Topic Title: GPU LOad problems in Crysis 3
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/03/2013 08:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/03/2013 08:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TDmitry
Peon

Having a problems with Crysis 3 perfomance. As I can see from Afterburner statistics, problem is in GPU load.

So, my specs are Core 2 Quad Q9300 @3.4 GHz, Radeon HD 7950 @1100\1500, 6 GB DDR 2 @1066, CM SilentPro M2 620W, 1680x1050\60 Hz.

So about the situation: FPS and GPU load is unstable throughout game process. for example, in structures\hangars etc. everything's fine, I'm having 98% load and stable 45 - 70 FPS. 
But when it's coming to some "complex" scenes, like grass field in the start of the plot, GPU load falls to 56% and framerate to 14-18 FPS.

So what' the matter with this thing?

I'm having latest drivers, CCC 13.11 Beta 9.4. Voltages are fine, PSU gaining enough power to run all the system stable. Tried to overclock CPU to 3.7 GHz - not at all, it gave me some extra FPS, but I't obvious that CPU is fine. 

12/03/2013 07:12 PM

Author Icon
TDmitry
Peon

I didn't helped. Unfortunately.(

Maybe something else could help to solve this problem? At least, other's couped with it...as I understand it so far.

12/04/2013 12:57 AM

Author Icon
Andrey_Rybenkov
Nerfed

probably your CPU is not powerful enough for your GPU.

-------------------------

Athlon II X4 630@3360, MA770t-UD3, Sapphire HD7790 1GB, FSP ATX500R,  Win7-32 PAE 8GB, LG 32LN655V (HDMI) + Philips 222E (DVI->VGA), Catalyst 14.4 WHQL

12/04/2013 03:25 AM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

Maybe it's the mis-matched RAM ? Apparently people do get away with mis-matching, but try using (I assume/hope) the 2x2GB sticks.

12/04/2013 04:09 PM

Author Icon
TDmitry
Peon

Andrey_Rybenkov

???, ????? ??????, ???? ??????????. ??, ? 4770? ?? ?????????, ?? ? ???? ? ?????????? ?? ??, ????? ???? ????????. ? ??????? ?????????????? - 3.5 ???. ? ?? ??????????? ???? ?? ??????? ??? ?????? ???????

Dinwiddie

Nope, I think they perfectly mathcing themselves. tried 1 stick, duo-channel and quad channel, changed frequency to 800\667 MHz, changed bus speed. Not at all((

12/05/2013 03:07 AM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

Originally posted by: TDmitry

Nope, I think they perfectly mathcing themselves. tried 1 stick, duo-channel and quad channel, changed frequency to 800\667 MHz, changed bus speed. Not at all((

It was just a shot in the dark anyway if you are only getting the gpu use drop when moving to more complex scences, but -

Just to clarify - They are all the same brand and have the same speed, latency and voltage ?

Using only two sticks in dual channel (there is no quad channel mode with that cpu. Even with four slots populated it is dual channel, but with mis-match is will sometimes run in single channel mode anyway) mode does not help ?

Have you tried V-sync both on and off ?

Hmm - I thought there was another suggestion here before ?

12/05/2013 05:01 AM

Author Icon
TDmitry
Peon

Dinwiddie

Well, good question . No, they are not the same : 2 x 1 GB, Team Black Edition 1066 MHz, bought 2007 year, and then two years ago I've purschased 2x2 GB of Kingston HyperX Genesis. 

But on the other hand I don't have any problems in other games, apps etc. Only Crysis 3.  

mode does not help 

No

Have you tried V-sync both on and off 

Yep. Well, almost everything that I could do with the game, CCC and hardware I've did. At least what I've tried:

1 - Different Repacks of the game - no results. Different patches\@reloads. Even tried license. No result.

2. Tried to play on different settings. Also no result. Even with 1280x1024 on min. details it still near 28-35. Switching to Ultra reduces speed to 14-18

To Andrey, what I've tried to say:

No man, CPU is fine. Yeah, it not so powerfull and fast like 4770K, but still has 4 cores, 3.5 GHz and noice core architecture. So I don't think it has lack of power for games.

12/05/2013 05:25 AM

Author Icon
TDmitry
Peon

Ok, now I've set up some tests in the game. 

Situation: Grass field in second mission, with Big Turret Tower and three dead cephs. So what do we have:

Processor 3495 MHz, GPU 1000 MHz \ 1500 MHz memory. 

And It's !Obvious something strange happening with GPU. 

When i'm passing some tunnels, hangars, rooms, etc - everything that doesn't have complex objects and scenes, GPU loads to full 100% and I'm having 50 FPS and more. 

Here, in this mission, when I'm looking somewhere else exept field (see: sky, backgroung buildings, all together) - I'm having 100% GPU load and 54 FPS in field!

But, when it comes to pass through the field itself - the mission wnats me to pass it - FPS drops to 21, GPU load - to 65 - 45%. And that single chip, not Croosfire\SLI  

P.S. And one interesting moment: You know, that Crysis 3 pause menu somewhat "decorative", so you still can see the battle field and GPU still render 3D image.

So, I've admitted: when switching to Pause menu by the moment I'm looking\going through these hard scene with grass, FPS rises to 38 and GPU load to 89%. Swithcing menu off gives me seconds (2-3) of nice and smooth play with 36-38 FPS, then it all draws back. With 21 FPS and Microshutterings that worse than in times 2x7970 in Far Cry 3 a year ago..

MSI Afterburner

12/06/2013 09:40 AM

Author Icon
TDmitry
Peon

Ok, I've couped with mojaor part of the problem. Re-unstalles MSDN W7, seems everything's fine.

BUT, I can't fix Objects settings.

The matter is that I can run Crysis 3 in 1680x1050, everything MAXed out + 16xAF + 4xMSAA up to 49 FPS!   But only with turned Objects to medium *In advanced graphic settings) When I'm turning on High or Ultra Objects, it downgrades to 21 FPS. 

So, does somebody know what the hell is with Objects setting? Could you please tell me, cause I don't have any idea why does Objects smashes my perfomance heavier than MSAA? 

12/07/2013 12:39 PM

Author Icon
Kahless_uk
Peon

The Core 2 Quad Q9300 is below the recommended specs for Crysis 3 and barely scrapes the minimum if it wasn't for your overclock you probably wouldn't be able to run Crysis 3 at all.

Most likely explanation for the problems you're having with object detail will be down to your cpu struggling with the render thread during scenes with a lot of geometry, your gpu can only render things as quickly as your cpu tells it to and gpu use will drop when the render thread gets held up on your cpu. 

Have you tried running resource monitor on the cpu tab while playing? If you do look for moments when you see the gpu behavior you describe coinciding with your cpu use spiking either across all cores or particularly just one of them and if you see that you've got your answer.

Cryengine 3 is particularly cpu heavy and a lot of it is DX11 rendering overhead that you can't do much about other than reducing the complexity of the scenes in question, the grass you're talking about is a particular example since it's swaying int he wind and moving out of the player and npc's way is all cpu driven.

Statistics
88915 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.