Topic Title: Help with triple buffer and VSync
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/02/2013 01:02 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/02/2013 01:02 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Fando
Peon

When I play League of legends without Triple buffer and VSync I get about 80 fps max but they drop to 60 50 40 30 even 20 but when I use both VSync and Triple buffer I get 60 steady fps the only problem its that at random times my fps drop to the half 30 I know its beacuse the VSync but if I dont have it On I get unstable fps all the time what can I do???

12/02/2013 02:46 AM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

On line games such as LoL are prone to lag due to the nature of your internet connection. Ping, the server the game is running on, and the amoung of action at a given moment. LoL and WOW are both a bit notorious from what I've read on various forums.

V-sync will hold your fps at the refresh rate of your monitor as long as the system can produce a consistant frame rate well over the monitors refresh rate when V-sync is not in use, but it is not an fps lock.

If your system drops significantly below the refresh rate without V-sync fps will drop with V-sync on as well, perhaps more, as V-sync is somewhat system intensive (sucks up some VRAM I believe). It could help smooth out the drops that come from brief system lag by reducing resource use a bit on whatever it's not using itself, though     (cpu ? ). So in your case of getting up to 80fps it could help keep the lows a bit higher.

Triple Buffering is for Open GL, so is not supposed to be beneficial with D3D games, but some swear it works anyway. It was supposed to help those who suffered with mouse lag when using V-sync.

So, it comes down to the game as to whether you use V-sysnc, or Triple Buffering, or not. I tend to only use V-sync when there is tearing due to too high fps, or if I know my machine is going to run the game at, say 50+ fps over my monitors 120Hz refresh rate. I don't often notice lag unless I've tried settings that are too high for my machine, but not using an fps meter keeps me in a blissful state of ignorance, which may help with not noticing lag too .

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 03:21 AM by Dinwiddie
 12/02/2013 12:22 PM

Author Icon
Fando
Peon

Originally posted by: Dinwiddie On line games such as LoL are prone to lag due to the nature of your internet connection. Ping, the server the game is running on, and the amoung of action at a given moment. LoL and WOW are both a bit notorious from what I've read on various forums.

V-sync will hold your fps at the refresh rate of your monitor as long as the system can produce a consistant frame rate well over the monitors refresh rate when V-sync is not in use, but it is not an fps lock.

If your system drops significantly below the refresh rate without V-sync fps will drop with V-sync on as well, perhaps more, as V-sync is somewhat system intensive (sucks up some VRAM I believe). It could help smooth out the drops that come from brief system lag by reducing resource use a bit on whatever it's not using itself, though     (cpu ? ). So in your case of getting up to 80fps it could help keep the lows a bit higher.

Triple Buffering is for Open GL, so is not supposed to be beneficial with D3D games, but some swear it works anyway. It was supposed to help those who suffered with mouse lag when using V-sync.

So, it comes down to the game as to whether you use V-sysnc, or Triple Buffering, or not. I tend to only use V-sync when there is tearing due to too high fps, or if I know my machine is going to run the game at, say 50+ fps over my monitors 120Hz refresh rate. I don't often notice lag unless I've tried settings that are too high for my machine, but not using an fps meter keeps me in a blissful state of ignorance, which may help with not noticing lag too .

The thing is that I used to play just fine with 60 steady fps but some random day I just started getting the drops to the half I tried all setting but nothing worked these are my pc spec by the way

windows 8.1

AMD A8-4500 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (4 CPUs) 1.9GHz

8192MB RAM

Even if it isnt a super computer it used to gave me 60 fps all the time and by the side of League of legends they swear they dont have nothing to do with fps drops because they dont update any graphics in game that often

12/05/2013 02:55 AM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

Originally posted by: FandoThe thing is that I used to play just fine with 60 steady fps... some random day

Now he  tells us....  

While it may seem that way, PC's don't really do random. What changes did you make around the time LoL started having fps drops ? Software installs (which may be looking for updates while running in the background), drivers, Windows Updates, BIOS, other system/OS tweaks or changed settings ? Have you tried disabling your Anti-Virus ? Sometimes AV updates will slow various things down.

Edited: 12/05/2013 at 03:16 AM by Dinwiddie
Statistics
85459 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.