Topic Title: Input not... Support?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/27/2014 01:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/27/2014 01:45 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
the_vice_regent
Peon

Hi friendly tech folks,

hoping you can help me out with one very odd problem.

Graphics Card

Sapphire Radeon R7 260x 2 GB OC edition, as it came out of the box.

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- using Catalyst 14.4, and recently did a clean install, so there are no previous drivers or Catalyst versions.

Operating System
- Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 

Issue Details
- Upon loading the Steam version of Magic 2014. As soon as the game starts, the screen goes black but for the words "Input not support" moving slowly across it. This continues until I have either alt-tabbed out or pulled up task manager. 

This issue was previously also occuring in Heroes VI Complete Edition

http://store.steampowered.com/app/48220/

but after having completed a full reformat of the computer and reinstall of Windows, that is no longer happening.

This happens every time I load the game. I have attempted to load it in Safe Mode, but safe mode does not meet the game's minimal requirements. 

I had wondered whether it might be my monitor, and contacted AOC about it; they have just informed me that:

"'Input not support' means that input vertical or horizontal frequency is out of monitor supporting range. Monitor spec calls vertical frequency range from 50 – 76 hz and horizontal from 30K – 83Khz.

The video output frequency is controlled by the computer BIOS, program, or video card driver. You may want to check your game video output setting or video card output setting. Especially, on vertical frequency, it needs to be in the range."

I believe them, but don't really understand how to deal with that. Hopefully through Catalyst? I'm really, really hoping?

I have no idea whether it is relevant, but I did briefly have the computer connected to a Sony television rather than this monitor through HDMI around the same time that this issue began. 

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

Power Supply

- OCZ 550W-620W. Unfortunately has no product page, and I have no handy camera.

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- Connected via direct HDMI cable to AOC 27" monitor, model E2752Vh

Applications and Games

- Issue occurs in the Steam version of Magic 2014, http://store.steampowered.com/app/213850/

As it is steam, it is fully up to date. 

CPU Details

- Intel Core i5- 2500K CPU @ 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz, stock

Motherboard BIOS Version
- the BIOS version is displayed as soon as your system is powered on (ex: ASUS BIOS 1015)

System Memory Type & Amount
- 16GB EVM DDR3 

Additional Hardware
- Hard drive: 2 TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001-9YN164 ATA

One case fan, one LG Modisc optical drive, no other devices.

Additional Details
-Avast is running and up to date, and as mentioned, I reformatted earlier today, so malware is unlikely.
- I have not done any of the stated hardware checks, but I can tell you that I am able to run games that are vastly more taxing on the processor and video card (namely, Saint's Row IV runs fine, while Magic 2014 brings up the issue).

-Bring to bear those brains mightier than my own, then when you're done consulting your pet gerbils, please help!

06/27/2014 02:33 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

You should be complaining to STEAM as to why they sold you a broken game, but see if you can go into the config file and manually change the refresh rate to 60hz.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 06/27/2014 02:41 AM

Author Icon
the_vice_regent
Peon

See, the strange part is that I've played the game before. I get the feeling that it somehow got stuck on the tv's refresh rate.

And at this point, I think Steam would just laugh at me; they've already got... well... all my money. Damn summer sales.

As to manually changing the refresh rate, I love that idea. Off to the Googles, in hopes that they will teach me how. Thanks for the help!

06/27/2014 02:45 AM

Author Icon
the_vice_regent
Peon

Victory! 

Somehow the refresh rate in the config file was set to... 1. Can't see that working particularly well. 

Thanks again, black_zion, you rock. It was worth bothering to make an account!

06/27/2014 03:20 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

And quit using STEAM, you can usually find the same, if not better, deals from other sources.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
Statistics
84836 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.