Topic Title: AMD Radeon HD6670 Gameplay problem
Topic Summary: ... it used to work well, but then...
Created On: 03/19/2013 02:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/19/2013 02:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ajgor9000
Peon

Hi, good people of AMD Forum!

Lately I'm experiencing a strange problem. I used to run Win 7 on my system and played games like NFS Shift 2, NFS The Run, Crysis 2, Fallout 3/New Vegas etc. These games ran OK on my PC (not always on full graphics, but decently for my expectations). Then, I installed Win 8 in dual boot with 7. Win 8 was only for experimental purposes, so all the games I played on Win 7. One time I wanted to play Dirt 3 and the game didn't played very well, barely playable. If my memory serves me well, I think in that time I updated the graphic driver to the latest 13 version of AMD drivers (Win 8 made me do that, so I applied it to Win 7 to). After that period NFS Shift2 started lagging, however before it ran pretty good, NFS Most Wanted (the new one) also lagging, F1 2012 not playable (with lower resolution, lower settings, no multisampling and no v sync plays well for 1 minute, then starts lagging). I'm wondering what happened. I'm aware that my configuration isn't the top of the line, but some games that used to run good just won't do anymore.

Here is my configuration:

Windows 8 64bit (Win 7 removed, no dual boot anymore)

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Dual Core 3.0GHz

Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6670 DDR3 1Gb (with the latest drivers and catalyst software, AMD OverDrive enabled)

4Gb RAM

The PC is one year old, back then was brand new.

Any tips what could be the problem?

Here is a YT video a guy plays F1 2012 with similar configuration, no lag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buflko6or04

I ran a benchmark test in F1 2012:

Average FPS at 800x600 = 24

Average FPS at 1366/768 = 34

CPU temperature: 70C

GPU temperature: 63C

Edited: 03/19/2013 at 08:27 PM by Ajgor9000
 03/19/2013 11:08 PM

Author Icon
Ajgor9000
Peon

OK, here is what I done so far:

1. latest AMD graphic driver installed
2. in CCC AMD Overdrive enabled, set to the highest values
3. installed AMD OverDrive
4. CCC and RadeonPro set to performance
5. DirectX updated
6. RealTek audio driver updated
7. PC thrown out through closed window from 4th floor... oh, wait, it's still pending...

Still, no result.

03/23/2013 09:36 PM

Author Icon
bobmitch
Peon

Only suggestion I can think of.  Update your AMD processor and chipset drivers.  Did you install the most up to date when you installed Win 8?  Most times, the Windows default drivers get installed...and they are not always tweaked the way AMD or even Intel tweak their drivers

-------------------------
 03/23/2013 09:45 PM

Author Icon
Ajgor9000
Peon

Let me update the topic:

I have a fresh install of Win7, without Win8 in dual boot.

First, I used the factory drivers - the games are lagging.

Then updated the graphic driver to the latest. No result.

Let's try to focus on the fact that my games played well before, even without regularly updated drivers wathsoever (processor, chipset, bios... nothing). I installed Race Driver: GRID today. The game lags badly, no matter how I set up the graphic settings. Something is very wrong and I'm starting to think of hardware issues.

03/24/2013 07:20 AM

Author Icon
Ajgor9000
Peon

OK, I'm experiencing some progress.
I updated the BIOS to v17.13, date 12/14/2012. The Race Driver:GRID mentioned in the previous post and F1 2012 played well for a while, got about 60 FPS at GRID (1920 resolution, high graphic settings, 2x multisampling, v-sync on) and about 40-42 FPS at F1. Then, lag starts again, but not as badly as before. After 10 minute test playing both games the CPU temperature was 85C (operational temperature is 74C - factory information) and the GPU temperature was 79C.
After 10-15 minutes the temperatures dropped back to CPU 55C and GPU 49C. These values are basically the minimum all the time. So, is this overheating?

03/26/2013 11:31 AM

Author Icon
pagon91
Peon

Hi, recently my GF 7900GT burned so i had to buy another graphic card, i picked hd6670 cause i thought i wont use even half of his power, its a lot better card than my old one.

Cleaned up my pc from previous software, format, put the new card inside. downloaded latest ccc drivers - 13.1. One of the few games im playing is League of Legends, simple game, got low requirements so i turned all the scrollbars to max. it was a bit of shock but i had like 10-15fps, on my previous card on lowest settings i had 60+ so i could enjoy the game. after that i lowered some options to medium and 1280x1024 resolution and i still got like 20-30fps, spikes are often. i really dont know, is after all the new card that cant manage to do this or i messed smth up with settings.

my pc is pentium 820 D, 4GB ram, hd6670 and everything is running on XP

in CCC i turned everything on what could gimme more performance

03/26/2013 11:53 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

Originally posted by: pagon91 Hi, recently my GF 7900GT burned so i had to buy another graphic card, i picked hd6670 cause i thought i wont use even half of his power, its a lot better card than my old one.

Cleaned up my pc from previous software, format, put the new card inside. downloaded latest ccc drivers - 13.1. One of the few games im playing is League of Legends, simple game, got low requirements so i turned all the scrollbars to max. it was a bit of shock but i had like 10-15fps, on my previous card on lowest settings i had 60+ so i could enjoy the game. after that i lowered some options to medium and 1280x1024 resolution and i still got like 20-30fps, spikes are often. i really dont know, is after all the new card that cant manage to do this or i messed smth up with settings.

my pc is pentium 820 D, 4GB ram, hd6670 and everything is running on XP

in CCC i turned everything on what could gimme more performance

I don't know what you were expecting from that card, but you can compare benchmarks here > http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

03/26/2013 12:44 PM

Author Icon
Ajgor9000
Peon

pagon91

Your PC configuration seems to be more than enough to run the mentioned game. However, I'm not familiar with that game. If it is an online game you really need to make sure your internet connection is fast and stable enough. You didn't made that mistake to put the monitor plug into the mainboard socket inseatd of the graphic cards, didn't you? In my case, the game lagging problems' origin seems to be the processor over heating. I ecommend you to monitor the regular mode and in game temperatures of your MainBoard, CPU, GPU. Updating the bios can also be a solution. 

Maybe you could write a little more about your issue, is it affecting other games to?

03/26/2013 01:57 PM

Author Icon
pagon91
Peon

about the temperatures, i have already cleaned up everyithing inside when i was putting the new card and the coolers seems decent (on CPU - im not using box one, switched to Arctic Cooling smth smth, dont remember, on GPU - its a Gigabyte model, got large radiator and 100mm fan). Lag spikes might happen, i only got 10Mbit, the game i mentioned is online and the servers are in USA when im playing from Poland but it never was an issue in the first place.

After all i wiped all the drivers again, installed 12.8 without CCC, only display drivers and now i got ~40fps at max so its all right i think

Statistics
83844 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.