Topic Title: Mipmap detailing issue
Topic Summary: Many games started to work with blurred and extremely bumped textures on HD7950Gpu
Created On: 08/08/2013 06:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/08/2013 06:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Stantum
Peon

Hello there, this is my first post and topic here. First of all sorry for my grammar or misuse of words, english is not my native. And i couldnt percept which board should i ask in, so i came here, don't know if this belongs somewhere else.

This may be a longer post, i'll try to explain everything as conveniently and detailed as i can. because i'm about to get really sick of this.

Anyway here the problem stands; 

i've had a middle-high pc system using with my hd ready lcd tv as the monitor, via HD4250 on-board card with hd cable. Everything was fine and the system was working flawlessly showing its best performance. 

My specs were;  

Windows 7 ultimate x64
Gigabyte  880GM-D2H motherboard
Amd Phenom II x4 965 at 3.4GHz
4 gb of single ram at  1333 mhz 
radeon hd4250 512mb on-board plugged to a hdtv at 720p60 res; managed via vision engine control center
and a dvd-rom driver.
all running behind 500w power supply.

a few days ago ive bought Radeon HD7950 (sapphire one, overclocked at 925 as default)
 i got it and installed perfectly, (by the way i know 500w is a bit lower for such system with this gpu, but i think that pci-e 2.0 is nothing to affect pci 3 gpu performance but maybe less than %1)
then instead of the installation cd, i wanted to download latest driver from ati website and just installed it with vision engine cc, without uninstalling the older cc or on-board's driver. and without changing any other software within or OS itself.

after a restart, everything seemed fine and steady, at 1080p60 or 720p60. but after a while, when i tried to play Trackmania (united), which game ive been playing since 2005 and had none of a problem yet, ive noticed that the ingame graphics are weird. all the textures were blurred out at lower mipmapping as possible. i thought it was the game options itself, but insteaad i quit went to vision engine and checked gaming options there. all the options were default and leaved to application. then i thought it must be mipmapping level but couldnt find the opton in the list. (the older control center had the high mipmap detailing option before installing this directly on it)

then i tried playing the game with few combinations. tried Trackmania, Civilization V, skyrim... the units in civ5 were looking like sprites in DOS games. Skyrrim landcape and models also looked like HD psone graphics. like toon shaded. anyway Trackmania was the main, and ive tried my possibilities with changing both game and ati options. here are things ive tried;

turned off AA from game options
turned on to 2x, 4x
turned off and fulled anisotropic filtering to 16x 
tried both in various levels
tried with all rendering levels from pc0 to pc3 high with these options
tried with different resolutions
then set all to default from game and went onto Control Center
did same things with forcing AA and/or AP 
turned on/off  tessellation, morphological filtering, Cattalyst AI, even vertical refresh

whatever i did, nothing took the graphics back to normal. textures were same. i also dont think of any programs ive been using were clashing or overriding graphical settings. i dont even have an protective software which could prevent or block applying settings.

Then ive formatted my pc.( i was already thinking of it) reinstalled win7 x64, updated it to last possible, then installed latest graphics and any other driver again, but now without Vision Engine.

after that i installed Trackmania, started a track and graphics were surprisingly same.

tried to install an older driver (12.4) with Vision engine. still there was no mipmap option there. after that i desperately updated to the latest version.

with about a hour of research, i found a solution to turn on mipmapping option in CCC,  changed necessary registry keys and finally after a restart i got the option there. it was slided all the way right to high quality, ive lowered and fulled again, then went to the game but still nothing changed. lowered and still same.

finally, installed ati tray tools and tried to force mipmap detail settings to high, without and with LOD slider (to both ways)

nothing damn changed. and i'm here now.

i don't know what should i do.  Desperately need help about this. now the only possibility in my mind is that maybe GPU locked the mipmap setting inside itself to low? or was it all about the gpu corruption?

Please help me. please. i don't even want to know what would happen in 3dsmax which i not yet tested.

Thanks for reading. sorry for the long post again.

edit: this is a present screenshot ive just taken. detail levels are all ultra high with 16AF and 8xAA. and that black thing at front of the car meant to be a "complex shadow" which is the ultimate form.
Note that "Press Enter" font is perfect but the timer at the bottom is jagged.

>http://i40.tinypic.com/2mh8y39.png

Edited: 08/10/2013 at 09:35 AM by Stantum
 08/09/2013 10:40 AM

Author Icon
Stantum
Peon

Update: i've tried playing FIFA 13 with ultra high settings at 1080p 4xAA

The graphics and gameplay looked great without any single bug/glitch/flaw.  with no mipmap or blending problems.

i started to think if its all about DDS compatibility of the GPU. plenty of people on the internet stated smiliar problems with DDS or directx related textures. interesting.

still hope that it's not about firmware or hardware.  

08/10/2013 01:18 AM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

First, get rid of that screenshot, so your post can be properly read.  Post a link to the picture.  The forum software here doesn't know how to properly scroll horizontally.

Second, while I'm not at all familiar with that game, a quick search of "trackmania united blurry textures" turned up this, which would seem to have both the cause (more graphics memory) and solution (back-level the game) to your problem.  So it's a game bug, and it affects nVidia cards as well.

08/10/2013 10:14 AM

Author Icon
Stantum
Peon

sorry for the image. 

i've tried the solution they do, but nothing changed yet again. tried to uninstall and install game with patches one-by-ne until that "issue-solver" version he mentioned but nope. also i dont know why hed be happy because the image he posted by there has still bumpy-blurry landscape textures, which seems beyond lowest game settings possible.

i don't think its about the game. ive seen so many people with this kind of problem over the internet, some had screenshots with toony edgy nex-gen games such like battlefield 3. it's desperately about the card i think.

also wonder about if there are settings inside the Gpu itself, like ccc settings, and wonder if i could reset or disable them? maybe the Gpu forcing those graphics? 

Statistics
84900 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.