Topic Title: Battlefield 4 - Non paged memory leak
Topic Summary: Memory leak causes game stutter / crash
Created On: 10/31/2013 03:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 3 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/11/2014 02:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
drypulse
Peon

any day you guys decide you wanna act like you give a ***** about customers and give us an update would be great.....

01/11/2014 03:23 PM

Author Icon
Straata
Peon

I have a Sapphire 290X, Win 7 64bit, 13.12 Driver and get the leaks as well (4GB of VRAM, 8GB DDR3, and 9+GB of PF used on crash), so it also happens outside W8 + 5000/6000 series cards. Im hoping they come up with solutions soon, as Im highly annoyed that I cannot play THE flagship title for the 290X at all.

01/13/2014 07:21 AM

Author Icon
bwat47
Peon

BF4 patch released today claims to have fixed this:

Various fixes for improving general stability
-Fixed a memory leak issue occurring after level shutdowns, which could result in a out-of-memory crash in longer play sessions
-Additional fix for the "sound loop" deadlock when running High/Ultra graphics settings
-Added a warning for using Legacy AMD drivers that were out of date
-Fixed a player feedback timing issue where blood was appearing before other damage indicators, and before damage was actually done
-Fixed a bug where players’ rank icons on the scoreboard would not be updated
-Fix for Asian users unable to start Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 on Windows 8.1
-Normalized repair rates across all vehicles.
-Fixed problem with killer health in kill card not being correctly updated (showing 100% health even though the soldier was hurt)
-Fix for friendly marker not always showing when needed to, resulting in players shooting team members
-Fixed a bug where a Main Battle Tank Coaxial HMG ammo box was occasionally blocking the driver’s camera
-Increased damage by 25% for the Stealth Jet 20mm cannons.
-Stealth Jets now have more similar handling attributes to each other. F35 & J-20 are slightly more agile, Su-50 is less agile.
-Attack Jets now have more similar handling attributes to each other, and all 3 are now slightly less agile than earlier
-Fixed camera glitch when switching weapons while moving in crouch
-Fixed an occasional bug where players could experience intermittent engine sound dropouts when driving wheeled IFVs
-Fix for player spawning under the map when deploying on Lancang Dam
-Fixed flickering in map and minimap on Rogue Transmission and Operation Locker

01/13/2014 08:04 PM

Author Icon
thecodemonk
Peon

There are already reports on EA's BF4 forum that it is not fixed. However, I've played a couple rounds and so far been ok, aside from a crash at the end of a round. I'm going to try to get in a server and go through all the maps without quitting and see what happens... If I can make it without just crashing to the desktop.

01/14/2014 09:01 AM

Author Icon
DunXel
Peon

On going issue.. Never seems to get better.

Specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus 990FX Sabertooth Mobo
16 GB DDR3 1600
AMD XFX Radeon 6970
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 128GB
Windows 8.1 x64 Pro

I've tried every driver AMD has released prior, during & after release of BF4 & Beta.  Nothing seems to help.  No other game has this issue just BF4.

I am getting to the end of my last nerv.  I may never go AMD again & i've been an AMD FanBoi as long as i can remember.  I don't care if it is the Dice\EA fault, AMD stamped their name ALL over this game and all i have to show for it is hours of countless crashes & memory leaks.  Support has been pure utter crap and I am rather tired of both companies.  Never will i buy another EA/Dice game day 1.  And I am very close to the same with AMD.

Game ran fine during Beta & the first 3-4 days of release.

Until this issue is resolved and atleast ACKNOWLEGED by the support..  I will be telling everyone to avoid AMD/AMD and just go Nvidia/Intel

This has gone on way to long.

01/14/2014 11:21 AM

Author Icon
Xman63
Peon

Originally posted by: thecodemonk There are already reports on EA's BF4 forum that it is not fixed. However, I've played a couple rounds and so far been ok, aside from a crash at the end of a round. I'm going to try to get in a server and go through all the maps without quitting and see what happens... If I can make it without just crashing to the desktop.

For me at least  I was able to cycle through all maps on a couple different servers in TDM and did't leak or soundloop crash. I was able to use the 64 bit exe also. Until then, this was impossible. 6970 win 8.1 13.12 wqhl.

01/14/2014 11:41 AM

Author Icon
Earnhardt
Case Modder

Originally posted by: DunXel On going issue.. Never seems to get better.

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Asus 990FX Sabertooth Mobo 16 GB DDR3 1600 AMD XFX Radeon 6970 OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 128GB Windows 8.1 x64 Pro I've tried every driver AMD has released prior, during & after release of BF4 & Beta.  Nothing seems to help.  No other game has this issue just BF4. I am getting to the end of my last nerv.  I may never go AMD again & i've been an AMD FanBoi as long as i can remember.  I don't care if it is the Dice\EA fault, AMD stamped their name ALL over this game and all i have to show for it is hours of countless crashes & memory leaks.  Support has been pure utter crap and I am rather tired of both companies.  Never will i buy another EA/Dice game day 1.  And I am very close to the same with AMD. Game ran fine during Beta & the first 3-4 days of release. Until this issue is resolved and atleast ACKNOWLEGED by the support..  I will be telling everyone to avoid AMD/AMD and just go Nvidia/Intel    This has gone on way to long.

You and i have almost identical setups(I was running crossfire 6950's,now crossfire 7950's),And i have been a long time AMD and BF player,the only difference is your on W8.

I know Its not a fix,but have you tried it with W7?

-------------------------

AMD Phenom II 1100t @4.0Ghz /Asus sabertooth 990fx/2x Gigabyte 3G 7950's in crossfire/500G samsung 840 ssd/16G G-Skill Ripjaw 1600/2-samsung 24" monitors 1920X1200/Corsair AX1200W psu/W7 pro 64,G19 keyboard,Roccat kone pure mouse,Cooler master HAF932,Corsair H100i water cooler,Zalman ram cooler.Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series,Logitech Z5500 speakers,Roccat Kave 5.1 headset.

01/14/2014 12:41 PM

Author Icon
DunXel
Peon

Originally posted by: Earnhardt
Originally posted by: DunXel On going issue.. Never seems to get better.

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Asus 990FX Sabertooth Mobo 16 GB DDR3 1600 AMD XFX Radeon 6970 OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 128GB Windows 8.1 x64 Pro I've tried every driver AMD has released prior, during & after release of BF4 & Beta.  Nothing seems to help.  No other game has this issue just BF4. I am getting to the end of my last nerv.  I may never go AMD again & i've been an AMD FanBoi as long as i can remember.  I don't care if it is the Dice\EA fault, AMD stamped their name ALL over this game and all i have to show for it is hours of countless crashes & memory leaks.  Support has been pure utter crap and I am rather tired of both companies.  Never will i buy another EA/Dice game day 1.  And I am very close to the same with AMD. Game ran fine during Beta & the first 3-4 days of release. Until this issue is resolved and atleast ACKNOWLEGED by the support..  I will be telling everyone to avoid AMD/AMD and just go Nvidia/Intel    This has gone on way to long.

You and i have almost identical setups(I was running crossfire 6950's,now crossfire 7950's),And i have been a long time AMD and BF player,the only difference is your on W8.

I know Its not a fix,but have you tried it with W7?

I refuse to downgrade my system for 1 game.  This game was designed and bragged all over the media outlets.

"Windows 8!" & "AMD!"  ZOMG "Windows 8.1!"
If the only way to play this game is using Windows 7 or Nvidia..  Both companies need their names dragged through the MUD by every Media Outlet.

01/14/2014 10:34 PM

Author Icon
thecodemonk
Peon

Confirmed tonight the issue still exists. Installed 13.12 driver, played a few rounds, exited, joined another server and played 3 rounds of rush. On the 3rd round, which was Zavod 311, half way through the game started stuttering really bad. Open tasked manager and 15.6 GB of 16 is being used. Ran Poolmon and there it is again, MINI at the top with 12 GIG of memory being used, even after closing BF4.

I have responded to the emails AMD sent me saying this is "fixed" by Dice. The problem I have is they keep saying these memory leaks are happening during the round end and loading the next round. That was NEVER my issue. Going into the next round, my game was working just fine. It's only DURING the round that it starts to stutter and go to crap.

01/20/2014 06:35 PM

Author Icon
thecodemonk
Peon

Bump

01/26/2014 10:03 PM

Author Icon
thecodemonk
Peon

Bump again. Just happened yet again in x86 windows 7 compat mode... AMD, you really need to address this.

01/29/2014 08:04 PM

Author Icon
BF2_SCARAB
Peon

Found this thread via Google search.  Ever since the last patch release for BF4 on January 14th, I've had repeated crashes.  For what it's worth, I've narrowed the problem down to a memory leak, but it's not consistent.

I'm experience at least 2 to 3 crashes per evening, so I reboot.  On occasion, I can play for quite a few maps, so I'm wondering if it's BF4 code or AMD, or a combination of both.

Previously I had been using the last of the Beta drivers with no issue.  After the 1st crash January 14, I updated to the latest final driver. Updated my BIOS, tried compatibility mode, and all the other recommended work arounds to no avail.

I just upgraded by CPU and my Motherboard, a 2 day experience with lots of surprises along the way.  I reinstalled my Radeon 6950, fired up BF4 and it crashed in less than 2 minutes time. 

I've been using Task Manager to monitor memory, and I seem to find up to 90% of my 16GB of RAM in use before the game freezes me out. When I'm running at 4GB out of 16GB, the game runs fine.

Reported the issue to AMD.  One might think or hope the "partnership" between EA and AMD should be enough to get this fixed quickly, but it's been 2 weeks now.

01/30/2014 11:58 PM

Author Icon
thecodemonk
Peon

Since the patch tonight, thought I would try to see if it's fixed. Nope. 3rd round about half way through, 15 gig of 16 gig used....

Still nothing from AMD. 

01/31/2014 07:22 AM

Author Icon
BF2_SCARAB
Peon

Yesterday I loaded up the new BF4 game patch released during the day, then completely reinstalled the most current 13.12 AMD Radeon graphics driver (I did a full uninstall first, then rebooted). 

Next, I slowed my 1600 memory speed down to 1333.

No memory leak but I got quite a few DirectX error/crashes that would freeze the game repeatedly.  Nothing I did worked, the DirectX freeze crash continued.

I've never tried overclocking my Radeon GPU, so I turned on OC, but only tweaked it for just a small 5% bump.

From that point on, I saw no memory leak (16GB system running roughly at 4GB or 25%), and no DirectX crashes.

None of this truly makes sense to me. Basically I slowed down the memory speed down, (counterintuitive) and slightly overclocked the GPU card (completely illogical).  

Granted, I have more testing to do, and I have to see tonight I can still play BF4 again without issues. 

Is it possible my physical 1600 memory isn't up to the original spec, something in the latest drivers/patches made my system more sensitive to I/O with stricter tolerances?  Perhaps the AMD Catalyst OC software does a better job of managing the I/O and crunching DirectX? I have no clue.

SPECS:
Windows 8.1 
XFX (AMD) RADEON 6950 GPU
AMD 8-core CPU (NEW)
ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard (NEW)
16GB RAM in 4 slots, 1600hz tuned down to 1333 via BIOS
AMD Catalyst GPU Driver and software to Overdrive/overclock GPU

In game, I tuned down BF4 video settings to Low for everything, and turned off the last 3 selections (can't remember them).  Honestly, I dont't notice any change in my screen, but I'm getting 70-90 frames per second.

01/31/2014 08:30 AM

Author Icon
thecodemonk
Peon

How many rounds did you play in a row when you tested each time? For me, it seems the 3rd round is always the one that messes up. It happens right in the middle of it.

I'm going to test more tonight and see if I can watch the memory allocations while the game is running. It's not easy since I don't have 2 monitors so I'm going to have to remotely watch it on my phone.

01/31/2014 08:55 AM

Author Icon
BF2_SCARAB
Peon

I haven't been able to finish a round in almost 2 weeks.  Most of the crashes occurred relatively early in the round for me, even as a commander on one occasion. 

I have 2 monitors, and at one point I even tried testing by disconnecting 1 of them. Last night I played 5 rounds without any problems, it was very weird. How sad is that?  LOL!

I leave Task Manager up on the other monitor to watch. Originally I was seeing 95%, so I'm hopeful that problem is behind me.  The memory never really jumped beyond 25% of capacity, so basically hovering around 4GB out of the 16GB installed the whole time.

The DirectX crashes have been more concerning for the last 2 weeks, I thought they were related to the memory leak.  Nothing worked to stop these issues until last night when I decided to overclock the board and slow the memory down.  Both ideas simply came from desparation really, I was out of options and hadn't tried either.   I assumed the system would crash hard again, but it did not. 

If you can imagine, I was on pins and needles just waiting for a crash, fully expecting the worse.  My CPU and GPU temps were fine throughout this entire ordeal.  I'm still stunned the game worked. 

That being said, I'm still skeptical.  I fully expect another crash coming tonight when I test again.  Slowing the memory down and gently overclocking my radeon 6950 just are not intuitive or logical to me as a fix.  If it is, then maybe I'll update memory and GPU at some point, but for now I have my fingers crossed.

01/31/2014 06:39 PM

Author Icon
BF2_SCARAB
Peon

I duplicated what I did last night. Slowed down memory, OC'd graphics card by 5%. 

I'm not able to stay in game for more than 1 minute again.  So I have no idea how I was able to play last night, but I'm back to square one.

"DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET ("The device failed due to a badly formed command. This is a run-time issue; The application should destroy and recreate the device.") GPU: "AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series", Driver: 13.12 (13.251-131206a-166389C-ATI)"

Lovely, simply lovely.

So I'm off to go try a few of these suggestions.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/Direct-X-Function-error-Solutions-Compilation/td-p/1741229

01/31/2014 07:14 PM

Author Icon
BF2_SCARAB
Peon

I'm playing now after option 2 on that EA link, and will run through all of them if I crash again.  Could it really be all of this crap starts with Origin, not BF4?  

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/Direct-X-Function-error-Solutions-Compilation/td-p/1741229

02/01/2014 12:33 PM

Author Icon
thecodemonk
Peon

I disabled origin in game, but honestly I don't remember when I did it. I don't remember if I did it before testing this last time or if I did it after I tested and had the memory leak. I will try it again...

02/01/2014 01:15 PM

Author Icon
snakey
Peon

did you tryed to add virtual memory ? 

-------------------------

FX-8350 @4.4GHz , MSI R7970 TF3 BE OC core@1100MHz memory@1500MHz, GB 990FXA-UD5 rev3.0, 8GB DDR3 @1866MHz

AMD Support and Game » Games and Applications Help » Battlefield 4 - Non paged memory leak

<< 3 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
86426 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.