Topic Title: FSX works only after re-installing Catalyst Control Centre everytime
Topic Summary: After re-booting pc - FSX stops working
Created On: 02/01/2014 06:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/01/2014 06:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zippy1
Peon

Hi guys,

I have a simple problem (hopefully) on FSX. I recently bought FSX and after installing I had a 'fatal error'. But then I downloaded the latest Catalyst Control Centre and FSX works like a dream.......until I restart my pc, then it stops and the 'fatal error' comes back. And to fix it, I just re-install CCC - and it come back perfect - what is causing this and how do I get around it??

Thanks,

Rich

Graphics Card
- include the specific brand & model AMD Radeon HD 5670
- if any over-clocking is being done then provide GPU & memory clocks, and the application used to over-clock. No

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- include driver version currently used, and version(s) tested previously Version 2013.1206.1603.28764 (downloaded 31st Jan 2014)

Operating System
- 32-bit/64-bit; Service Pack, etc.. Windowns 7 64-bit Service Pack 1
- include details about additional operating systems also tested n/a

Issue Details
- include specifics on symptoms, and steps to reproduce the issue 'fatal error' when loading Flight Sim X (with Excpansion Pack) - install cataylst control centre and it fixes it. But when I restart/shutdown PC then problem comes back. Only re-installing CCC everytime I want to run FSX fixes it.
- describe in detail the issue experienced as above, fatal error when loading FSX
- for 3D Games, please include details of your in-game graphics settings (ex: Anti-Aliasing, VSync, etc..) no anti-aliasing, 1680x1050 frame rate 40.
- links to videos or pictures that may demonstrate your issue n/a

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- include the specific brand & model (ex: DELL XPS 8500, or ASUS M4A88TD-V) Dell Inspiron 560 with a Intel core 2 Dup E8400 @ 3Ghz 6GB of RAM

Power Supply

- include specific brand & model with output wattage OCZ Stealth Stream 500W
- a link to the manufacturer’s product page with specifications, or a picture of the unit’s label is helpful n/a

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- include specific brand & model (ex:  DELL U2411) One stanard montor connected via standard cable into back of graphics card
- include specifics about any cables, adapters, splitters, hubs, used as above

Applications and Games

- list out all applications and games where the issue is occurring FSX
- include details about version or patch numbers FSX with Expansion Pack (Gold Edition)

CPU Details
- include model, speed, number of cores (ex: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Ed.) Intel Core 2 Dup E8400 @ 3GHZ
- if any over-clocking is being done provide details about it (ex: multiplier, voltages, clock speeds, and the application used to over-clock) n/a

Motherboard BIOS Version
- the BIOS version is displayed as soon as your system is powered on (ex: ASUS BIOS 1015) unknown

System Memory Type & Amount
- include specific brand & model Dell 6GB

Additional Hardware
- include specifics about the harddrive(s) used (ex: SSD boot drive), # of case fans, optical drives installed, or any additional PCI, or PCIe devices installed None

Additional Details
- include information about any system checks that have already been done to ensure the system is clean of viruses, spyware, etc.. dowloanded all latest Microsoft updates, removed joystick drivers to see if that was causing any problems.
- include information about any checks that have already been done to ensure hardware is not faulty. (ex: hardware swaps, Prime95 for CPU testing, Memtest86 for memory testing) all working fine

02/07/2014 01:04 AM

Author Icon
Raydell
Peon

I don't have FSX but this sounds like a problem I had with a program called ASUS Gamer OSD interfering with my ATI drivers. I had to reinstall the drivers after every reboot until I found the culprit and removed this program. It's not a virus, just an outdated piece of graphical enhancement software.

Check your Control Panel --> Programs and Features list and see if you have ASUS Gamer OSD installed. If you do, uninstall it, reinstall your ATI drivers and reboot. Your drivers should load properly afterwards without the need for reinstallation on every reboot.

Of course there may be other programs conflicting with video drivers in a similar way so even if you don't have this ASUS Gamer OSD, it's worth taking a look at what programs you have running that may have something to do with graphical performance. For instance the Gamer OSD was actually meant to be a graphical performance enhancer but it became obsolete and incompatible with newer drivers/cards, ending up destroying graphical performance instead by messing up the driver boot.

02/07/2014 05:22 PM

Author Icon
zippy1
Peon

Hmmmm interesting.....I do have this Gamer OSD installed. I'll remove it and reinstall the ATI drivers as suggested and see how I get on......thanks!

02/09/2014 06:59 AM

Author Icon
zippy1
Peon

Thanks Raydell - it's fixed!!

I didn't relaise that Gamer OSD and Smart Doctor were still running - so deleted them both, re-installed ATI CCC and it works after every re-boot!

Thanks for your help!!

Regards,

Rich

02/09/2014 08:16 AM

Author Icon
Raydell
Peon

I'm very happy to hear it helped!

As a pleasant side-effect, you might notice improved graphical performance in your other games as well since the driver malfunction caused by the Gamer OSD potentially affected many of the programs that utilised your video card, even if they didn't crash like FSX, many of them may have had reduced fps relative to what your card is capable of.

Edited: 02/09/2014 at 08:24 AM by Raydell
Statistics
84907 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.