Topic Title: Photoshop OpenGL
Topic Summary: drivers may be causing Photoshop to not function properly
Created On: 05/09/2013 11:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/09/2013 11:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mrmagee1000
Peon

my machine: 2 AMD Radeon HD 7700 series cards (no bridge), intel core i5-2500, Windows 7 64bit, 32GB ram, 2 Acer monitors and a Wacom Cintiq 21ux

My issue is that all of a sudden all of the OpenGL features in Photoshop CS5 have stopped functioning. They all worked earlier in the week and then one day: nothing. I have OpenGL checked in the performance tab (like it always has been) (it's set to Basic mode) but when I try to do things like rotate canvas, it tells me:

"Could not complete your request because it only works with OpenGL enabled document windows"

Other options such as "scrubby zoom" are simply greyed out and unusable.

Uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers worked momentarily, but when I switched to another Photoshop document, it just went back to not working.

I had OpenGL set to basic because originally it was set to Advanced but if I ever opened the color picker and chose a color all the way to the right (full saturation) I would get weird artifacting when I drew. Every color would be solid black and only a faint hum of the chosen color around the edges. Switching the mode to Basic fixed that problem. <-- thought maybe that info would be important somehow.

But like I said before, it "was" working only days ago. I'm not sure what could have happened to it besides me running CCleaner.

Those OpenGL features are pretty important to my workflow however, so these problems are a significant blow to the speed in which I can draw. If anyone has an idea of how I could fix this it would be highly appreciated!

Thank you

05/10/2013 03:26 AM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

Originally posted by: mrmagee1000 But like I said before, it "was" working only days ago. I'm not sure what could have happened to it besides me running CCleaner.

As you had no problems before running CCleaner it may have to do with that, particularly if you use the registry 'cleaner'. If you are in the habit of using the registry 'cleaner' stop. Registry cleaners are no benefit and are a throwback to the early days of slow cpu's and small quantities of HDD and RAM. A time when every MB counted.

If it's not too late you could try doing a system restore to before running CCleaner. Reinstalling Photoshop may help.

If you have installed another software there may be a conflict with that.

Drivers rarely, if ever, become corrupt in normal use, so reinstalling the drivers is not likely to fix the  issue.

Edited: 05/10/2013 at 03:43 AM by Dinwiddie
 05/12/2013 01:47 AM

Author Icon
mrmagee1000
Peon

Reinstalling seems to have solved things... for now. I'm not confident it will stay that way however.

I'd still love to know what made it glitch out like that.

Dinwiddie, is CCleander really capable of screwing something up to the point where it disabiles it's features (like OpenGL)? Even if you just run it on its default settings? I know a lot of people that use that program and actually suggested I run it more. That's why I'm confused as to why it would affect something badly like that.

Thanks for your help though! Like I said, it seems to be working now, but I will keep this thread bookmarked incase OpenGL fails again. I also will not be running CCleaner again... just in case haha

05/12/2013 02:20 AM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

Well, it's just a putting two and two together thing. A coincidence ? Maybe.  A good possibility ?  Probably. Particularly if you use the registry cleaner. Most who recommend CCleaner (at least where I hang out most) advise against using any registry 'cleaner'. I have used the other CCleaner options on occasion, such as when imaging my Windows from my old machine to my new one, but even then I went through the registry manually and deleted only what I was fully confidient was redundant.

If you feel a aching need to 'clean' the registry at least read all the suggested deletions and select only those you now come from uninstalled software.

It's not necessarliy that it disabled OpenGL. It may have created a broken link or similar situation that blocked OpenGL from working with Photoshop.I'll be interested in hearing if you have the probelms again - I'm mainly here to learn.

Edited: 05/12/2013 at 02:29 AM by Dinwiddie
 05/12/2013 12:02 PM

Author Icon
mrmagee1000
Peon

New development! OpenGL stopped working again. haha

But here is what I've found! When I launch Photoshop, I launch it on my Wacom Cintiq monitor. OpenGL will not work. However, if I move the Photoshop window over to my normal monitor, close it, and reopen it so that it launches on the normal monitor, OpenGL works fine and I can move it over to the Cintiq and use it.

Something is causing OpenGL to crash whenever Photoshop is launched onto the Cintiq. This is a little annoying considering I'll have to constantly be moving the Photoshop window back and forth, but at least I can get it working!

Do you have any clue as to what would be causing this?

05/13/2013 01:53 AM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

No idea - Flash units though. I reckon it would be fun playing with them.

I gather you are working in a professional capacity. You may want to post on the Photoshop or Wacom forums/support for information more specific to those products.

Interesting that there was no problem earlier on and reinstalling worked correctly for a short time.  Is the Cintiq on it's own card, or sharing a card with one of the other monitors ?  Have you tried swapping which card it is connected to ? Do the ACER and Cintiq monitors use the same type of input ?

I would assume the Cintiq uses a driver for it's functions. I wonder if there may be a conflict in that (a question for their support) ? Have you update the driver for the Cintiq recently ?

I just read this in relation to Photoshop/Open GL and Win7 (would most likely apply to Win8 as well) - "Windows 7 will, as you probably know, kill the display driver if OpenGL does not flush for 2 seconds or so".

This sounds a bit like the dread TDR crash/error, and it can be very difficult to pin down the true cause of a TDR crash. While the error always mentions the display driver the driver is frequently not the culprit. One thing that can help is to make a registry entry that changes the Windows default of 2 sec lag time to something longer (Monopoly$oft has been recommending 8 sec. ).

I've been using the following key for close on two years now, but there are other options in the link below -
Open regedit   then - Navigate to -
H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Graphics Drivers.
Right click on the open field and  click on New / DWORD (32bit) Value,
Then name it: TdrDelay -> double click it -> Set it to a number up to 10.

TDR Registry keys -

Now ! After suggesting you create a registry key - While CCleaner may not have been the source of the problem, do avoid using the registry cleaner anyway (you haven't said if you did use the registry cleaner). 

btw - you may find someone more knowledgable on the topic in the Tech Lounge forum.

Edited: 05/13/2013 at 02:49 AM by Dinwiddie
Statistics
84311 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.