Topic Title: Battlefield 4 - Non paged memory leak
Topic Summary: Memory leak causes game stutter / crash
Created On: 10/31/2013 03:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/03/2013 11:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
WoodroweBones
Peon

Wow... new beta driver comes out and no mention of the massive memory leak issue in BF4. That might do it for me... having graphic glitches/corruption or missing the Overdrive is one thing... but not being able to actually the use the card for its purpose and play a game is just ridiculous. Might have to go green...

12/03/2013 11:44 PM

Author Icon
TEEVOE
Peon

"I know XXX people that aren't having this problem...." 

Right, so therefore the problem can't possibly exist...hardly scientific. Read all of the threads, do the math. This problem is real. I have spent hours trying to track the exact series of steps that causes the problem to occur but have given up. The primary reason I've given up is that I have a real job. It is not my job to track this down for AMD. If they wanted me to help them they would have acknowledged the problem by now and let me know how specifically I could help. I'd have been happy to do anything (even allow them to monitor my PC) to capture state information at various stages to help pinpoint a reproducable scenario. At the end of the day though they have said nothing....more on that later...

This memory leak has been traced back to an ATI/AMD specific file people! This IS an AMD driver issue: 

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4689663

If you know people using AMD series 5 and 6 cards who are not having this problem then congratulations, you happen to have some friends, maybe even a lot of them, who have by chance not stumbled upon the correct series of variables that cause this issue to manifest. How awesome you are to know those people!!! You make great choices and probably look great in a cardigan as well!

The fact that this has reached this point, more than a month after launch, with no official word from AMD is really remarkable considering the joint marketing that was done for this game. That being said I have found a solution: 

My MSI Nivida GEForce GTX 760 will be here in 2 days

Next up, the motherboard replacement which will send the AMD CPU into the trash along with my HD Radeon 5770. At the rate the communication is coming at us from AMD, I would suggest that you all do the same.

12/04/2013 09:02 AM

Author Icon
WoodroweBones
Peon

The workaround for now is simply to run the game in Windows 7 compatability mode however when running in that mode I get the odd audio loop/freeze that requires me to force close the game.

I am also extremely disappointed by the complete lack of acknowledgement in either camp (DICE is no better and hasnt said a peep about it either). At the end of the day I want a card that will work without me playing around with things for almost a month. Its starting to look like Nvidia is the way to go if thats what I want

12/04/2013 10:07 AM

Author Icon
TEEVOE
Peon

The various compatability mode "workarounds" do not work for everyone. Chances are, they aren't really fixing the problem at all but rather the specific conditions for the leak condition just haven't been met yet. Just this morning with compatability mode enabled, and using the x86 executable (both as many people have suggested) I had my non-paged pool jump from 180 MB to 5 GB within 1 1/2 maps of play, not even 30 minutes. This was following a fresh reboot. 

EDIT: Just for the record, I have the Windows Driver Kit installed on my machine and ran Poolmon.exe to see what was taking up all of the space in the non-paged pool. Just like the gentlman that posted in the thread I linked earlier, it was the MINI tag with more than 5GB. The MINI tag traces back to atikmdag.sys which is part of the AMD driver set. 

Edited: 12/04/2013 at 11:00 AM by TEEVOE
 12/04/2013 11:23 AM

Author Icon
WoodroweBones
Peon

Originally posted by: TEEVOE The various compatability mode "workarounds" do not work for everyone. Chances are, they aren't really fixing the problem at all but rather the specific conditions for the leak condition just haven't been met yet. Just this morning with compatability mode enabled, and using the x86 executable (both as many people have suggested) I had my non-paged pool jump from 180 MB to 5 GB within 1 1/2 maps of play, not even 30 minutes. This was following a fresh reboot. 

EDIT: Just for the record, I have the Windows Driver Kit installed on my machine and ran Poolmon.exe to see what was taking up all of the space in the non-paged pool. Just like the gentlman that posted in the thread I linked earlier, it was the MINI tag with more than 5GB. The MINI tag traces back to atikmdag.sys which is part of the AMD driver set. 

Hmmm. Interesting. I only turned on Windows 7 compatibility mode a couple days ago but have since had "leak-free" gaming. My thoery was that the issue involved DirectX 11.1. Windows 7 mode should force the game to use DirectX 11 instead. I will try and get some gaming in today to further test

12/05/2013 08:52 AM

Author Icon
Wildebeest
Peon

It's now been over a month since we were told by Marc that AMD was addressing this issue at "the highest level possible". Is a fix still in the works?

As for the workarounds, I've seen five different suggestions on various forums. Unfortunetly none work for a lot of people including myself and lots of ancedotal evidence of these workarounds working is the result of the random nature of the memory leak. 

12/05/2013 10:41 AM

Author Icon
WoodroweBones
Peon

Originally posted by: Wildebeest It's now been over a month since we were told by Marc that AMD was addressing this issue at "the highest level possible". Is a fix still in the works?

As for the workarounds, I've seen five different suggestions on various forums. Unfortunetly none work for a lot of people including myself and lots of ancedotal evidence of these workarounds working is the result of the random nature of the memory leak. 

AMD acknowledged the issue? Can you point me to where they did so?

My current workaround (Windows 7 Compatibility Mode) definitely seems to stop the memory leak but I do get random freezing (audio looping) now. I have to End Task on BF4.exe to get things going again but dont have to restart my computer. The map I had the most issues with last night I believe was Paracel Storm on Domination

12/05/2013 10:43 AM

Author Icon
lokeas
Peon

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/INFO-REQUEST-NP-Pool-Memoryleak-PC-only-updated-Dec-5/td-p/1951455/highlight/false

12/05/2013 06:33 PM

Author Icon
WoodroweBones
Peon

Well its up at rage3d.com http://www.rage3d.com/

Hopefully that means it is getting some attention from AMD as well now

12/05/2013 08:48 PM

Author Icon
Wildebeest
Peon

Yeah, someone from customer service said this on the first page of the thread on 11/4.

Originally posted by: Marc@AMD I know that AMD is aware of this memory-leak issue in Battlefield 4, and it is being addressed at the highest priority possible.

;Marc

Very nice to hear the both DICE and AMD are working on the problem now even if this was a game released in October *facepalm*.

Edited: 12/05/2013 at 09:11 PM by Wildebeest
 12/07/2013 07:34 AM

Author Icon
KickMy4ss
Peon

I had the same problem.Try Catalyst 13.9 in my opinion all beta 13.11 causing this problem with HD6xxx and Win8.1.I tested every beta driver all night.In may case return to 13.9 is only solucion.

12/09/2013 04:49 PM

Author Icon
carbonic
Peon

So, considering this is an AMD forum, will AMD give some feedback?

12/09/2013 05:05 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: carbonic So, considering this is an AMD forum, will AMD give some feedback?

This is really a peer-to-peer gaming support forum. You should send in a issue report form that goes to AMD technical support.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

12/11/2013 09:35 AM

Author Icon
Ray@AMD
Forum Moderator

Just a short update.

We continue to work closely with DICE to find a solution to this problem.

AMD Customer Care

The information presented here is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

12/11/2013 01:04 PM

Author Icon
WoodroweBones
Peon

Originally posted by: Ray@AMD Just a short update.

That is great to hear. A little communication goes a long way and its great hearing that you are actively working on this issue.

Thanks!

12/11/2013 11:41 PM

Author Icon
abohamed
Grinding Levels

thats great to hear ... i just hope you guys do the same thing with UBISOFT to make AC4 ( and all UBISOFT AnvilNext Engine games ) run as perfect as possible for AMD users ... thanks

Asus EAH 5770 CU core , Intel i7 3770 @ 3.90 GHz 8M Cache , GA P75-D3 , Corsair 8 GB DDR3 RAM , Cooler master extreme 500 W PSU , Win 8.1 64 bit enterprise

Edited: 12/12/2013 at 12:12 AM by abohamed
 12/16/2013 09:54 AM

Author Icon
WoodroweBones
Peon

Well according to the sticky post on the BF4 AnswerHQ forum AMD is now deeming this problem as solved by a patch from DICE. http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/INFO-REQUEST-NP-Pool-Memoryleak-PC-only-updated-Dec-16/td-p/1951455 (see update #5).

The odd part is that at no point ever has anyone said this issue was fixed for them so I guess they assume our lack of complaining (i.e. patience) means its fixed. I'm also curious as to where they are looking as there are still threads growing in size daily on the BF4 forums regarding the issue.

I'm just about at the end of my rope. I got lucky and ran into some extra money recently that was going to go towards a new motherboard/CPU but I think I may just grab myself a new Nvidia GPU. Now I feel like a jerk for having always recommended AMD to all my friends

12/16/2013 09:59 AM

Author Icon
carbonic
Peon

Yup, that was me writing that on AnswersHQ. I got the mail today and I just act on whatever the (rare) newest info I get. It might be a case of the head not knowing what the tail is doing, but it's still not promising.

12/16/2013 08:33 PM

Author Icon
Xman63
Peon

As of the 12/16 bf4 dice patch, the memory leak is DEFINATELY NOT FIXED on my 6970. Just to let you know. Several posters here I am sure would be glad to send you any info needed.

12/17/2013 11:33 PM

Author Icon
thecodemonk
Peon

Originally posted by: Xman63

As of the 12/16 bf4 dice patch, the memory leak is DEFINATELY NOT FIXED on my 6970. Just to let you know. Several posters here I am sure would be glad to send you any info needed.

I have a 6850 and it's definitely NOT fixed. I just played for the last 2 hours and ended up with 15.1 of 16 gig of ram used AND I AM PLAYING IN 32BIT MODE! If the game is playing in 32bit mode, it's highly improbable that it's an issue with BF4, but in the AMD drivers since they are loaded in 64bit mode.

This is getting ridiculous and is securing AMD's future in my next build... There is no way I'm going to be using AMD cards if these issues can't be fixed quickly. I'm getting really tired of this. Every night I have to reboot when I'm not quite ready to quit.

AMD Support and Game » Games and Applications Help » Battlefield 4 - Non paged memory leak

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
85327 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.