Topic Title: Starcraft Broodwar COLOR issue with any driver after 13.5
Topic Summary: Color issue with driver update
Created On: 08/21/2013 01:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/09/2013 02:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Replay
Originally posted by: Andrey_Rybenkov thanks for your efforts, so I skip 13.9 and stick to 13.5b2.

no, that one doesnt work too... the only one is 13.4 and i want to use new drivers as well as play old games... i should be penalized for that...

This is a wild shot, but what is your "surface format optimization" set at in CCC? That strange choice can cause problems in newer games as it's purpose is to allow some older games/engines to work with more modern graphics cards. Most people enable it because it sounds cool. Try it. If it works you can make a profile for that older game with this enabled.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

11/13/2013 09:57 AM

Author Icon
nikqz
Peon

This is a wild shot, but what is your "surface format optimization" set at in CCC? That strange choice can cause problems in newer games as it's purpose is to allow some older games/engines to work with more modern graphics cards. Most people enable it because it sounds cool. Try it. If it works you can make a profile for that older game with this enabled.

changing this option does not help

11/23/2013 06:06 PM

Author Icon
mrloper
Peon

I have the same problem with warcraft II Batle.net edition(the windows version) i have tried everything. compatibility mode and disabling explorer for example.

Nothing worked, still got crazy rainbow colors. 

Then I Disabled the video card in the device manager and restarted the computer, and then...volia... it worked, the collors in the game were how they should be.  but without my video card driver I cant do a lot of other stuff, so i hope there is or will be a better solution.

I have:

AMD FX 8320 8 core

ATI/AMD Readon HD 5670

8 GB RAM DDR3

Windows 7 64 Bit

Edited: 11/23/2013 at 06:20 PM by mrloper
 11/25/2013 05:04 PM

Author Icon
Kahless_uk
Peon

Starcraft (and many other games of it's generation) haven't ever worked on Windows Vista or Windows 7, it's because they use a now defunct version of direct draw which modern versions of windows do not have, modern video cards do not support and modern video card drivers simply do not include (in much the same way as they do not include support for old DOS games).

You can get Starcraft and most other direct draw games to run by using a simple direct draw wrapper, the same as you do to play old 3DFX games with a Glide wrapper.

There are several out there, some convert direct draw calls to OpenGL textures and render them that way (helpful for Linux users especially) others use Direct 3D.

Here are a couple that have worked for me getting Starcraft and Command and Conquor working

http://sol.gfxile.net/ddhack/

https://code.google.com/p/ddhack/

11/26/2013 03:51 AM

Author Icon
shakigami
Peon

Originally posted by: Replay Hi, i would like to play this game with lastest drivers 13.8 but any driver after 13.4 glitches my Broodwar game like this

http://www.taringajuegos.net/juegos/problema-starcraft-broodwar/ this is a description of what is happening when i open the game with new drivers

i usually play this game but i would like to enjoy the perfomance i can get on new drivers while being able to play Broodwar with normal colors

i regularly play BF3 and other modern games, but i would like to keep playing broodwar as well... and newer drivers wont allow me to do so.

Please fix this.

http://www.starcraft2forum.org/showthread.php?20742-Play-Starcraft-BW-on-Windows-7

i solved this problem with this

11/28/2013 10:00 PM

Author Icon
Marty2Life
Peon

Originally posted by: Kahless_uk Starcraft (and many other games of it's generation) haven't ever worked on Windows Vista or Windows 7, it's because they use a now defunct version of direct draw which modern versions of windows do not have, modern video cards do not support and modern video card drivers simply do not include (in much the same way as they do not include support for old DOS games).

You can get Starcraft and most other direct draw games to run by using a simple direct draw wrapper, the same as you do to play old 3DFX games with a Glide wrapper.

There are several out there, some convert direct draw calls to OpenGL textures and render them that way (helpful for Linux users especially) others use Direct 3D.

Here are a couple that have worked for me getting Starcraft and Command and Conquor working

http://sol.gfxile.net/ddhack/

https://code.google.com/p/ddhack/

This really bullsh**... i ever read.

i have 800 plain pc games installed. From the Year 1995 at 2013. the 100 Plain direct Draw Games are Working. On Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Microsoft changes various things on the Direct Draw Source.

I tried all the Wrappers. the most work goes to WC3, C&C, Red Alert etc..

for the other 95% Direct Draw games the Wrappers doesnt work and if they are working the colors are broken with the new driver too. 50/50 Chance.

The Simplest Solution at 13.5 is to Turn off Aero, Turn off D3D Accel or Kill Explorer.

What the ***** has Amd/Ati changes after 13.5?

I use 13.1 and all the Direct Draw Games are working and modern games too. Call Of Duty Ghosts etc..

11/29/2013 12:46 PM

Author Icon
Kahless_uk
Peon

Originally posted by: Marty2Life

What the ***** has Amd/Ati changes after 13.5?

At a guess, they changed (or removed) the old direct draw support which would explain the problem wouldn't it.

As for the wrappers not working, you are right that CnC gets more of the love from their developers than Starcraft, but you'll notice that many of these wrappers are configurable, changing the abstraction layer from GDI to OpenGL can sometimes fix the problem (or vice versa if the wrapper supports it) also setting the resolution to match the one used by the game, changing colour bit depth can help too.

I can't get ANY direct draw app that uses a 256 colour pallette without a wrapper (or winxp mode which works quite well with games that do not use 3d hardware) and I haven't ever since I got this computer with win 7 64 on it, the computer I had prior to this one used XP so didn't have this problem.

In all honestly expecting backwards compatibility in 2013 isn't going to do you any favours, our operating systems no longer support fundamental things like DOS or 16bit code and our video hardware is designed to handle complex Directx 11 pixel shader operations rather than rely on old school sheer grunt like the older games want them to. People like myself (and yourself too clearly) who enjoy retro gaming are becoming increasingly reliant on emulators and code wrappers and this trend will only increase the further towards modernity our computers get. The same is even true of consoles nowadays too, the PS2 for example played PS1 games and the 360 played (some) Xbox games but neither of Sony's or M$'s new beasts do (albeit without streaming them from online servers) it's just part of the endless march of progress, new sells, old doesn't so it's simply not in AMD's best business interest to mess about putting old backwards compatible tech into their newest and most powerful hardware and drivers.

It's sad, but true.

12/07/2013 12:16 PM

Author Icon
Kahless_uk
Peon

Appears to have been fixed in the latest beta 13.11beta9.5 although I can't say for sure as I'm still using the functioning wrapper.

12/22/2013 05:43 AM

Author Icon
panisch
Peon

Originally posted by: Kahless_uk Appears to have been fixed in the latest beta 13.11beta9.5 although I can't say for sure as I'm still using the functioning wrapper.

I haven't been able to use Sony Vegas with an older driver and with the newer ones my BW has these color issues.

Now i can confirm that the 13.11beta9.5 fixes the colors and i can use Sony Vegas.

Just adding this for everyone still having issues. No wrappers or anything else running.

02/12/2014 05:01 AM

Author Icon
Murphfix
Peon

Unfortunately, I still have colour issue and even latest WHQL drivers didn't fix this.

Starcraft BW (v 1.16.1) - Catalyst 13.12; Windows 7 SP1 x64, Radeon HD 5770.

Statistics
84726 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.