Topic Title: OpenGL game LOW FPS issue
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/17/2013 12:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/27/2013 12:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

You seem to be missing a very important point, which is that GPU clocks do not go up unless they need to.  It is simply not the case that beginning a 3D render automatically makes the clock speed jump to max.

In this case, you're using a modern graphics card to render with a very old game engine at a very low resolution.  Your GPU usage is very low, though it spikes a bit when loading a map (complete with a clock speed jump).  Your CPU usage is maxed out (50% means you have one or two threads running at maximum speed).

That's a textbook case of the GPU being bottlenecked by the CPU.  Put simply, the GPU does not have to even raise its clock speed to keep up with the best speed that the CPU can manage.

It does seem a touch odd that such an old engine takes up that much CPU power, but that's what's happening, no doubt in large part due to the number of bots.  You are not rendering on the CPU at all.

To summarize, you don't seem to be having any sort of malfunction at all.  The game in question is running as fast as your hardware can support.

09/27/2013 06:06 AM

Author Icon
12oad
Peon

this has to be the smartest reply i've seen on this Forum )) 

Look m8,.. thank you and everybody who is helping me.. But lets look a different point of view if you cant see the obvious.. A logic question: If the game struggles to get 90-100fps (125 is limit), then why doesnt the core/memory clocks activate so they can help me reach 125fps ?

Thanny wrote: The game in question is running as fast as your hardware can support.

- lmao, quake 3 runs 125fps stable&smooth on a pentium III 500mhz, 128mb agp video card.

ps: also im currently contacting with AMD tech support. Very slow, but we making progress. People without problems cannot believe/help other people with problems. Amen

Thanny wrote: your blanket statement about old OpenGL games with AMD is clearly nonsense.

1 more thing.. if you're not 100% sure in what you're talking about, dont prove me anything, because you might end up looking stupid at the end of the day

Edited: 09/27/2013 at 06:29 AM by 12oad
 09/27/2013 10:35 AM

Author Icon
12oad
Peon

Ok at this final point AMD tech support said there's nothing more they can do. The results after the new driver are:

- 28-30% cpu usage instead of 55%

- in hard scenes with alot of spam, fps doesnt drop below 115fps, and mainly stays 125-124 ... more stable

- I've noticed before this driver,from ingame options, i had like 4-10 GL extensions. Now i'm having 266 GL extensions

- the core/memory clocks idle as before, but thats quake3..i should test it in quakelive 

Download link for Driver: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/AMD_Catalyst_Win8.1_Release_Preview_V2-13.15.100.1.exe

Edited: 09/27/2013 at 11:51 AM by 12oad
 09/28/2013 02:22 AM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

I assure you, I'm not looking stupid here.  For AMD to be rendering using the CPU, they'd have to create a virtual 3D graphics card, much like what was done for Tomb Raider III.  I think it'd be rather absurd for a graphics card company to just throw something like that into a driver for their real physical card.

I certainly find it unusual that a Quake III Arena derivative would require so much CPU power on a modern processor, but it's clear that that's what's happening.  I very much doubt it uses more than a single thread, so anything at about 25% or 50% would indicate maximum capacity, depending on exactly how Windows 7 reports CPU usage for two AMD Bulldozer modules, which is something I don't know.

This question:

Originally posted by: 12oadA logic question: If the game struggles to get 90-100fps (125 is limit), then why doesnt the core/memory clocks activate so they can help me reach 125fps ?

Shows that you didn't understand anything I wrote.  The CPU can only feed the GPU those 90-100 frames per second, and the GPU can easily render them (given the low resolution and simplicity of the game engine) without having to even raise the clock rate. 

Raise the CPU clock speed, and the frame rate will go up.  The GPU might even have to bump the clock speeds to keep up.

But above all else, educate yourself on the the Dunning-Kruger effect, then ponder the signifance of the confidence you have in your own correctness.

AMD Support and Game » Games and Applications Help » OpenGL game LOW FPS issue

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
85319 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.