Topic Title: Current AMD/ATI catalyst drivers support for DirectX9.0c base games/applications ?
Topic Summary: 3D Accelerated Hardware driver support for Directx9.0c game i.e. XWing Alliance ?
Created On: 04/29/2014 05:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/29/2014 05:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bman4
Peon

CPUs:  AMD Athlon II Dual Core x2 250

Motherboard:   AsusTeK M4A88T-M

System RAM: 8Gb total

Video Card:  (AMD) ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 5670

O/S: Windows Pro 8.1 64-Bit  (DirectX ver. 11)

I have just upgraded from Windows XP Pro 32-Bit O/S (SP3) using ATI Catalyst Driver ver. 8.930.0.0  12/05/2011 at the time,  to the new Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit O/S.

Before upgrading to Windows 8.1,  I was able to run LA/TG's "Xwing Alliance" flightsimulation game flawlessly with "ddraw.dll" file in the game's main XWA directory.  When using the current ATI driver packages with Windows 8,  the XWA game engine no longer uses "Primary Display Adapter 3D Accelerated Hardware Mode (with or without Mipmapping enabled) but defaults to Software Mode only which looks horrible.

The oldest ATI Catalyst driver package 12.10 (October 2012) for Windows 8 partially works in a very limited way, but I get frequently black screens with no display of moving 3D craft objects.   The game engine is 16/32 bit application.  Used a custom .msi installer with no problems.  Just the D3D DirectX9 drivers (in-flight) rendering seem to be the issue.   Is there a work around or future driver patch for backwards compatiblity of older classic DirectX applications?  Rather frustrating.  Thanks!

05/01/2014 09:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

64-bit Windows has no support for 16-bit code.  If anything in that game used a 16-bit code path, it will not run natively in 64-bit Windows.

You could try VirtualBox and its partial support for Direct3D.  That would entail creating a virtual XP install, and running the game inside that.

Statistics
87466 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.