Topic Title: R9 290x - Low Frame Rates in World of Warcraft
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/26/2014 08:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/26/2014 08:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Foley130
Peon

Hello! When playing WoW i get awful framerates, sometimes they drop to as low as 15 FPS in the middle of raids. I am using the latest driver from AMD, windows is up to date, proper ventalation, addons are all updated. When im running around i average around 60 FPS which isnt bad, but for the rig i have i should be getting more I have been seeing other people report problems with the 290x.

Current specs are as follows

Now i can play BF4 on ultra settings and it is buttery smooth which leads me to believe this is a driver problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you know how to fix it?
 02/26/2014 09:00 AM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

That sounds a lot like a CPU bottleneck.  When performance drops with tons of actors on screen (whether other humans or bots), that's typically what that means.  I don't do WoW, however, so I'm speculating from the general case.

Look at CPU usage for the process when this happens.  If the game is essentially single-threaded, then a bottleneck would be 12.5% overall CPU usage (100% of a single core).

02/26/2014 09:03 AM

Author Icon
Foley130
Peon

Will do Thanny, is there any way to resolve this should this be the case?

02/27/2014 12:01 PM

Author Icon
Foley130
Peon

So i looked at the cores (sorry about not knowing how)

I can see that Cores #1 and #3 are being used at around 25%with the other 6 being used at ~10%. Total CPU usage is no more than 30%. 

I have flashed my BIOS, Checked the temperatures, disabled queit and cool, disabled the 4 logical cores, updated my driver to the latest from Saphire, uninstalled, installed the latest beta graphics driver from AMD. 

I have also tried all of the troubleshooting suggested by Blizzard both, simple, and advanced. I have also looked into setting the Cvar affinity mask to match what CPU i have > still nothing. When sitting there and doing nothing i get 50FPS on ultra, but in a raid with 25 i get around 10-15.

02/28/2014 09:16 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

Total CPU usage of 30% means more than 100% on two threads.  Unless WoW uses more than two threads for real work, that probably indicates you're CPU bound.

You can try setting affinity to only two cores and see if that reduces performance.  If it doesn't, then it's only using two real work threads.  If it does, then there might be something else going on.

Statistics
88947 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.