Topic Title: Dual Monitors
Topic Summary: Running Programs on different Monitors
Created On: 03/21/2014 03:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/21/2014 03:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kingdurin
Peon

OK, I have a a AMD HD 7700 using a DVI output to my monitor and a HDMI to my TV.  The monitor is set up as my main display and seems to show everything just fine, but the TV is only showing the image of my wallpaper.  I have figured out that I can start a program such as WMP or other video display programs and then drag the window to the TV to have the image show up there, but the sound does not seem to transfer with the video.  I am still hearing the sound from my desktop speakers, but no sound at all from the TV. 

What I am trying to do is to run a program to watch movies from my computer, to have the image and sound sent to the TV through the HDMI cable while still being able to use the computer monitor to run other programs, to search the web or what ever.

I don't see an option in any of the programs where the default viewing screen can be set up to either monitor 1 or 2, so I am ok with just dragging the program to the TV window, but shouldn't the sound automatically carry through over the HDMI cable? or is this something that needs to be configured through audio options through windows?

Could use some help

03/21/2014 04:03 PM

Author Icon
kingdurin
Peon

More information, hopefully it is helpful...

I went to the AMD CCC and clicked the audio tab, for monitor #1 which is the TV there are a series of "speaker" symbols on the bottom that are blue, and I am guessing these are the computer speakers, and there are a series of "TV" icons which are greyed out, and I am guessing that these would be the audio options to get my sound to play through the TV's speaker system rather than the computers, but they are all greyed out.

I can right click on the TV icons which are greyed out, and open the "windows sound panel" and from there, it allows me to test the sound, to ensure the speakers are working.  When using the Windows sound panel, the sound test does come through my TV speakers as I expect it would, but there still doesn't seem to be an option for me to be able to select one of the "tv icons" which are all greyed out, to be the default audio.

03/22/2014 09:24 AM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

By default every application will try to use the primary monitor/default audio playback device. MPC-HC video player handles multimonitor setups quite well, it full screens on the monitor the player is currently in or you can customize it to always full screen on a specific screen. It also lets you select audio playback device so the sound comes through TV, but everything else still uses your desktop speakers. 

-------------------------
Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 04/03/2014 12:43 AM

Author Icon
borislavbaros
Peon

Dual monitors allows you to greatly expand your computer workspace. Two monitors are always betters than one, especially when it comes to gaming.

< DO NOT ADD LINKS ADVERTISING PRODUCTS OR SERVICES TO YOUR POSTS>

Edited: 04/04/2014 at 09:11 AM by AMD Support and Game Moderator
 04/06/2014 01:53 PM

Author Icon
Hammey
Grinding Levels

Hi forget the Amd or Nvidia software. Right click the desktop choose screen resolution. Set it there to extend desktop. Any program you open will at first use the main screen once you drag that program to the other screen once you close it on that second monitor the next time you open it it will open on the second monitor.

-------------------------
MSI Mpower Max, I7-4770K, MSI GTX 780 Lightning, G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB DDR3-2400, 2X Kingston HyperX 3K 480GB , 1Tb Raptor, Creative ZXR Sound, 1000 watt Coolermaster Single 80 amp Rail, G700s Mouse, Z5500 Speakers
Statistics
84848 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.