Mountain Village and Shanty Town. Those drop framerates alot. All other areas work like butter. Now, what I thought is that my Phenom II x4 955 3.2 GHZ bottlenecks the graphics card. I put out the GPU and CPU core usages with HwInfo and what I found is that when I'm in the open area my CPU usage is about 70-80 max on 2 of the cores, pretty high but not in the 90s, and the GPU usage is at around 40%. I'm getting about 20 fps on ultra settings then. When I'm in more smaller areas even if they have TONS of particle effects and stuff the GPU usage will be at 99% and the frames will be around 60, 50 min. Now, when I'm in the open area and I underclock my CPU to 2100 Mhz I will lose only about 4 frames and still don't have my CPU cores maxing out. When I overclock to 3600 I will gain about 3 fps. I think this is weird. Anyone have an explanation why neither the CPU nor the GPU maxes out? Is the graphics card too slow in the processing of some of the effects without running under full load? I try to figure out if I should upgrade my CPU currently and to learn more which factors influence performance in my games.

Also to fix the issue I temporality put the "level of detail" to Normal (or even low) which gives me 40+ fps while I'm playing in this area. I leave all of the other settings on Ultra. I recommend this, I can hardly make out the difference - I think "Level of Detail" is related to some processing on stuff like smoke, shadows and lighting. 

03/16/2013 11:29 PM

Author Icon
abohamed
Buffed

ok guys .. check this out .. my best friend have 7850 with intel core 2 quad q9550 @ 2.90 cache 12M and he have a steady 30 - 40 FPS with EVERYTHING on ULTRA ( only the AA set on FXAA ) and by that i mean even with TressFX on so Garm31 i think your problem is in your software or something !!!

Asus EAH 5770 CU core , Intel i7 3770 @ 3.90 GHz 8M Cache , GA P75-D3 , Corsair 8 GB DDR3 RAM , Cooler master extreme 500 W PSU , Win 8.1 64 bit enterprise

Edited: 03/17/2013 at 12:51 AM by abohamed
 03/17/2013 09:48 AM

Author Icon
zipsi
Case Modder

@abohamed I think TR was patched now to have a lower performance impact, so everyone who has performance issues, let your Steam client update it! .. that is unless you are running the pirated version..

Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 03/17/2013 06:56 PM

Author Icon
abohamed
Buffed

Originally posted by: zipsi @abohamed I think TR was patched now to have a lower performance impact, so everyone who has performance issues, let your Steam client update it! .. that is unless you are running the pirated version..

i have already patch it but still i have the same problem !!! ( iam taking about Tomb Raider v1.0.718.4 here ) ... and to be clear i have already finish the game and iam so happy with it that way without the TressFX ( and btw its the game of the year for me until now ) and i know that my video card is old and a bit weak by these days standard but my point is : AMD said that : this new technology will work just fine with ANY DX11 video card ( even nvidia ) so ..........

Asus EAH 5770 CU core , Intel i7 3770 @ 3.90 GHz 8M Cache , GA P75-D3 , Corsair 8 GB DDR3 RAM , Cooler master extreme 500 W PSU , Win 8.1 64 bit enterprise

Edited: 03/18/2013 at 01:22 PM by abohamed
 03/18/2013 03:07 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Yeah well, unfortunately things aren't really that simple dude....  DX11 cards have been around for quite a while now, and it sounds like Tomb Raider could make some of them cry without much trouble, regardless of who said what.

What you're probably thinking of is how tressfx is done using DirectCompute instead of Physx, but supporting an API, and having enough resources to run a particular application that uses it are two very different questions.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 03/18/2013 at 03:28 AM by Mime
 03/18/2013 01:20 PM

Author Icon
abohamed
Buffed

Originally posted by: Mime Yeah well, unfortunately things aren't really that simple dude....  DX11 cards have been around for quite a while now, and it sounds like Tomb Raider could make some of them cry without much trouble, regardless of who said what.

What you're probably thinking of is how tressfx is done using DirectCompute instead of Physx, but supporting an API, and having enough resources to run a particular application that uses it are two very different questions.

you are totally right mate .. because i have updated my game to v1.0.722.3 that made especially to fix the TressFX FPS big hit problem but still i have 15 - 20 FPS when i turn it on ... so my thoughts ( besides yours ) that you must have at least a video card with 2 GB of memory to run it just fine and please correct me if i'm wrong

03/18/2013 02:41 PM

Author Icon
GreatExpectations
Peon

I have 1.5gb of Video Memory used at most times in this game even without TressFX.

03/18/2013 04:32 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: abohamed

you are totally right mate .. because i have updated my game to v1.0.722.3 that made especially to fix the TressFX FPS big hit problem but still i have 15 - 20 FPS when i turn it on ... so my thoughts ( besides yours ) that you must have at least a video card with 2 GB of memory to run it just fine and please correct me if i'm wrong

It certainly wouldn't hurt.  I'm not sure what the exact specs are, but I know realistic animation of hair is something that often drives professional 3D animators crazy even when they have a full render farm of dedicated machines and many, many hours of rendering time to process a scene.  No doubt things have been scaled down here in order for everything to work in real time, but still... there's going to be a performance penalty unless you've got a considerable amount of graphics hardware in use.

Troll Hunter

Edited: 03/18/2013 at 06:20 PM by Mime
Statistics
81022 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.