Topic Title: Current AMD/ATI catalyst drivers support for DirectX9.0c base games/applications ?
Topic Summary: 3D Accelerated Hardware driver support for Directx9.0c game i.e. XWing Alliance ?
Created On: 04/29/2014 05:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/29/2014 05:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bman4
Peon

CPUs:  AMD Athlon II Dual Core x2 250

Motherboard:   AsusTeK M4A88T-M

System RAM: 8Gb total

Video Card:  (AMD) ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 5670

O/S: Windows Pro 8.1 64-Bit  (DirectX ver. 11)

I have just upgraded from Windows XP Pro 32-Bit O/S (SP3) using ATI Catalyst Driver ver. 8.930.0.0  12/05/2011 at the time,  to the new Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit O/S.

Before upgrading to Windows 8.1,  I was able to run LA/TG's "Xwing Alliance" flightsimulation game flawlessly with "ddraw.dll" file in the game's main XWA directory.  When using the current ATI driver packages with Windows 8,  the XWA game engine no longer uses "Primary Display Adapter 3D Accelerated Hardware Mode (with or without Mipmapping enabled) but defaults to Software Mode only which looks horrible.

The oldest ATI Catalyst driver package 12.10 (October 2012) for Windows 8 partially works in a very limited way, but I get frequently black screens with no display of moving 3D craft objects.   The game engine is 16/32 bit application.  Used a custom .msi installer with no problems.  Just the D3D DirectX9 drivers (in-flight) rendering seem to be the issue.   Is there a work around or future driver patch for backwards compatiblity of older classic DirectX applications?  Rather frustrating.  Thanks!

05/01/2014 09:50 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

64-bit Windows has no support for 16-bit code.  If anything in that game used a 16-bit code path, it will not run natively in 64-bit Windows.

You could try VirtualBox and its partial support for Direct3D.  That would entail creating a virtual XP install, and running the game inside that.

04/22/2015 10:59 PM

Author Icon
el_flesh
Peon

Great. Since I have the same issue, how do i do that? 

Also, how hard would it be for AMD to make a patch for this anyways, so that loads of PAYING CUSTOMERS don't have to do all kinds of gymnastics to get a card working for the BETTER older games?

04/23/2015 10:28 AM

Author Icon
Cornugon
Case Modder

Originally posted by: el_flesh Great. Since I have the same issue, how do i do that? 

Also, how hard would it be for AMD to make a patch for this anyways, so that loads of PAYING CUSTOMERS don't have to do all kinds of gymnastics to get a card working for the BETTER older games?

Why do you blame AMD? Like Thanny already said: a 64-bit Windows is incompatible with old 16-bit code, wether it's Windows 8.1 or XP 64.

Secondly it's usually the responsibility of the game devs to patch their games. However since LucasArts is nog longer among us there might be other ways like mod the game to work on newer OSes.

One google search took me here:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-x-wing-alliance-upgrade-project/tutorials/x-wing-alliance-installation-on-modern-operating-systems

-------------------------

Coolermaster HAF-X, Seasonic P-1200 Platinum, Asus X99-A, Intel i7 5960K @4.5GHz, Corsair Hydro Series H110, 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Black, MSI Radeon R9 290X Gaming 4G, Sapphire Radeon R9 290X, Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD, Seagate Desktop 4TB SSHD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB, Creative Soundblaster ZX, Windows 8.1 64bit.

04/23/2015 10:24 PM

Author Icon
el_flesh
Peon

Why blame AMD? Becasue this problem doesn't happen on OTHER modern cards. But it happens on AMD Radeon R9 200. So I request it be fixed. By AMD. 

If the request of a PAYING CUSTOMER get ignored, then I will regret having bought AMD. And next time I won't buy AMD if they don't get off their lazy ***** and FIX this. 

That's why I blame AMD. And that's why I am entirely right to do so. $$$ talks. And it will talk on the Darksaber forums. Which will be alot more active as we appraoch movie #7.  

Might want to break the mold of typical corporate greed, there, AMD.

oh, and btw, I already have it installed on my computer. The issue I'm having is that it WON'T play in 3D hardware using an AMD Radeon R9 200 card. But it will play in 3D hardware on other cards. Like nVidia. THAT'S the issue, since you weren't paying attention.

Edited: 04/23/2015 at 10:40 PM by el_flesh
 04/24/2015 08:29 AM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

You're clearly not acting entitled enough.  AMD will never capitulate if you have any semblance of maturity and reasonableness in your message, so you may as well unmuzzle yourself and let the spittle fly.

Or, you could age a bit and recognize that supporting a 16 year old game that won't even install or run without a third-party executable on a modern 64-bit OS is not going to be high on any company's priority list.  If it does indeed work with nVidia hardware (which I won't take your word for), it's coincidental.  If the game is that important to you, it won't be hard to find the parts to build an old PC on which it will work.  Or, indeed, to take my original advice in this resurrected thread to try out VirtualBox.  You can no doubt find tutorials on how to run a virtual machine elsewhere.

04/24/2015 09:39 AM

Author Icon
el_flesh
Peon

I'm not letting "spittle " fly. I'm closing my wallet for AMD and spending it elsewhere. Good work.

04/24/2015 10:55 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

With your failure to understand, you should be spending it on consoles.

-------------------------
AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 GHz Edition, 1TB Samsung 850 Evo, 256GB OCZ Vector, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ult Ed x64
Statistics
93066 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2015 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.