Topic Title: Driver support frustration for simulation fans
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/23/2013 09:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/23/2013 09:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Thrindil
Peon

Hello, I'm here to leave my concern about the fact that AMD videocards underperform in certain games.
There's one in particular : rFactor 2 developped by Image Space Incorporated.
Nvidia cards have no problem running the game, while all AMD cards get half the fps of their Nvidia counterparts.
A lot of people in the ISI forums are concidering buying a Nvidia videocard.
I, and thousands of other people would like to see proper driver support for the game.
It's frustrating to see really.
Thanks for reading, and hopefully you listen to us.
Kind regards, Thrindil.

11/23/2013 09:45 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

MINIMUM:

CPU: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 or 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon x2
Memory: 2 GB
Video Card: nVidia 8600 GT or ATI/AMD 3850
Video Memory: 256MB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
DirectX: 9.0c
Storage: 4 GB

RECOMMENDED:

CPU: 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon II x2 or better
Memory: 4 GB+
Video Card: nVidia 250 GTS or ATI/AMD 4870 or better
Video Memory: 512MB+
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista 64bit, Windows 7 64bit
Storage: 4 GB+

Note: 2008 C++ Runtimes SP1 required (included with installer)

Very mediocre recommended requirements for a game which is still being developed.

-------------------------
AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 11/23/2013 01:49 PM

Author Icon
Thrindil
Peon

Very mediocre recommended requirements for a game which is still being developed.

I have a HD 7870 and an I5 3750K.
I can run the game maxed at around 10 fps, while I hear people with a gtx 470 can max it with a 60fps minimum. 

It's a driver related problem for AMD, not a hardware or game related problem.

11/23/2013 03:12 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

Only a driver related problem if AMD wrote the game.  Game still in development, new engine, which means moving target. Bet you signed on for the lifetime deal. 

It needs to be reported via AMD Issue Report to have any chance of addressed by AMD.

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

11/23/2013 08:02 PM

Author Icon
Thrindil
Peon

Originally posted by: WMudrockJr Only a driver related problem if AMD wrote the game.  Game still in development, new engine, which means moving target. Bet you signed on for the lifetime deal. 

It needs to be reported via AMD Issue Report to have any chance of addressed by AMD.

Nvidia cards don't seem to have any problems running a game that's still in development, and that's frustrating.

I understand that it's risky to bring out a driver for a game in development, but it will be for ATLEAST 3 more years.

Most people , and I'm one of them, can't wait for 3 years or longer.

Where do I contact AMD directly about the issue?

and yes, I bought the lifetime version.

11/23/2013 08:18 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Thrindil
Originally posted by: WMudrockJr Only a driver related problem if AMD wrote the game.  Game still in development, new engine, which means moving target. Bet you signed on for the lifetime deal. 

Nvidia cards don't seem to have any problems running a game that's still in development, and that's frustrating.

I understand that it's risky to bring out a driver for a game in development, but it will be for ATLEAST 3 more years.

Most people , and I'm one of them, can't wait for 3 years or longer.

Where do I contact AMD directly about the issue?

and yes, I bought the lifetime version.

Issue report form...sticky at the top of the forum

http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=443

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

*  Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati *

11/23/2013 09:57 PM

Author Icon
Thrindil
Peon

Thanks, wasn't sure about where to post this thread.

I've sent them a ticket, although I don't think they will care much.

11/25/2013 12:10 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

Originally posted by: Thrindil

I'd like to just address this comment.  Let's look at an analogy. 

You're a web developer, and you're trying to create a page that looks good and functions correctly.  You write some formatting and code, then test it in a web browser.  Eventually, everything looks great and it works as expected.  But you've been using IE to test the page.  In other browsers, it looks horrible and nothing works.

Is the proper response in such a situation to praise IE and blame Firefox, Chrome, etc.?

Something very similar is clearly happening here.  The developers are using nVidia hardware, and you only see the code they've worked on after it began working correctly with the hardware used in development.  If they're not testing any builds with other hardware, it's hardly surprising that the builds don't work properly with that hardware.

And if the developers aren't even working with AMD, any actual driver bugs aren't going to be addressed.

11/25/2013 02:38 PM

Author Icon
Thrindil
Peon

The developpers said that they got in touch with AMD about the issue, and they say it's an issue on AMDs part. This was a few months back.

So you're saying that the developper is the wrong one here?

And because I'm curious, how can a developper prevent issues like these?

do they have to code 2 graphics engines, one for AMD and one for Nvidia?

11/27/2013 10:16 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

I don't have the code in front of me, and it'd take me a long time to figure it out even if I did, so I couldn't possibly adjudicate what's to blame for the problem.

Sometimes, however, right or wrong don't enter into it.  Sometimes you need to do things differently for a different GPU, because a chunk of code that works well here doesn't work well there, while another chunk of code does the reverse.

Every major game engine in existence will detect the hardware and do something at least slightly differently on different GPU brands.

It does sound like the developer isn't particularly interested in solving the problem, however.

11/27/2013 11:14 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Just like to note that a game developer will almost always say "it is an/a AMD/nVidia driver problem" because they cannot admit to their financiers and the public that they didn't do their jobs. Take games such as F1 2012 or any of the many other horrid console ports, or the original Crysis or Bioshock, the games ran like crap because they were coded like crap. Then you get cases like this where the developer doesn't care how their game runs as long as people buy it (see also: Ubisoft).

It is not supposed to be the place of drivers to be the main thing which improves performance. Issues such as corruption, flickering, and improved multiple GPU algorithms yes, but developers refining the code is where performance increases are supposed to come from.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
Statistics
87614 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.