Topic Title: The new Sim City
Topic Summary: The game that can't be played
Created On: 03/08/2013 02:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/08/2013 02:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Perfect example of a game that wasn't ready to be sold to the public. I'm surprised that there are no posts blaming the graphics card.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/09/arts/video-games/simcity-from-electronic-arts-plagued-by-server-issues.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

03/08/2013 02:22 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

The game its self was much more "ready" than some others that have been released recently.  What caused all the problems was the requirement of always-on DRM for a single player game.

A protection algorithm that needs to phone home isn't necessarily any more secure than a simple CD-check or some other local means of copy protection... it just has more potential to cause problems when things don't go exactly according to plan.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

03/08/2013 04:30 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

You wold think that after SPORE and a couple of other failures, EA would realize that the always on DRM scheme is a bad idea. There are only two content protection systems I can think of that remained uncracked, the DirecTV signal encryption system, and the Disney content protection system (though the latter may have been broken by now). I don't see why they don't go back to a media check system for people that think Origin sucks and STEAM is something you use to get wrinkles out of shirts, so you end up with a bit of noise when it spins up, at least you don't have to worry about authentication servers going down or an interruption in your internet service. God Forbid someone might want to play their game on a laptop where internet is not available.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/08/2013 05:08 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

For games where there's no single player campaign I can see there being a place for always-on DRM.  If you've got to have an internet connection to play the game anyway, then it's not such a big deal.

For sim city though...  it's not like having to phone home before playing is going to stop cracked copies from popping up on the pirate bay.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 03/08/2013 at 05:21 PM by Mime
 03/08/2013 07:55 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

It's just going to make legitimate people find a pirated copy somewhere with the DRM system removed like they did with Spore instead of spending money on it. I would say maybe it will be removed soon but this is EA, knowing them they'll just make it more strict.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/10/2013 05:27 PM

Author Icon
primortal
Peon

Anyone have this game crashing their video card drivers?

I'm running Windows 8 (64bit) on a Radeon HD 5900 video card with 13.1 drivers (current version) and everytime I run this game full screen or windowed it crashes my video card driver enough times that the app gets blocked.

The  crash happens when entering the city.

Edited: 03/10/2013 at 05:59 PM by primortal
 03/13/2013 12:25 PM

Author Icon
noeyjerd
Peon

It seems to be happening to AMD users. All on the official EA forums. I was wondering what is going wrong.....

There seems to be something happening to people when they are playing Simcity. When loading a city my screen would go black and my monitor will say "no signal" I shot a video of it on my phone here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMClZSCCnEw

It will let me in my city sometimes and when I get in I am able to play for hours but when I click on regional view the same thing happens. Every time! I have a Radeon 6950 with the latest drivers (the beta drivers does the same thing so does older drivers) My temps are in the 70s so I wouldn't think it would be a overheating issue. My CPU temp is in the 60-70s. My power supply is good enough to handle this card as well. This is the only game this happens in. I just played The Witcher 2 on ultra and Battlefield 3 on ultra trying to crash my system again but it ran just fine. I even used furmark and everything was fine. I don't know what is going wrong. This is the only game it happens in so that leads me to believe it isn't hardware. Maybe drivers? Does AMD know about this? or are they updating their drivers for simcity soon?

(There are abut 10 posts on the front page on the official forums about this very issue)

I did a search on these forums for any simcity posts and nothing came up so I made a new thread about it.  :/

03/14/2013 04:04 PM

Author Icon
noeyjerd
Peon

Anything? Could this be a driver issue? I have tried the latest beta, stable and older drivers and it does the same thing.

03/14/2013 04:49 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

This is most probably a game/developer issue...check out their tweets

https://twitter.com/simcity

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2013/03/12/ea-maxis-simcity-launch-problems-drive-record-number-of-pc-gamers-to-change-org/

""While EA is offering gamers who purchased SimCity a free game because of the launch issues, they stopped short of letting frustrated gamers return their game. In general, PC games have always been hard to return to any store (with the exception of exchanging it for the same title). And the used game industry, which is thriving at stores like GameStop, focuses on consoles and portables, not PC titles. So a lot of frustrated SimCity fans are stuck with a game that won’t work “100 percent” for a few more days. And they’re likely not too thrilled with a free game for their trouble. Fans have been complaining now for almost a week.""

""You may not have heard too much about the Tomb Raider problems; a lot of that discussion has been drowned out by the tremendous outcry about Electronics Arts' SimCity launch, which can best be described as a debacle.""  http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech/347457/simcity-and-tomb-raider-two-major-pc-game-launches-marred-technical-problems

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

03/14/2013 05:06 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

I wouldn't really call the problems with Tomb Raider at all similar to what happened with Simcity.  Tomb raider can run slowly on nvidia hardware, while  Simcity might not run at all on any hardware.

Troll Hunter

03/14/2013 09:34 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Mime I wouldn't really call the problems with Tomb Raider at all similar to what happened with Simcity.  Tomb raider can run slowly on nvidia hardware, while  Simcity might not run at all on any hardware.

I wonder what game they are giving 'free'? Another copy of Simcity?

03/14/2013 10:47 PM

Author Icon
noeyjerd
Peon

The developer tweets have nothing to do with what is happening to me and a lot of other people. Nvidia came out with beta drivers on the 4th and people who are using them are not seeing this problem anymore. People with AMD are still seeing it. The game developer has said nothing about this issue I am having. It could be a driver issue!

03/14/2013 11:37 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Nvidia releases a driver on the 4th and calls it "game ready", whatever that means.  EA releases simcity on the 6th and all hell breaks loose.

Unless nvidia has a magic time machine I'd say it's very unlikely there was anything done in those drivers to account for what we've seen from this game since it was launched.

I mean, that'd be cool if they did, but... yeah... probably not.

Troll Hunter

03/15/2013 12:06 AM

Author Icon
noeyjerd
Peon

This problem just seems like a driver issue. It could be. Most likely it is maxis but who knows..

03/15/2013 12:29 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

There's a sticky at the top of the section for reporting issues that are reproducible.

Like I told the other dude though... with so many problems around the launch of this game don't pin your hopes only on that.

Troll Hunter

03/15/2013 12:50 AM

Author Icon
noeyjerd
Peon

Oh I'm not. It could be Maxis but I have seen new drivers fix so many things...

03/15/2013 02:46 AM

Author Icon
noeyjerd
Peon

I looked in the event viewer and it made a dmp. I opened it *have no clue what I am looking at * but it does say "Unable to load image atikmpag.sys, Win32 error 0n2" That is the ati card right? When I do a clean fresh install it does the same thing to my game though.

03/16/2013 02:21 AM

Author Icon
GreatExpectations
Peon

This could be a hardware issue though. Broken motherboard for example.

03/17/2013 12:22 AM

Author Icon
Finntroll
Peon

I have the exact same problems as you mentioned in your other thread noeyjerd. I also have a 6950, my temps are around the same as yours, everything works great in other games, but when I go to regional view in Simcity, my gpu just shuts off like in your video. Sound is still going in the background, but I am forced to reset my computer. I hope this gets figured out soon.

03/17/2013 05:28 PM

Author Icon
noeyjerd
Peon

I contacted AMD and they said it sounds like a game issue and that it is EA's fault. Other people on the EA forums contact EA on phone (still no reply from email or twitter when I contacted them..) and they blame it on a driver issue or your "faulty hardware" There is no way ALL of us having this error have faulty hardware and like I typed before I ran prime95, furmark, and memtest for hours with no problem!

I can't see a driver issue cause there are people with AMD running it just fine BUT you never know. I love how AMD took not even 1 day to contact me but EA hasn't even typed one word to me.

I look in the event viewer and different things are saying to cause errors but for the shutdown errors it just says "windows has shut down unexpectedly" One time it will be this error. The other that error. A few different things to be causing errors but it is only around when I am running Simcity.

Statistics
86654 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.