Topic Title: Driver Crashes in BF4 Only
Topic Summary: Specific Game Driver Crash
Created On: 12/02/2013 09:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/02/2013 09:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
benho
Peon

Graphics Card
-ASUS Radeon R9280x DCII TOP

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- Current Driver is 13.11 beta 9.4 and I have tried several of the other recent releases with the same crash
Operating System
64 bit Windows 7
Issue Details
Randomly in Battlefield 4 the game will freze and crash, I will have to alt tab and end the bf4.exe process to close the application.  When I go to event viewer it tells me that amdkmdap has stopped and successfully recovered.  This ONLY happens in battlefield 4 and not in other games such as DOTA 2 , or World of Warcraft.  Temperature of the card stays normal, and the card is seated properly.

I have all settings set to ULTRA except for Post Processing Quality(which gives me a weird issue not in game, but only at the settings menu, background gunfire and explosions seem to cause the screen to flash and flicker incorrectly.

Anti Aliasing Deferred is at 4x MSAA and Antialisaing Post is OFF.  Ambient Occlusion is set to HBAO.

The game is run in Borderless mode at 1920X1080 at 60hz because I am running 2 Monitors.

VSYNC is Off

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- ASUS Z87-A

Power Supply
Seasonic 850W Semi-Modular PSU

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
Samsung SyncMaster PX2370 (Main) and HANNSPREE HF199H (Secondary)

Applications and Games
Battlefield 4 Only (No other games)

CPU Details
Intel i5 4670K with no OC

System Memory Type & Amount
16GB DDR3 1600

Additional Details
I have looked on dozens of forums for fixes to driver crashes, and not only for crashes in bf4.  The game runs flawlessly (60+ frames) other than when it crashes, and the crashes are random, they could be 5 minutes into a map and continue multiple times for an hour, or I could play for 4 hours and it not occur.

I have tried repairing bf4, reinstalling bf4, turning origin off in game.  Running Origin in X64 and X86 modes.

On the Windows side I have completely deleted the display from Device Manager and all drivers, reinstalled the newest drivers, installed older versions and nothing seems to fix the problem.  I installed a microsoft "Fixit" that would allegedly change the timeout duration for the driver to help keep it from crashing, it still crashes.  I set the PCI express slot for Maximum Performance over Power Saving, and I am sure I am forgetting others. 

Furmark Burn in Test was good, max temp 78C and 60+ FPS at 1920X1080, I turned on MSAA 4X and max temp was 74C and ~30FPS. Both tests completed successfully and with no errors.

Troubleshooting has been difficult due to it being very difficult to reproduce, its been more of a "change something, then wait and see" situation.

I am at the point where I can't decide if it could even possibly be hardware, or if it's something in bf4, however if that were the case I would assume the issue would be more widespread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not know any other things to try.

EDIT: Changed settings to "HIGH"   with AA Deferred at 4x MSAA and AA Post at High with Ambient Occlusion at HBAO, Post Process Quality still at Medium because High or above causes some graphical issues at Deathcam/Menu Screens with Action in the background.  Game still Crashes.

The Post Process Quality setting at High or above issue, it almost looks like some kind of crappy "feature" ....bullets/explosions are very fuzzy and the screen flashes when they are visible.  Something that I would assume would be the opposite of what the setting was supposed to do?

I saw this option to fix BF4 Crashes, but was hesitant to edit Boot Configuration Data.  Could this fix the driver crash?

For Windows 7 or Vista Users:

Open command prompt by run as administrator
    Type bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500 and press enter
    Now restart your machine

Edited: 12/03/2013 at 12:52 AM by benho
 12/05/2013 06:46 PM

Author Icon
goatcrush
Peon

I have this same issue, except it is with DOTA 2.

will try to post specs later and what ive tried.

msi afterburner voltage tweaking is what im trying now 

btw i have an apu   that has   a radeon hd 8400 

12/05/2013 07:46 PM

Author Icon
benho
Peon

Yeah the version of my 280x is factory OCed to 1070mhz, I guess i could slide it back down to the original 1000, I just dont see that being the issue as it runs cool and shows no issues in Furmark.  

If it werent for the fact that the furmark ran fine several times I would almost go the RMA route, as none of my other games are as demanding as BF4, but the fact that the issue is limited completely to a specific program, and Furmark ran fine I have to believe that it's not hardware related.  Of course it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

I have seen some issues with HDMI Audio drivers causing video drivers to crash in other situations...could this be a possibility as well?  I don't use them and I may try reinstalling the drivers without those included

Edited: 12/05/2013 at 07:55 PM by benho
 12/05/2013 08:14 PM

Author Icon
goatcrush
Peon

you probably know more than i do, i am just amassing information via google and trying solutions.     

http://steamcommunity.com/app/570/discussions/0/864980734761117031/

this is a new PC for me   so the fact that i need to troubleshoot is rather unfortunate, but hopefully we can figure it out. i can at least affirm it isn't a faulty hardware issue.. 

12/08/2013 09:37 AM

Author Icon
Beernbourbon
Peon

mine crashes in BF4 and 3,   I cant work it out , plenty on google about the issue but no real fix as yet,

-------------------------
i7 4770k, G1 Sniper 5, corsair dominator 16GB, R9 290, Benq xl2720t
 12/12/2013 03:09 AM

Author Icon
Slenders
Peon

Hi,

I have somewhat the same problem.
Random crashes, which sometimes happen right at the start of a game, 5 minutes in a game, or even after an hour... very random.

I have tried a lot of things to, and i have found a fix.

I have absolutely NO idea why it works, but it does.
I have posted my solution on this forum, also to ask why this fixes the problem. But most of all, why do I have to do this everytime I reboot my PC... ?
I hope this helps, if not, can somebody explain to my why this works for me, or what i can do to get it working properly ?

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=443&threadid=169842

Greetings

Statistics
84130 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.