Topic Title: Champions Online - Z-buffering issues
Topic Summary: Z-buffering on new drivers seems to be less precise, resulting in this game having unusual, flashy patches of sky-colors
Created On: 12/13/2013 02:43 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/13/2013 02:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bluhman
Peon

Graphics Card
I am currently using an R7-260X 2GBDDR5 OC card from Sapphire. In the past, I also used a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 Windforce card, and got this same issue.

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
On the current R7 card, I'm using Catalyst version 13.10 WHQL, from sapphires site. With the Gigabyte card, I used the 13.9 non-beta drivers.

Operating System
Windows 7 SP1, 64-bit.

Issue Details
In various locations in the game, certain surfaces will flicker between two different textures. Places I've seen it happen include on some alpha maps on floors, which is probably standard and an issue among all systems. However, the following graphical glitch, I can confirm, only happens with newer AMD cards I've used:

http://imgur.com/yUlbNrj

Here, on snowdrifts nearby a frozen river, certain spots along the ice and its shores would flash between standard looking snow and the flat color of the sky. An older AMD card I used (Radeon HD 4850) had no such problems in this particular instance.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
The computer I started with was a Dell Studio XPS 435 MT. The specific motherboard it uses is a Dell 0R849J.

Power Supply

Antec BP500W, which can put out up to ~216 watts (18 amps) on its 12v rail to the GPU. I seriously doubt power is an issue with the R7 card I'm using.

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
Dell ST2010 monitor, connected via VGA cable through DVI adapter. Have also tested on an older dell monitor through DVI/VGA and got the same issue.

Applications and Games

Just like I say in the thread name, this only seems to be an issue with Champions Online, which leads me to believe it's strictly a software issue - combined with the fact I used two different cards and got the same result.

CPU Details
Intel I7 2.67ghz card.

Motherboard BIOS Version
Dell version 1.1.4

System Memory Type & Amount
GDDR5, 8GB ram... Sorry, I'm not quite sure on the specifics.

Additional Hardware
2 CD/DVD drives, Bluetooth port, A single 512GB Western Digital hard drive... Again, sorry, I'll need to get back home to figure out the details.

Additional Details
Like I mentioned, I used 2 different AMD cards on this machine and got the same result. The oldest card, 4850, which has long run on legacy drivers, faced no such issue.

System is certainly clear of any viruses/malware. Only a couple of weeks ago, I sent the system in for a complete virus check and dust cleanout.

CPUID hardware monitor reports all components operating within safe temperature limits (neither CPU nor GPU get higher than ~65C; Past runnings, prior to dusting, have seen my CPU run as hot as 80C with no apparent incident, and the R7 card, in reviews, has reported it can stably run at up to 80C.)

All my research on the topic leads me to believe that some driver optimizations as of late (or my incompetence at installing drivers) caused some (usually harmless) reduction of precision in floating point positioning of polygons. In this case, some polygons on the river model were probably improperly rounded, resulting in color clashing between the snow and... Some unusual sky-colored object beneath it.

12/13/2013 02:49 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

...or it could be the in-game graphics settings vs AMD CCC settings. Did you make a profile for the game? Could you post a screenshot of your ingame graphics settings and your CCC settings?

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

12/13/2013 02:52 PM

Author Icon
Bluhman
Peon

The game has no custom settings in CCC. I've tried messing around with a ton of graphics settings both in CCC and in game, to no success.

I'll make sure to get a picture of the settings I'm using when I get home, though. I can't particularly spot any options that would alleviate the issue, since none seem to get at any z-buffering aspects.

12/13/2013 03:03 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Ok...also have you checked th game forum? There are quite a few posts for 'graphics issues".

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/search.php?searchid=33492531

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Statistics
86405 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.